MK4 Jetta ALH Turbo Back exhaust system

kitko100

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
I am replacing the stock exhaust on my 2001 jetta tdi. Im thinking of getting the Complete 2.5" or 3'' Stainless Turbo Back exhaust system by kermatdi. Im on the fence about 2.5'' vs. 3'' I want to delete the cat use a muffler and possibly a resonator. Is there anyone that has a 3'' turbo back that can give me an idea about how well it works and the noise level?

kitko100

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
so you have the 3'' system with no cat no muffler? how loud is it while driving down the highway? doesn't get annoying at all?

Ganoid

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5sp
I have the 3" turbo back. Just running around town if you keep it under 3k its fairly quiet. On the free way with the cruise set its also fairly stock'ish. If you put your foot in it though be ready to hear it roar. I think the positioning of the tail pipe has a big impact on the sound level in the car. I did have some fitment issues but was able to get them resolved on my own. The kit looks very nice and the clamps are great. The clamps do need to be very tight and it took our truck mechanic at work to point this out to me as they are the same style clamps used on our KW's. Be sure to check the down pipe flange against the gasket to be sure its aligned properly as I had to clearance mine a bit (port match).

kitko100

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
thanks guys, is there anything better or similar to the kerma turbo back kits. I cant seem to find much on the good ol interweb for a ALH jetta.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Compare all your options: ID parts, Kerma, BuzzKen and there are others.
I have a custom downpipe with a 2.5" BuzzKen cat-back.
The quality and fit is great and his service was great also.
I recommend at least 2 resonators. I asked for 1 and now I'll probably add another.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I have the 3" turbo back. Just running around town if you keep it under 3k its fairly quiet. On the free way with the cruise set its also fairly stock'ish. If you put your foot in it though be ready to hear it roar. I think the positioning of the tail pipe has a big impact on the sound level in the car. I did have some fitment issues but was able to get them resolved on my own. The kit looks very nice and the clamps are great. The clamps do need to be very tight and it took our truck mechanic at work to point this out to me as they are the same style clamps used on our KW's. Be sure to check the down pipe flange against the gasket to be sure its aligned properly as I had to clearance mine a bit (port match).
Agreed. Yes mine is fully straight piped. The whistle sounds good, but you cant hear the whistle too much after 1st gear, unless youre creeping along, or in between shifts, it whistles. I like the way it sounds a lot. Like my sig says, I have 3" turbo back, 4" pipe after the rear axle, and a 5" tip

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Agreed. Yes mine is fully straight piped. The whistle sounds good, but you cant hear the whistle too much after 1st gear, unless youre creeping along, or in between shifts, it whistles. I like the way it sounds a lot. Like my sig says, I have 3" turbo back, 4" pipe after the rear axle, and a 5" tip
Just out of curiosity, did the 4" tailpipe make a difference? Or did you just upgrade to it because there are more options for the 4" when it comes to the exhaust tip selection?

kenzie2029

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS
Got my 2.5" turbo back straight pipe from buzzken too. Love it! Only wish I would have done 3" instead. I drive 100 miles a day for work and it's nice and quiet when cruising, but awesomely loud when you want it to be when you get on it.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Just out of curiosity, did the 4" tailpipe make a difference? Or did you just upgrade to it because there are more options for the 4" when it comes to the exhaust tip selection?
Mainly for sound, and the tip. I cut the tip off a truck at work that was being scraped, and my buddy had a 4" tailpipe/over axle piece of exhaust off his powerstroke lying around, so I decided what the hell. Sound wise, the 4" and the tip definitely made a difference

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
I see :) figured the tips for trucks look much better on a diesel car hehe.

I will keep that in mind man, thank you for your answer.

Freeekonaleesh2

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Any documentation on HP or TQ gains? Also have yall seen any MPG gains with your systems?
I drive over 400 miles a week. Any help in the MPG is good. Currently getting 40-42 MPG @ 70MPH.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I've been looking around for exhausts as well, I'm going to subscribe for recommendations instead of starting an identical thread :)

Do you guys think it'd be a good idea for me to start a thread with people's exhaust sound/video clips as a resource for everyone to hear the different tones and whistles and a list of exhaust parts/sepcs in it? I realize there's thousands on youtube, but I'd like to hear the member's feedback.

DMViergever

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I am suscribing too. I gotta bit of turbo lag with my stock system with the cat and muffler in place and have really been considering a turbo back straight.

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
go with the 2.5 inch, 3 inch isnt necessary. you will notice drone in the cabin but realy only above 100kph but its not near as bad as a honda with a fart can. i dont realy see the logic in these expensive exhaust systems. volkswagen exhausts dont rust to begin with, take it to a exhaust shop and theyll weld you up some straight pipe for like 150 bucks max and your good to go!.

Golf GLS TDI

TDI
2000 Golf GLS Tdi
My 3" straight pipe exits just behind rear drivers tire out to the side and it is loud. The noise gets old when driving the interstate but quite a few people say the car sounds awesome. You do hear the turbo whistle at idle and low cruising speed like the guy a few posts back said. I like it but thinking of adding a resonator.

Psymos

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Honestly, my 3" straight pipe doesn't really drone at highway speeds 60mph+ below that it does a little. Nothing unbearable(IMO). Throwing a straight pipe on a TDI isn't like throwing a straight pipe on a gas car.

When I first put it on I was afraid of how much my wife would hate it, but she honestly doesn't mind it at all. Passed the wife test!! :D

Then again she is probably used to my STi with an almost straight pipe on it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durdy1

TDI
01 red jetta
I was starting to look at the 2.5 turbo back system. I have just the mufflerectomy now. If I go with just a high flow cat, will I have close to the same sound inside and out that I have now? And buzzken can you shoot me a price on this also. Thanks

durdy1

TDI
01 red jetta
thank you for the very quick reply on Thanksgiving Day. I just want the interior sound quiet. I like the turbo sound out that i have now. Also what grade stainless is the pipe. Thanks agian.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
thank you for the very quick reply on Thanksgiving Day. I just want the interior sound quiet. I like the turbo sound out that i have now. Also what grade stainless is the pipe. Thanks agian.
16 gauge 409 stainless from a mill in North America. It won't be silent, but will be toned down nicely.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Get 2 resonators if in doubt.

BK, do you offer an extended tailpipe to get the opening past the bumper?