golf tdi starting problems

whateva411

TDI
115gttdi ajm
I've got a gttdi 115 its the ajm engine (pd)
Recently i had it serviced from a local garage. But since iv had it back in the mornings or during general cold starts the engine comes on and then cuts out shortly after i rev it for a bit. And then finally after crannking it a few times it starts working and goes fine after that.
I'v changed the engine temp sensor and its had no effect.
Bu im thinking it might have something to do with the fuel filter or fuel pump!
Any ideas?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Try the filter first... how many miles since the last change?

DERV-NERD

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT PD130
Tandom pump maybe! they do leak causing air locks in the fuel flow. Also when the filter was changed did the 2 little o-rings also get changed?

werewolf

Veteran Member
TDI
03 New Beetle TDI Jetta,03 & 04 TDI, Golf 04 TDI
Pulled sending unit out of tank, took a peek in, and found a tank full of green,brown, cloudy fuel!:eek:

Pumped out cloudy green crap, swabed out tank, put in fresh fuel that look like green clear Moutain Dew and BAM starts and runs like a champ hot or cold!!!

People that are having long starting problems should first take a look in your tank and see if you got a load of crap from your filling station before you start tearing the motor apart like I did, and of course a new fuel filter!

Happy and running again! :)

whateva411

TDI
115gttdi ajm
well after attempting a million things on the cold start as in first time i start the car during the day i checked the fule filter by turning the ignition key once i noticed that no fuel seems to be going into the filter and no fuel seems to be coming out of the fuel filter into the engine!
Could this be a problem with the fuel pump?

bobseptic

TDI
pd200
not all AJM pd115 have a pump in the tank and rely on the tandem pump pulling up the fuel when the engine is running.

have a look under the rear carpet under the rear seat and if the connector going to the fuel tank has only 2 wires you dont have a lift pump in the tank.

if the car was fine before the service i would replace the fuel filter again and make sure rubber o rings are in place. maybe even change the thermostat T piece that the rings connect to.

Last edited: