MFD mileage displays

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
There are two computer average mileage displays. The number 1 appears to be an average for the car from new and the number 2 is kind of a daily or trip average. I have no control over either. My question is: Is there any way to get a tank mileage average other than by doing the math?

On my first fuel purchase, I reset the trip odometer and sort of expected the number 1 average to reset but it doesn't.

So far my overall average is at 39 mpg so no complaints on that front. I now have about 500 miles on the car and still loving it. This is my best car so far. I hope it treats my wallet as nice as the driving experience and fuel mileage does.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You can reset it with the steering wheel controls. Press OK and hold until it resets. Do this when you fuel up and you have a tank average. Check it against a P/P calculation.... RRTFM.

Bill

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
40X40 said:
You can reset it with the steering wheel controls. Press OK and hold until it resets. Do this when you fuel up and you have a tank average. Check it against a P/P calculation.... RRTFM.

Bill
Cool! Thanks. It is really hard to extract that kind of information out of the manual which is, IMHO, poorly written.

So if I do this reset, I will lose overall car average correct? If so, too bad I can't have both.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The first set "1" will reset after about two hours. The second set will reset when it maxes out. (Check the manual for what "max" is, I don't remember offhand.)
Because of that limitation you will never be able to have a "lifetime" average.

Jeeprage

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6m
GetMore said:
The first set "1" will reset after about two hours. The second set will reset when it maxes out. (Check the manual for what "max" is, I don't remember offhand.)
Because of that limitation you will never be able to have a "lifetime" average.
Exactly. Which is why I created a Fuelly account. 1st time I've ever wanted to track MPG. My Grand Cherokee is about 11. Too low to want to make an account for it.

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
the tip for holding the ok button while on the display is what I needed. This trick works for the short term MPG average. So I have exactly what I really wanted anyway, a means to hold a tank average.

The manual has this information and it is now obvious to me upon re-read. There is something about the way the manual is written that seems to either distract me or obfuscate the important details.