APR Tuning now offering a tune for 2.0 CR TDIs!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Note that the car made 153 HP stock on the same dyno, almost 10% more than the rated crank HP and significantly greater than WHP should be, almost 20% compared to my stock Golf dyno. Looked at another way, they're getting a 12-15 HP gain. And the torque curve looks pretty ragged, like they're having trouble regulating boost and fueling. Looks like sensors are taking over and dialing things back.

Compare this to a stock dyno of my Golf on a "heartbreak" Dyno Dynamics dyno.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I'm guessing your dyno graph has smoothing turned on so it evens out the peaks and valleys. APR is a legit company and I trust that they wouldn't release this software if it didn't live up to their name.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's good that APR has finally released their tune for our cars. APR and Revo are the only two companies (that I know of) that give you the option of switching back and forth between stock and tuned maps. However, APR's method of switching does not require you to purchase a separate OBDII switching device (usually at extra cost). This is a good thing.

That said: the actual numbers and graphs do not look significantly different from the numbers and graphs in CR140s with other tuner's stage one tunes. Malone, Rocketchip, Revo, Neuspeed, etc. all post numbers and graphs that are very similar. The differences in power and torque are so much alike that the differences could easily be attributed to simply different dynos.

As I have stated before, often the choice of tuner has more to do with who has a dealer conveniently near you. Most people need their cars everyday, so they can't afford to ship off their ECU to the tuner and be car-less until it is shipped back. I am very glad APR has finally released this just because it greatly increases the number of dealers in the US that can tune our cars. Now, many more cities will have a convenient tuner.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Click on the link above (quoted from first post, you can scroll up and click there if you like) and read the ad carefully.

They quote VW at 140 HP but measure the stock HP on their own dyno at 153. They then measure the tuned HP at 170, a gain of 17 HP.

BUT THEY ADVERTISE A GAIN OF 27 HP, not 17.

They compare VWs (stock) rating to their measured (tuned) figure, when they should compare their (stock) measured to their (tuned) measured.

It is all there in black and white, they are not lying.... but they lead you to JUMP TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION.

This is not lying... it is deceptive advertising and I'll get flamed for pointing out the obvious.

Bill

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
complete edit:

double checked mine, from vid, put down 158whp/268wtq(on DynoDynamics(which i think its more of a heart breaker)) on second run. only got little more on third of 160/270.
so the wheel hp/tq APR posted on their dyno graph is pretty damn good for a stage 1 tune with dpf/egr still in place. if they are making 158whp/285wtq thats pretty good for having it all still stock.

yes kinda messy with saying VW stock HP and then their stock HP gains but thats advertising to its max. sounds like i need a new stage 2 tune, or i need to get a tubro kit lol.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
***!!! how does apr tune a engine to act so much different then other CR dyno sheets i seen of the same engines.. i dont understand whats with the lagg and all how they have such horrible control of the tune...

The dyno on my car was done at 5700 ft above sea lvl so i am not getting the advantage of some people that are at sea lvl on power.. but i think malones tunes are supurb.. I cant find my other dyno sheets but here is one of my car with stage 2 malone tune with STOCK EXHUAST!!!! 164.7whp/321.1wtq and i never hit EGT limit on all 3 runs that day.
Video: stage 2 dyno stock exhuast
Stock Dyno
131whp/220wtq
Malone Stage 2 w/aggresive fueling and raised EGT limit to 1650
164.7whp/321.1wtq +33.7whp, +101.1wtq
Malone Stage 2 * w/straight pipe exhuast
181whp/347wtq +50whp, +127wtq

I am going to look for my other dyno sheets so you can see my comparison but my car put down completely stock before malone tuning 131whp and 220wtq on the exact same dyno within a week before the malone tuning, then after i put straight pipe exhuast on the car and cleaned the turbine vanes out because it was caked up from when it was STOCK i put down 181whp and 347wtq

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
APR is 5 minutes from my house. EXCELLENT place and employees ! ! !

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Storx, you put down 164hp/321tq with the stage 2+ tune with stock exhaust?
and then with the stage 2+ tune put down 181hp/347tq with full exhaust?

damn dude, is that just more of the aggressive file doing that?
because i have regular stage 2 tune with full exhaust(not stock) and put down 168hp/268tq lol, so either i need a better file (stage2+) or a better dyno haha or a turbo kit...

20ae3600

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
.....BUT THEY ADVERTISE A GAIN OF 27 HP, not 17.
They compare VWs (stock) rating to their measured (tuned) figure, when they should compare their (stock) measured to their (tuned) measured.
It is all there in black and white, they are not lying.... but they lead you to JUMP TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION.
This is not lying... it is deceptive advertising and I'll get flamed for pointing out the obvious.
Bill
Before getting too excited, go back and take a look at the dyno graphs. They do not claim a max increase of 27hp. They have a 27 hp gain over stock at 2950rpm. Straight from their site ".... higher peak numbers of 170 HP and 297 FT-LB of torque with gains of up to 27 horsepower by 2950 RPM and 50 FT-LB of torque by 2700 RPM!"

They actually look to have about a 25 hp increase from about 2700rpm to about 3200rpm.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Storx, you put down 164hp/321tq with the stage 2+ tune with stock exhaust?
and then with the stage 2+ tune put down 181hp/347tq with full exhaust?

damn dude, is that just more of the aggressive file doing that?
because i have regular stage 2 tune with full exhaust(not stock) and put down 168hp/268tq lol, so either i need a better file (stage2+) or a better dyno haha or a turbo kit...

My fueling is so aggressive it has a haze of fuel at idle right now... So I'm running a custom stage 2 also I am running EGT near the max sustainable temps of the turbo... Playing guinni pig

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Storx your posts in this thread have ZERO relevance to the topic. This thread is about the APR tune. Not your car or malone tuning. APR does not and will not offer any tune beyond stage 1. So your dyno plots and video have no use here.

Last edited:

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
i think he is just posting a comparison to what he has and what APR has. Just how i posted what my dyno number were next to APR's i guess. the vid i will agree shows no relevance, but the numbers and first part of his post does.

yea I know your playing guinni pig with what you got going on, kinda hope you get it all figured out and then i can see what i will need lol. Just wanted to see how much TQ you got with that stage2+ tune is nuts!!

Charrigan, i doubt they will do a stage 2 tune or dpf/egr delete tune, but possible they will in the end, slim, but possible. From the couple PM's I've had from them on vortex and talking to a couple of them at Sowo seemed they were pretty excited about the tune and looking into making more stuff. Although its prob all hype, and it won't happen.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
A dyno can be calibrated to read anything... storx's results are inflated.

I find this tune interesting, they specifically held back the torque to prevent the need of a DSG tune.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Click on the link above (quoted from first post, you can scroll up and click there if you like) and read the ad carefully.

They quote VW at 140 HP but measure the stock HP on their own dyno at 153. They then measure the tuned HP at 170, a gain of 17 HP.

BUT THEY ADVERTISE A GAIN OF 27 HP, not 17.

Bill
Perhaps they are saying you will get 170HP out of this tune, regardless of what the starting point is of your stock HP? The tune is dynamic enough to get these numbers regardless of where you start? :confused:

Last edited:

turbofan

TDI
'14 JSW
A dyno can be calibrated to read anything... storx's results are inflated.

I find this tune interesting, they specifically held back the torque to prevent the need of a DSG tune.
Is it really fair to say storxs' numbers are inflated when he is showing HP/torque differences, not just peak power? He says his car put down 221 wtq stock and a week later over 320. That's 100+ lb ft difference.

turbofan

TDI
'14 JSW
Perhaps they are saying you will get 170HP out of this tune, regardless of what the starting point is of your stock HP? The tune is dynamic ehough to these numbers regardless of where you start? :confused:
Joking, right? Sorry, new around here and I don't know your personality.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Is it really fair to say storxs' numbers are inflated when he is showing HP/torque differences, not just peak power? He says his car put down 221 wtq stock and a week later over 320. That's 100+ lb ft difference.
Doesnt matter if his numbers are inflated or not...The entire purpose of dyno's are to compare gains, not post a number. If your on a heart breaker, and you gain 50whp...you gained 50whp.

But what isnt relievant is the fact we are comparing a Tune that requires you to remove the emmissions systems to a tune that does not require this. As well I find it irrelievant to compare S1 tune that requires DSG tuning vs one that does not....

APR CR140 Tune- 17whp/46wtrq peak gains are claimed with 27whp/50wtrq largest over stock gains under 3k. Does not require DSG tuning to achieve its numbers

Malone CR140 S1 Tune-20whp/62wtrq peak gains are the claimed. Requires DSG Tuning to achieve those numbers (so another $500)

Its easy for me to see which makes the most logical sense...and carry's a better name in the tuning industry for tunes that are smooth as factory.

Last edited:

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Your forgot Revo who has had their tune out for a while now.

+45 bhp gain +53 lbft torque gain but you need a SPS device to switch back to stock.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
yea, like i said, its pretty good power from APR for a stage 1 tune still having the stock exhaust system in place as well as if you have a dsg thats good too since its limited and you don't need another tune. Seems that some one on here needs to get it and dyno it!

Only thing i would worry about if i had a stock exhaust still and the APR tune, how the soot levels are after 20-40K miles. Id see some build up might happen, but thats just me.

It just boils down to people and what they want, there are some good options out there now for what anyone wants, Revo,APR, Malone, Unitronic.... lots of options just do what you think is best.
IMO in Storx case, he has some serious aggressive tune, but he is doing stuff like others on here to benefit us in the long run.which I think is great.