The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yesterday took the B4 to a local dealer to test drive an NMS Passat. Manual transmission, probably soon to be a unicorn. Honestly I like the B4 better.

When I was leaving the showroom the service manager found me and said everyone in the service department was checking out my B4 because they never see any and mine is so clean (well, reasonably clean). Funny how the oldest car at the dealership was getting the most attention.
That happened to me when I took my B3V tdi to a big GM dealer to get the car aligned. I had a buddy who worked there that I trusted to do it properly so I went there, the crowd of mechs standing looking under the hood was so funny.

Kinda nice to get the attention for once!!

As for the Passat NMS I think you're right, that will be a unicorn unfortunately. Not much out there with MT anymore in a size that's usable. I guess most people can't handle much more than a go pedal these days. I just don't trust modern AT's and I'm not in the mood to pay for a rebuild on any new AT should it fail. I'd have to own in warranty and TBH there's not much out there that I would want to spend money on, and at the moment it all appears to be big money.

Steve

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
I planned to do them on the vehicle. I rented a slide hammer and purchased that kit from HF. After a few hours of the slide hammer not working I gave up and took it off. The bearing was actually welded to the inside race of the bearing so the slide hammer just wouldn't get it. I'd have much rather left it attached but it was not a possibility.

Today I used white lithium grease on the windshield wiper joints. They were both rusted and not allowing them to work effectively leaving big streaks on the windshield. Now work great!

Side note replaced the leaky trans lines on my buddies 2014 Chevy 1500. They use 2 little metal retainer clips to hook to the radiator...what a pain...

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Good news and bad news.

Good first! I flushed the power steering, got the nasty brown stuff out and replaced with nice CHF 202.

Bad news. I need a new turbo mine is blowing oil past the seals. Removed the lower intercooler line and about a cup full came flowing out. I emptied the intercooler less than 500 miles ago. That one hurts the check book.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
When I was leaving the showroom the service manager found me and said everyone in the service department was checking out my B4 because they never see any and mine is so clean (well, reasonably clean). Funny how the oldest car at the dealership was getting the most attention.
Though I can't claim as clean this is why I can't just dump my wagon... The sedan is now sorted DD and I keep aggravating my wife with all the little fixes before I list the sedan & wagon for sale.

In dumping both the VR6 wagons (going to be 24 hours of Lemons Passat Ute) at the scrapper this weekend I found decent shape Cabrio heated leather that is currently going in the B4V... I might even do a bit of research on safety of making the airbags operable. Who knows, I might even have to put the 5-lug swap in and keep the damn thing ;-)

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news and bad news.

Good first! I flushed the power steering, got the nasty brown stuff out and replaced with nice CHF 202.

Bad news. I need a new turbo mine is blowing oil past the seals. Removed the lower intercooler line and about a cup full came flowing out. I emptied the intercooler less than 500 miles ago. That one hurts the check book.
Might have a stock Garret floating around

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
I'm looking at them right now trying to piece on together with parts form KarmaTDI and IDparts. Hard to find everything I need as the sites no longer have "Everything" to replace it. I'm thinking about going K3.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking at them right now trying to piece on together with parts form KarmaTDI and IDparts. Hard to find everything I need as the sites no longer have "Everything" to replace it. I'm thinking about going K3.
Check in with IBW (Peter) and put the fancy upgrade in... ;-)

I'm pretty sure they also have the turbo install kit for the stock unit

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
I considered the upgrade but this guy needs to stick with stock for the daily driver :) Thank you though I really appreciate it. Pulled the trigger on Karma's K3 and a few odds and ends from IDparts. I hope I can salvage a few bolts! My 2015 STI is for play and that bad boy already pushes 350 HP.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Took the mk3 to an exhaust shop yesterday to get a downpipe made for it. Then finally got to drive it after upgrading to the BHW turbo. I am shocked at the difference. :eek:

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Productive evening! I sure don't know when to stop and I have no plans on letting anything go unfixed.

Finally my Turbo and parts came in! I removed the exhaust manifold, downpipe, 5th injector, and turbo. While down there I deleted the 5th injector and plugged the hole by cutting up the old line and filling it with JB weld. The end is only a half inch long so I'm okay with it. I already deleted the fuel line but wanted a little more room down there.

Cleaned up the Exhaust manifold, the contact points are all shiny now. New turbo installed on the exhaust manifold with steel braided feed line from KarmaTDI and return line is updated to 97+ line. YAY no more Banjo bolt! Install to be done tonight I hope.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
The B4V has been marking it's spot with a drop of oil every time it sits over night. Oil was coming from the intercooler. It was January 2017 when Matt replaced the lower intercooler hose.

So we drained the oil from the intercooler yesterday. Only got an ounce or two, just a drop or two at a time. Then we cleaned up the garage floor till I ran out of brake cleaner.
Plan is to take a long drive on the weekend, then park it on the now cleaned garage to see if we got all the oil out of the intercooler.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Serpentine tensioner was getting stiff and caused the belt to go off center and melt the pulley. Went in to replace it with the silver INA unit and noticed some oil. Looks like my cam seal is leaking again. I guess moving the seal in some one installation, and out the other isn’t making a difference. Both times a good leak on the TB. I’m going to do the unthinkable and actually use a PTFE cam seal. First time ever using one in 12 years. Let’s hope it’s not a bust.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
The B4V has been marking it's spot with a drop of oil every time it sits over night. Oil was coming from the intercooler.
Mine was doing this too. I removed the IC and cleaned it off, then pressurized it by cobbling together some hose and plugs etc. I put 12 or 15 psi to it and sprayed saopy water on it to find the leaks. I cinched on the crimps in thate leaky area and re-tested finding it held pressure. No seeping anymore.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Went to the JY to get a spare Audi PW motor connector since it's the same used for the TDI IP on Mk3/B4.

I have no idea what other models use this connector but on a lot of Audi cars it's the same as power windows, and it's fully populated with wires. And often you'll find an A6 or A4 with the door cards ripped off and the connector in easy reach.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Any plans for the connector? Just curious why the special trip....

I’ve grabbed a couple of these plugs, but only when the door panel was already off... laziness.

Grabbed a set of A3 Jetta washer nozzles, today at the JY. I like the way these fan spray across the entire windshield, vs the 2 streams on the B4.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Any plans for the connector? Just curious why the special trip....

I’ve grabbed a couple of these plugs, but only when the door panel was already off... laziness.

Grabbed a set of A3 Jetta washer nozzles, today at the JY. I like the way these fan spray across the entire windshield, vs the 2 streams on the B4.

-Todd
Ha! No special plans, but I had to send my last one to someone else and I was planning on going to the JY anyway to see a friend who works there. Since I noticed the Audi with the door card removed I took the opportunity to snag one, otherwise it was just too hot to be out there.

I didn't know that the A3 nozzles fit the B4, I don't think they fit B3, which use the more elongated version. The B3 has the cold climate package with heated nozzles so I've not had to worry about finding those.

I do know that the pre-97 Mk3 used the earlier style washer nozzles, the 97 up used the square boxy type I think you're talking about.

I'd really like to find a Mk3 with the heated nozzles, those I don't see very often and typically on GLX or Wolfsburg models. My Mk3 does not have that setup but I would bother installing those if I found them.

Steve

Last edited:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
On my 96 B4s - I replaced the OEM washer nozzles with heated washer nozzles from 96 B4 GLX.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't know that the A3 nozzles fit the B4, I don't think they fit B3, which use the more elongated version. The B3 has the cold climate package so I've not had to worry about.

I do know that the pre-97 Mk3 used the earlier style washer nozzles, the 97 up used the square boxy type I think you're talking about.

I grabbed a set that protrude through the hood. My Rotbox is a 97 or 98 and it has this style. I’m not 100% sure they’ll be a direct fit n a B4, but I figure they could be modded somehow. I actually grabbed them for my truck. I figured they could be shaved down and compression would hold them in the hood vents.

I did see a later Cabrio with the boxy style, that hide under the hood edge. I can grab a set to experiment with, next time.

Now that you mention it, I grabbed a heated set years ago... I need to find them. I’m guessing if they’re from a B4, they’ll be the 2 jet style? I’m curious if my climate actually warrants the installation.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went back to the JY today. Grabbed a set of nozzles from an earlier A3 Jetta and the later boxy set of a Cabrio.

The early set is the same as what my 96 and 97 B4s have. The set I pulled off the 98 Jetta would fit if I was willing to file the hole wider (which I’d do) but they’d leave an exposed area where the existing hole is. Not willing to do bodywork or get the hood painted for washer nozzles, so it’s a no go.

The Cabrio set won’t work, because they’ll foul against the rain tray edge. Not going to cut the rain tray for this.

I installed the 98 set on the truck and the jets aren’t adjustable, and they spray too low.

At least I didn’t spend more than 30 min on this...

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I went back to the JY today. Grabbed a set of nozzles from an earlier A3 Jetta and the later boxy set of a Cabrio.

The early set is the same as what my 96 and 97 B4s have. The set I pulled off the 98 Jetta would fit if I was willing to file the hole wider (which I’d do) but they’d leave an exposed area where the existing hole is. Not willing to do bodywork or get the hood painted for washer nozzles, so it’s a no go.

The Cabrio set won’t work, because they’ll foul against the rain tray edge. Not going to cut the rain tray for this.

I installed the 98 set on the truck and the jets aren’t adjustable, and they spray too low.

At least I didn’t spend more than 30 min on this...

-Todd
Yeah, I knew there were some differences but I couldn't remember what nozzles fit what car. I just know that the early nozzles don't work on the later cars as far as Mk3. I didn't realize that you couldn't re-position the nozzles to spray better though, that's odd.

The later Mk3 nozzles can be made heated with the proper inserts, they actually can be removed and reinstalled.

The B3 (and I assume late mk2) nozzles are longer and thinner, and you can position the spray where you want it. Finding heated versions are more difficult though now because so many cars have gone through the system and finding a Mk2/B3 in the JY is rare, at least around here. I don't expect that to change in the future either.

Sorry what you found didn't work out...

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not a huge deal. I went back for the Jetta TDI and got what I went for. The washer nozzles were an experiment and it seems the NB nozzles are the same as the Cabrio, later A4 Jetta, etc... heated, too.

I also found an Audi A4 with both door panels removed, so guess what I grabbed, lol.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Replaced the hatch lift supports on the B3V, man what a difference that made! Now when it's cold out the stupid thing will stay up instead of slowly descending until it hits my head.

Steve

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Dang..., I think about my B4 often !
Hopefully I'll get the new turbo and install soon(this year ?), I've gotten tired of paying storage :-((((

Sad my dollar does not go as far in the present vehicle(Volvo V40 Variant), than the B4 Variant.

TBOxnitemare

TDI
1996 passat TDI
Replaced my master cylinder and boy what a difference! I thought it was my brake booster or vacuum. Brakes are steady and at full power now. Best decision ever!
Also changed out the inner tie rod on my passanger side. She doesn't shake anymore and goes straight down the road. Less and less to do to my VW.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
so i guess i found my problem anyway. so a few weeks ago i had replaced everything water. had listed my work. so it seems the lower thermo flange may not have been involved at all. the problem now is after dropping the thermo and putting in a new flange, there, and orings, now its a few degrees cooler.
so the problem as it turns out may be, only, the front flange. so i had gotten the partsplace hose kit. the hose that comes off that bottom flange to water pump w/hose to oil cooler. so the hoses ive gotten are the wrong length. also it looks as the oil cooler hose doesnt fit 100% right. the hose that is supposed to fit on the lower flange is to long, so by trimming to a length that will fit, the hose narrows, it wont fit the flange. so i fitted this up, the oil cooler hose looked like it had pressure on it, so i trimmed to try to make it fit, butchered it. after trying to make something fit, wouldnt work. so i guess i went to napa, its like a $60 hose(combo), so i go to advanced, had it the next day, $20+, same thing, had to trim. took a pex brass fitting, may have been different sizes. and its a set of clamps to go with it., oh and a hose to fit flange. put on the oil cooler hose, it doesnt look right, guess its ok.(?).
so when i was struggling to get this hose to fit, i forget, i guess i had the head flange off. so now the flange has a crack in it. letting water come out, it ends up coming out of upper bolt. so i dont know what cracked it, trying to make hose fit, of over snugging it. put some goop in it, rtv, put oring over it, and tighten, waited over night, no go, still leaks, now pretty good. was trying for a temp seal. nope. when i replaced the lower thermo flange, it didnt leak as much, by replacing oring its leaking now. idk.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
irk then sarcasm, nice.

(i suppose)its in interjection, its a transition betw one thought and another, its not a big deal. jeez srry for the imprecise, not proper sentence structure, and if grammar as well.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
irk then sarcasm, nice.

(i suppose)its in interjection, its a transition betw one thought and another, its not a big deal. jeez srry for the imprecise, not proper sentence structure, and if grammar as well.

Honestly, your posts are very hard to read. Most non native English speakers can do a reasonable job of writing/posting in English that is much easier to read than your posts.

No sarcasm intended from me. Just an observation.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I don't see where I was sarcastic. I felt the post to be blunt and to the point.

John has it - your posts are VERY difficult to read. There is some good content, but it gets lost in the verbal diarrhea.

It (to me) comes across as though you can't be bothered to put your thoughts down in a form beneficial to anyone other than yourself - that's not what this forum is about.