HID Kits in our Headlights?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Has anybody installed an HID kit into our existing headlights?

Reason I'm asking is a friend can get me a kit really cheap and suggested I ask here if they would work on our headlights. I know this isn't the ideal way to do it, but...

Last edited:

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
Best mod I ever did! Some will say the glare from them will blind oncoming traffic but I have never had anybody ever flash me in over a year.

How much can they get them for? LMK

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoa, this is not a groupbuy! This is a friend with a connection offering to get me a set, not a shop offering a great discount for a groupbuy ;) I can inquire about getting some more, but I won't push it!

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Find out the specs on the HID kit (for yourself). My opinion would be the 4200k or 6000k as they are the closest to white light. Any higher, you start to go blue.

Extremefeats

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Golf
LMAO. Did ya veer think to ask the guy ? LMFAO! A group buy would bring some serious business. I can help ya with the install. Just did my own with a buddy recently. It's pretty straight forward stuff ;) Plug and play, even with angel eyes...

Go with Diamond white - 6000K!

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Calm down guys.... Let me find out first what type of connection this is :) If it's personal favours, then asking him to ask for friends of friends of friends is a little difficult. If it's a guy he knows who sources and sells them on the side, so making it business, then I will of course ask for my fellow TDIers. :) Either way, I'll ask how many sets I could get....

So in other words, I'm assuming this could work with my existing headlights ;)

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
If it is a standard set up than you will lose your high beams. There are kits that have a shutter that switches between high and low. Personally I don't miss my high beams.

Yes. ;)

I have the 6000k lights and like it. I would be looking for a set for the wifes A4. It uses H1's. *hint* *hint* ;)

Last edited:

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
stay closer to 4300K if u can, anything higher / whiter and u lose your ability to contrast during inclement weather adn get less usable lighting...

do some research b4 u decide, personally, i'm staying under 4500k...

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
TheTDIWagonGuy said:
Best mod I ever did! Some will say the glare from them will blind oncoming traffic but I have never had anybody ever flash me in over a year.

How much can they get them for? LMK

You did an HID kit??? I need to check this out. :D

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
also, your HID capsules ( aka bulbs ) will color shift higher once used, so your 6000k ( new bulb ) is actually emitting light higher than the 6000K ( or whatever u had bought ) at initial install. something to think about.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The closer the kit matches the geometry of the stock H1/7 bulbs the better the beam pattern will be. It'll never be ideal but kits seem to produce beam patterns that aren't that bad and they throw a lot more light.

I light the beam pattern on the stock headlights of my MkV, but will probably get the Hella projectors and then upgrade to HIDs with manual leveling control if possible.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
HID kits for NON HID housing have gotten better, but are nowhere near ideal. most people are happy with the extra lighting..untill they see a proper HID beam cut off, with no dazzle or hot spots.

but for $80, worth the experiment i'd think.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I run a H4 drop-in kit in my E-codes. Haven't been flashed yet, although the Ecode beam pattern is a lot better then the standard NA pattern.

ProPAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bora TDI GLS Black/Black & 2003 Golf TDI GLS Silver/Black
Any one installed HID into the H3 fog light projector? Im thinking going that route instead of the my main Ecode lowbeam. That would ensure no glare for the rest of the world since the cut off is very apparent on the fogs. The added light would be a bonus since I already run on those in the city with enough lighting. Plus I don't want to loose high beams.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My friend hasn't gotten back to me, and I was away for a few weeks on vacation so not reallly following up. He's known to disappear though when the weather is nice (motorcycle addict) so I'll ask him when the weather turns bad ;)

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
i would love to see a HIDF kit for the jetta with the e code headlights. I find im running the fogs on dark roads in addition to the headlights just for a bit of extra light. Lots of deer and whatnot around where i live on the backroads.

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
VDubbing said:
...I find im running the fogs on dark roads in addition to the headlights just for a bit of extra light. Lots of deer and whatnot around where i live on the backroads.
at speeds, this is a big mistake as it actually allows u to see LESS.

lots of light up close to the car ( foglights do this ) will ruin your longer distance focus as your eyes cope with it.

the mk4 ecodes ( hella ) on high beams, actually had less lighting 2-3 meters directly infront of the car...allowing a better longer distance focus

do your self a favor, use your fogs in the fog :rolleyes: ..my $0.02