MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

trscott

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG 13k miles, Black w/ Grey interior
Some info on red mfd

Mr. Timewise, Per my previous:
I realize it lacks the phonebook integration, but will it display info about pairing and that sort of control on the red MFD?
If you have a 2010, then it must be a white MFD? Does your 9W2 display any prompts for the phone on the MFD?

I think I would need some prompts to know when I am accessing the 9W2, pairing, unpairing, incoming call prompt, etc. Maybe these things can all be done by listening for beeps or something.

I have the MFSW, but not the overhead controls with the LED. I don't have a radio or nav that will display anything (Premium7 Radio, RCD-500 I guess?).

Bottom line, I guess I am wondering if there is a 9W2 part number that will display prompts and things on the red MFD.

Thanks!

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
My 2010 Jetta originally had an instrument cluster with the simple white full size MFD without any phone information. At that time I had a 9W2 (the one shown in my previous post), as well as an RCD-510. The RCD-510 did not display any phone info.

The pairing, incoming call prompt, hang-up, muting, private mode, etc were all handled by an overhead button assembly (three buttons plus a green/amber/red LED). The steering wheel had no control buttons of any sort.

Calls were initiated by dialing on the phone itself. Answering was by the phone or pressing an overhead button.

Initial pairing was via an overhead button, but once that was done the pairing became automatic when the car was started as long as the phone was turned on at the time. (Or you could press one of the overhead buttons to make the car's Bluetooth "visible for 3 minutes" and pair a phone after the car was running.)

The simple white MFD that had been in my car meant that the overhead buttons were a necessity. This is because the simple white MFD will not show phone info whether or not there is a MFSW and a proper steering wheel control module.

With an MFSW the "phone" and "microphone" buttons can be used to answer and hang-up calls. But there is no button to use for initially pairing the phone. Some control method would be needed to search for and pair a phone. Either an overhead "pairing" button is needed, or a proper MFD instrument cluster selection method is needed. Without overhead control buttons it would be necessary to use a MFD to pair the phone.

My understanding is that your RED MFD will display phone info and allow pairing to a phone using the MFSW buttons, but only with a "1Z0 035 729 B" BT module.

I have also been told by a contributor to this forum that a "1K8 035 730 C" will work (i.e., communicate with a phone) in a 2009 with red MFD, although the MFD won't display the BT information because the CAN-bus data protocol is different (i.e., the red MFA+ does not use the BAP protocol [Bedien und Anzeige Protokoll], but instead uses the Display Data Protocol (DDP)). The phone pairing could be done in another car having a white MFD phone menu or overhead buttons, and then you could theoretically transfer the 1K8 035 730 C to a car with a red MFD and be able to use it with the buttons on a MFSW...but you'd still have no red MFD info.

See this site for good info on installing 9W2/9W3/9W7:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm

and

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/9w7-VW-bluetooth-module.htm

Here are a couple extractions...
9w2 bluetooth from Jetta, Golf, or Sportwagen (wagon) TDI

9w2 bluetooth lets you talk and receive but there is no phone book capability. You can still use voice control through your mobile phone to place outgoing calls, if equipped. It also has A2DP (bluetooth streaming music capability). An example of A2DP is wirelessly playing music directly from your iphone over the stereo. These were commonly found on 2010 Golf and sportwagon (sportwagen).
When combined with the RNS 510 GPS it does not display the phonebook over the touchscreen display.
Some part numbers for the 2010+ (white MFD) are 1k8 035 730 c (1k8035730c) and 1k8 035 730 d (1k8035730d)
The bluetooth antenna is internal.

9w2 VW bluetooth setup and use

2009 TDI with 9w2 with the red MFD should use part number VW# 1z0 035 729A [edit: I believe this info is slightly incorrect - the 1Z0 035 729 B is the proper "9W2" for the US market allowing the red MFD to show BT info]. 2010 and newer TDI with 9w2 and the white MFD 2010 and newer should use part number VW# 1z0 035 729 c and code 0011070. Others have reported 1k8 035 730 c. While you can't have voice dialing or a phone book menu in the MFD, if your phone has voice dialing you could open the Bluetooth and dial from the phone.
If your car came with 9w2 and the overhead bluetooth console, you lose its function if you install 9w3. 9w7 keeps the overhead bluetooth buttons active.
Initial Setup – “Pairing”
1. Switch on the customer’s Bluetooth-enabled cellular phone and the vehicle’s ignition. (This makes the Bluetooth “visible.” You must pair the system and phone within the five minutes it remains visible.)
2. Activate the Bluetooth feature in the phone and initiate a search for Bluetooth devices or audio enhancements.
3. Select ‘VW UHV’
4. Enter the Bluetooth pass code ‘0000’ on the phone. (On some phones, you will need to confirm the connection separately.)
5. Optional: To allow the phone and Bluetooth to connect automatically, set the Bluetooth system as an “authorized device” in the phone’s Bluetooth menu.
6. The Bluetooth system is now paired with the phone and ready for use. The pass code is not needed to connect the devices again.
Please see the user guides of the Bluetooth system and your mobile phone for more detailed descriptions.

Place a Call
1. To place a call, enter the number on your phone, or find the contact in your phone’s phonebook.
2. Press the green call button on your phone. The phone will immediately “ring” through the Volkswagen sound system.

Answer a Call
1. When connected to the Bluetooth system, an incoming call will mute the car radio and the ringtone will sound over the car speakers (if enabled).
2. To answer the call, press once on the phone button. You can now speak hands-free in your car and hear your call over your car speakers.

Ignore a Call
To ignore an incoming call, press and hold the phone button for more than 2 seconds.

End a Call
To end a call, press the phone button once.

Switch to Private Mode
To switch to private mode during a call, press and hold the phone button for more than 2 seconds.
If the phone supports “Advanced Audio Distribution Profile” (A2DP), music stored on the phone can be played over the radio or radio navigation system through the car speakers.
1. On the cell phone, select the music playback mode (such as “play via Bluetooth”), then select the device “VW UHV.”
2. Press the button on the radio or radio navigation system to select the media menu.
3. On the phone’s music menu, select the desired songs/playlist and press “play.” The music will begin The music plays on the Volkswagen sound system. When receiving an incoming call or placing a call, the music will pause and the phone call audio will be heard over the car speakers. When the call ends, the music will restart.
And another page of MFD info:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm

Also check this site for more BT module compatibilities:

http://www.my-gti.com/1080/volkswagen-skoda-bluetooth-model-differences

Or you could try this avenue for information...

Go to your dealer's parts department, give them your VIN and ask them to look up the BT module for your car. My dealer gets a display of all the modules available...including the newest ones. In particular, the VW parts system will generally stipulate the newest and most upgraded module which will work in the car.

And actually, the very first posting in this thread has some of the best info:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2720677&postcount=1

Last edited:

spitfire411

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
I have owned a 2009 Jetta TDI Highline (MFSW, red MFD) since late 2009 and have never known I could call out using voice dialing until yesterday when I found this thread. The first post is awesome.

It is actually my wife's car and she has always had to use her phone to dial out, but now I just need to get her to program in her most used numbers and she should be completely hands free. In Alberta, they are implementing new hands-free laws, so that was my motivation to getting to the bottom of this very confusing BT business.

I found this video helpful in programming the phone book. He is in a newer car, but the system works the same, just press the star button instead of the mic button as he says.

http://www.youtube.com/askavwsalesguy#p/search/0/cZoAKjrhPcQ

xtu1963

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have the '11 Jetta TDI with the Premium-8 stereo. Am I reading this all correctly that with a VAG-COM my unit could be made to show the phone menu in the MFD? That would be fantastic. I hate having to pickup the phone without knowing who is calling. Anyone in the NE Mass. area with a VAG-COM that could program me for this functionality?

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
FISCON BASIC resolution.

bought BT basic in fall 2009. Worked until fall 2010 when the KUFATEC started to disconnect and disappear from the red MFD. I had to unplug and plug back the module for it to work, only to have it disappear and stop working the next day. Kufatec updated my software in jan 2011 but it kept on doing it. I ordered a new harness with no improvement. Finally, I ordered a new module which looks completely different (circuit board looks updated with perhaps the same chip). I plugged it in and no DISCONNECT.

Im a happy camper, but I hope this module lasts longer than 12 months.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
the Motorola Admiral (XT603) does pair, and requests phone book access. after that, no problems

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
So it appears that the bluetooth module issue is now a class action status lawsuit. I just received settlement papers in the mail today. You can be reimbursed for the costs of an upgrade to 9w3 or 9w7 modules or you can have the installation of a bluetooth upgrade kit. Does anyone out there know exactly what they mean by a "bluetooth upgrade kit"? Does this mean they will pay to install 9w3 or 9w7, or something else?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Wow, this is interesting. I'm still using the original bluetooth module (9W2, I believe) that came in my 2010 Golf. Are you saying that I'm entitled to an upgrade to 9W7 at no charge? Is there anything I need to do to enroll for this?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I'm not sure what we're entitled to. Hopefully either 9w3 or 9w7 is what they mean by "Bluetooth Upgrade Kit". According to the class action notification MY 2010 Golf TDI is included as in Golf 2.5 with bluetooth option. You should go to www.christensensettlement.com to see if you qualify and get claim forms.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thank you for the link!!! I just downloaded the claim form and all of the supporting documents. I'm going to be reimbursed for buying the 9W7 that I installed in my 2010 Golf TDI. For my car, all you needed for a "kit" was the 9W7. It was simple plug-n-play.

This is great news!!!

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
No problem. I have a call into the corporation handling the settlement to see what they mean by "upgrade kit". I left a message with a person handling this case.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, so it looks like this settlement would only affect people who have purchased 9W3 or 9W7 modules (prior to 1/12/2012, so there's still time), with the reward being reimbursement. But it doesn't look like this settlement would get you a 9W7 module directly; you have to purchase the module first, and then hope for the settlement.

I'm sure the info is earlier in this 310+ post thread, but how much does a 9W7 module cost, and where's the best place to get one? Is any VAGCOM programming required, or is it plug and play? Am I remembering correctly that you lose the functionality of the green LED up near the reading lights? Do you lose anything else by going with the 9W7? What functionality does 9W7 provide that 9W2 doesn't? Does it show the phone's address book in the MFD?

I apologize for asking questions like these, but the Bluetooth thread sort of went dormant for awhile, and now I can't remember all the details, and don't want to read 300 posts to reacquaint myself with all the nitty-gritty details.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
We have won the class action, VWGoA has agreed to reinburse the money for the parts and labor and provide the parts/ service to others ...

if you have not already received the letter from VWGoA... all claims must be filed by March 27 2012,

https://christensensettlement.com/

or call 1888 334-6162 if you have any questions

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
Excellent. I will mail my claim form tomorrow.

This forum continues to prove how valuable of a resource it is.

You say I will receive this claim form in the mail automatically?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
OK, so it looks like this settlement would only affect people who have purchased 9W3 or 9W7 modules (prior to 1/12/2012, so there's still time), with the reward being reimbursement. But it doesn't look like this settlement would get you a 9W7 module directly; you have to purchase the module first, and then hope for the settlement.

I'm sure the info is earlier in this 310+ post thread, but how much does a 9W7 module cost, and where's the best place to get one? Is any VAGCOM programming required, or is it plug and play? Am I remembering correctly that you lose the functionality of the green LED up near the reading lights? Do you lose anything else by going with the 9W7? What functionality does 9W7 provide that 9W2 doesn't? Does it show the phone's address book in the MFD?

I apologize for asking questions like these, but the Bluetooth thread sort of went dormant for awhile, and now I can't remember all the details, and don't want to read 300 posts to reacquaint myself with all the nitty-gritty details.

The class action settlement includes BOTH options for reimbursement for those who already put in a 9w3 or 9w7 module AND the option of a dealer installed "Bluetooth upgrade kit" for those who haven't done an upgrade on their own previously. What I'm trying to figure out is what is exactly meant by a "bluetooth upgrade kit". Is this the 9w3 or 9w7 module, or some other item....

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going on the assumption that the "bluetooth upgrade kit" is the 9W7 module.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
That would be great. I just want to be sure somehow that it isn't some cheap aftermarket add-on piece that nowhere equivalent to having 9w3 or 9w7 installed.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be great. I just want to be sure somehow that it isn't some cheap aftermarket add-on piece that nowhere equivalent to having 9w3 or 9w7 installed.
I guess I have more confidence than you that VW is going to handle this correctly.

I just mailed my form. Since I still have my original 9W2 module, I'll be looking forward to receiving the 9W7 rather than getting cash back.

So this is an interesting scenario that doesn't apply to me: I wonder what would happen if someone with 9W2 paid (a year or so ago) to upgrade to 9W3, and is now bummed that he doesn't have 9W7. How would he get handled in this legal situation?

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
How can we get the same deal up North?

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Sounds like you'll need to start up your own class action suit, although I know nothing about the laws up North.

fierrpawz

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Got my Christiansen letter today from Rust Consulting.

Anyone confirm what the "Bluetooth Upgrade Kit" contains yet?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
No, but I'm sticking with my prediction that it will be the 9W7 module. It is my assumption that VW wants to manufacture and stock as few parts as possible. If 9W7 is the current module, then that's what I'd expect VW to provide. No point in producing and inventorying any more variants than necessary.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I haven't heard anything yet. I had tried to call someone at Rust Consulting to get a response, but nothing yet.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I got word from someone at Rust Consulting today that the "Bluetooth Upgrade Kit" from VW will be either the 9w3 or the 9w7 module.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
9w3 is not a good upgrade from 9w2, you will loose music streaming and have to record voice tags before you can use voice dialing, 9w7 is good, it has audio streaming in stereo and no need to record names before using voice dialing.

What was the reason for the lawsuit? I can't figure out that from above posts...

My 9w3 in 2010 jetta never had the phone book functionality enabled, I enabled it myself using VCDS but then I replaced it with 9w7 later on.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Good to know. I don't care much about the music streaming, but I do want to be able to hands-free make a call. And that is much of the basic issue with the lawsuit. Much of the literature for the involved vehicles made many (me included) believe that the 9w2 was completely handsfree, which of course is just not true. So the suit had to do with deceptive advertising I guess.

digitalextremes

TDI
2k10 Jetta Sedan
I have no experience with 9w2

With 9w3 you can do hand free calling using voice or by selecting name/number from the car once you enable phonebook access using VCDS, for voice dialing you need to record the names in the car fist that you want to call, PITA because of which I took it out instead of having to record 100+ names.

9w7 works out of the box as soon as you pair the phone with the car, no need to record the names, all names in your phone's phone book can be dialed at work or mobile using voice or by selecting them from the cluster or RNS screen