oil?

jaycee

TDI
2013 jetta sportwagen
2013 tdi sportwagen: Recently purchased TDI sport wagon and I’m going to be changing the oil for the first time. Volkswagen recommends Castrol but I assume that’s just because they have some kind of marketing deal with them and I’ve always heard bad things about that brand of oil. Looking into mobile one synthetic 5W-30 ESP? Are there any links to actual testing reviews not just opinions

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This has been answered here many times, but as long as you get an oil that meets VW's 507.00 specification you're fine. Castrol, Liqui-Moly, Rowe, Total, Pentosin, and Mobil all make oils that meet that spec.

And in the category of shameless plugs, our site (idparts.com) has $20 off oil change kits this month.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes any 507 spec oil will do fine, even Castrol. If you want the minutia to get all involved in read the threads already here or at Bob is the oil guy. More than enough to put you to sleep many times over. Odds are you won't even have the car anymore before you would ever notice any differences from different oils, even at hundreds of thousands of miles. Just change it as recommended with proper spec oil and filters. I have done business with idparts.com and they are great as a resource both for parts and information! Just a satisfied customer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think it's Blue Graphite, as I don't think Indigo Blue was available in '13. Here's my Blue Graphite 2012 Golf:

And here's my '02 Wagon

I like both colors, but Indigo Blue is interesting because it looks different in different light.

Sadly I sold the Golf (before the scandal), but the Wagon keeps going and going...

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
This has been answered here many times, but as long as you get an oil that meets VW's 507.00 specification you're fine. Castrol, Liqui-Moly, Rowe, Total, Pentosin, and Mobil all make oils that meet that spec.

And in the category of shameless plugs, our site (idparts.com) has $20 off oil change kits this month.

have a link to the oil kit?

yes - I too had an '02 indigo wagon... just started to accumulate too many issues... now I have a '15 silver wagon - it does get way better fuel economy than the ALH.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Must be pretty difficult for you to cut and paste the web address from his post and then enter your car info and pick the oil change kits. Do people have to hold your hand to do other simple things in life as well? You have been here a long time so I would assume you could do this kind of thing without having to have someone else do it for you. I usually don't help people do things that they are too lazy to do themselves and are very simple to do in the first place. You are welcome.

Maybe you can help me with a link to that search engine called Google. I need to look something up.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Easy now, let's not scare away the customers. :) Cool Porsche, btw. My uncle had a forest green '67 912.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Research is good

2013 tdi sportwagen: Recently purchased TDI sport wagon and I’m going to be changing the oil for the first time. Volkswagen recommends Castrol but I assume that’s just because they have some kind of marketing deal with them and I’ve always heard bad things about that brand of oil. Looking into mobile one synthetic 5W-30 ESP? Are there any links to actual testing reviews not just opinions
Nothing wrong with researching if you have the time. A few sites come to mind from different angles:

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA)

VOA (virgin oil analysis) tables for mid & full SAPS european oils (look for post # 4173518)

Afton Specification Handbook

Lubrizol Relative Performance Comparison Tool for Passenger Vehicles

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf

I took advantage of that sale. Score.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What do you mean by "this oil"? Oil that meets the 507.00 spec? Or Castrol? VW has an exclusive distribution relationship with Castrol for the 507.00 oil. The other brands of 507.00 oil you can buy online, mostly. Some parts stores may have it, but the big names (Autozone, Advance, etc.) typically don't. Nor does Walmart.

jaycee

TDI
2013 jetta sportwagen
Sorry I should’ve been more specific, yes I meant the 507 spec a while I cannot find it at any auto parts stores, but I did just find out they sell it at some VW dealerships

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I bought from amazon, a pack of 3 5qt. jugs for $110 shipped, Total Quartz Ineo Long Life, never heard of the stuff until I started looking for 507

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any of our vendors will have this spec. Idparts is one:

https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cbeacjaa-p-1135.html

They sell kits like this for every interval as well as parts and such. They are very good and I have purchased a lot of parts for various vehicles I have owned over the last 15 years. There are other great vendors as well. I would check with them first as they usually have exactly what you need and in a kit. We like to use our own vendors if possible as they help support the site here. Amazon is also a choice but you have to know exactly what you are buying before using. Idparts also has answers to your questions. The dealer should always have the oil and filters on hand as well as other regular service parts.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Any of our vendors will have this spec. Idparts is one:

https://www.idparts.com/20l-tdi-oil-change-kit-cbeacjaa-p-1135.html

They sell kits like this for every interval as well as parts and such. They are very good and I have purchased a lot of parts for various vehicles I have owned over the last 15 years. There are other great vendors as well. I would check with them first as they usually have exactly what you need and in a kit. We like to use our own vendors if possible as they help support the site here. Amazon is also a choice but you have to know exactly what you are buying before using. Idparts also has answers to your questions. The dealer should always have the oil and filters on hand as well as other regular service parts.

+1 on READING what spec the oil meets on Amazon. Be very careful that you get the right stuff.