06 BRM Cranks, Starts then immediately DIES.

phil2810

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Jetta 2006 cranks strong and STARTS - and will respond to fuel pedal for about 1 second then dies - like it's starved for air.

I had an ALH that had a KILL SWITCH (valve maybe) that was made to stop the engine. Mine would get stuck from time to time and I'd have to free it up to get the engine to start. I believe it was in the air intake and was meant to starve the engine.
I cant even find anything that looks like what I remember .

Does the PD BRM have a similar problem and, if so, what is the fix?

If not, what do the original listed symptoms sound like? It was 45 here this morning in Florida (sorry all you frozen folks), so I don't think it's anything to do with that - and it STARTS for a second or two and sounds fine - then just dies.....

Thanks

Phil

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Check your ASV, the amount of air already in the engine will allow it to start but if the ASV is closed it will sufficate quickly as described.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I'm going to search ASV in the forums, but if you're not busy... any quick identifiers for me to look for?
Pop the intake hose off the ASV and cycle the key if the ASV opens and closes its likely good. Some call it a throttle plate others ASV (anti-shutter valve).

phil2810

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Pulled intake coming from intercoller and ASV in horizontal (wide open).

Noticed "key" immobilizer symbol and I'm sure it's because I used the wrong key this morning. Any idea's on that front?

Phil

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your immo tripped. Put the correct key in, turn the key ON, and let the car sit for about an hour. Make sure all the electrical consumers are switched off, and if you have a battery charger I'd stick it on just to be safe.

Then, see if it starts and stays running.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
Your immo tripped. Put the correct key in, turn the key ON, and let the car sit for about an hour. Make sure all the electrical consumers are switched off, and if you have a battery charger I'd stick it on just to be safe.
Then, see if it starts and stays running.
This worked for my 06 Jetta BRM. Car would start up fine and immediately shut off. I followed Oilhammers procedure and waited an hour, and charged it during that time as well, and it started fine.