Bought a used 2014 A6 tdi post-fix

JayCon

TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2010 Golf TDI 6M *sold*
I’ve been lurking for a few weeks while out car shopping... have a deposit on a 2014 A6 Tdi that is going through “the fix”. I drove it pre-fix and loved it.

The car is a 2 owner car - second was cpo - all services done at selling Audi dealer including new tires and brakes within 10k miles.

Car has 83k mikes now.

EDIT: i BOUGHT THE CAR

Last edited:

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
It is a fair price for a premium plus. Who is getting the fix money from Audi? Post-fix reviews have been mixed at best.

Last edited:
TDI
Audi Q5 TDI 3.0L
Put it through a thorough test drive post-fix before signing for the car. Vehicle should be cold when you start it. Don't go on highway immediately. Drive a bunch of stop lights seeing how it does in lower gears before it warms up. Hopefully it will still be satisfactory.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It is a fair price for a premium plus. Who is getting the fix money from Audi? Post-fix reviews have been mixed at best.
Where you say “mixed at best,” I would say indications are that the numbers of “bad fixes” are very small both as a raw number and as a ratio of all fixes performed. There are a number of reasons for this. Anecdotal evidence online is a poor measurement.

Put it through a thorough test drive post-fix before signing for the car. Vehicle should be cold when you start it. Don't go on highway immediately. Drive a bunch of stop lights seeing how it does in lower gears before it warms up. Hopefully it will still be satisfactory.
Yes, indeed. Hopefully any buyer will do a thorough drive test before purchasing, especially when the deal seems very cheap.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
It is a pretty good deal. I used to own one but sold it after the fix. The experience after the fix was not that great but I have to say that after few hundred miles, it came close to pre-fix experience.
The later generations Audi esp the tdi's have very low part failure rate as well. So that and the warranty will ensure you have a pleasure of not only good driving experience but also gentle on your pockets.
I have had good times with my A6 and I wish you the same.

JayCon

TDI
Picked the car up today - the dealer was confused about the "fix" as it was their first one...not having a lot of "before" experience all I can say is WOW. So far it's exactly what I was after. Traded a 2008 Cayman that was a fun weekend toy but when pushed into everyday driver status became a little too raw. I'm getting old.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
2015 Passat SE TDI 6sp man Candy white

Just bought on Tues 6.5.2018 19250 + Tax + Lic & LoJack Early Warning.
According to MFI display 50,56& 60 MPG on the freeway. Tends to be a lot easier to stall than my 97. NO Climatronic, Nav, Leather, HID Lights.... Does have Multi func Steering wheel, auto headlights, Rain sens wipers, Backup cam, sim lthr heated seats power driver man pass seat. Nice Car. Being a manual means no MoonRoof!;) 16,288mi at purchase car was also a CPO car.

Last edited:

JayCon

TDI
Got 33 mpg on the first tank with mixed driving... found the previous owner had averaged 31.7 before the “fix” so I think all in all it should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
Different driving styles and different commutes results in different mpg. My pre fix 2015 A6 has averaged 28.9 mpg over its 76,000 miles life. I have done as high as 43 mpg on a tank when I did an 800 mile highway trip. If I did more highway driving over the cars life the average mpg would be much higher. Who knows what the prior owner did behind the wheel.

JayCon

TDI
True. What cruising speed would get 40 mpg? I typically set it at 75-80. Not sure that’s going to get me 40+

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the mpg that the computer generates. There is tremendous variation between cars, both pre and post fix.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Traded a 2008 Cayman that was a fun weekend toy but when pushed into everyday driver status became a little too raw. I'm getting old.

I might have been interested in that Cayman. How many miles, and what did you get for the trade-in?

JayCon

TDI
I’ve now driven the car about 3000 miles and am averaging over 33 mpg with mostly highway driving ( calculated ) with best tank of 34.6 mpg. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I keep my highway speed below ~ 68 ish mph my fuel economy per display will jump to high 30’s and low 40’s....I just don’t have the discipline or patience to drive that slow. Are the pre-fix cars as speed sensitive as the post fix cars?

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I’ve now driven the car about 3000 miles and am averaging over 33 mpg with mostly highway driving ( calculated ) with best tank of 34.6 mpg. One thing I’ve noticed is that if I keep my highway speed below ~ 68 ish mph my fuel economy per display will jump to high 30’s and low 40’s....I just don’t have the discipline or patience to drive that slow. Are the pre-fix cars as speed sensitive as the post fix cars?

My pre fix 2015 A6 TDI shows a similar jump in displayed mpg when the speedometer reads high 60s. I only showed discipline on one tank of diesel. I had to drive over 800 miles in a single day. I set the cruise for 68 mph. I averaged 43 mpg and got 823 miles on a single tank!

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Air resistance goes up at the cube of speed, so around that does is when you will really start to notice a drop in efficiency on any car, unless there is something else like bad gear ratios holding efficiency back at lower speeds.