Liftpump consensus?

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Best solution is to go with the in-tank lift pump?

I have the 8psi Walbro external pump but after using it I am not too impressed with it's performance.... maybe I got a dud I dunno but am deciding whether to go with another (noisy) external or the in-tank setup and be done with it?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
everyone has said intank pd lift has made a big difference to the performance going to the redline especially on highly modded motors where as all ive heard is barely medioka reports of how external pump seem to benefit . i did allot of searching new and old a little while back and that was the general feeling. that in tank pd lift pumps are the way to go

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Wonder if the pump off a gas powered jetta would work? Course it would be higher pressure, but that may help even more.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Well some have had decent results with gasser intank pump unregulated. And if youre scared you can always put a regulator inline.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
In the threads I've read, it seems an external, aftermarket, low-pressure pump is the way to go. I'll try to find the threads. I also got the impression that the PD lift pumps are fairly unreliable and fail pretty often. It'd be better to have a pass-through pump that just supplements the rotary pump instead of one that the main pump has to rely on to get fuel, hoping it doesn't fail. Granted, I know there's been a fix to be sure your main pump will still pull fuel even if the pump fails, but I'd rather spend less and have a more reliable, industrial style pump.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Scott's done some numbers in regards to the external lift pumps.
Despite Jack's lengthy thread, the proof seems to be in the digits.

Stealth TDI:
pd lift pump installed on my a3
external lift pumps what are they doing anyway? (two even!)

I've been sitting on a pd lift pump for the same reason about their reliability. Guess I can mod it so if it dies, it dies open. I also have yet to get anyone to confirm it will fit in place of my sending unit (b4's diff from the A3)

03PlatinumTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Free after 14 years
I trust Scott's advice and just installed a PD Lift pump this past weekend. It is modded to allow me to continue to drive the car if it dies. It is by far one of the best mods I've done. The power in the upper RPMs is phenomenal. I can't believe that I waited this long.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
Been running my PD LP for 1 1/2 years; no issues, just clean crisp starts, instant fuel filter refill. I have the LCR mod if it fails. I can hear the pump run a sec. before it fires over(reassuring) . It's one of my best mods to date.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Oh, I don't doubt it will work properly for the early part of it's life. I think the concern is the 100k+ miles and a lot of them start to go out. I wonder if there's any way to prevent that though.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
i have a 2 bars in tank pump right now no fuel regulator works very good,better then with my ex 1 bars external pump ,also another + is that my ve pump makes the requested advance at last !

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
The Aeromotive in/out of tank pumps are probably better than the Walbro or the PD one....the only downside would be added noise and running much larger fuel lines. I might be considering this upgrade from the PD one soon especially since the PD one can have a shorter lifespan..

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Kewl, I ordered a PD in-tank pump for my ALH. Going to run a fuel cooler and am hoping the quality has improved with the newer production pumps. (ordered through boraparts)

RomSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Porsche Cayenne
im570rm said:
i have a 2 bars in tank pump right now no fuel regulator works very good,better then with my ex 1 bars external pump ,also another + is that my ve pump makes the requested advance at last !
What's your requested SOI? Just trying to figure out when VE starts struggling meeting requested SOI. At the moment mine does 17.4 degrees with no problems.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
if you run clean fuel, and don't run your tank to empty, I think the PD lift pump will be okay.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In-tank lift pumps have proven pretty reliable. It seems some early PDs had difficulty but that seems to be behind us. I've got about 130K miles on the one in IBW, no problems.

To my knowledge no one has done a direct before and after dyno on a pump install, so objective data seems difficult to come by. I can say my car starts faster, runs smoother, and is nearly impossible to stall. Filter changes are easier, too, no prefilling.