Wanted: good TDI mechanic Chicago/Chicago Area

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
I am desperately looking for a good TDI mechanic in the Chicago area and hoping for suggestions, I am hoping other Chicago-area TDI Club members may have some good references and can appreciate my plight. I live in NW Chicago and work in Deerfield. My current mechanic is not up much on diesels and is over his head with my wife's '97 Passat; he was tinkering with the injection pump, ended up with the timing belt off, and to make a long story short, now can't find the timing marks on the flywheel and is having trouble getting everything properly set up and back together. I need someone dependable who can check & properly set crank, cam and pump timing & also for any further TDI-specific repairs in the future. Her car may need to be towed someplace as if our current mechanic isn't certain he can get everything lined up properly, it shouldn't be started. Any names and comments greatly, greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Tom Rae tfrae@sbcglobal.net
Cell (773)509-1891 Home (773) 509-1891

drafaj79

TDI
None yet!
I'd like to find one too. I was taking my car to a guy up in Libertyville but all I got was a $2200 bill and more problems.

I'm in the process of calling around to all the dealers within a 50 mile radius to find one with a qualified TDI mechanic. I'll let you know what I find.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Miss DBW do ya??
Thanks Tom

I'd be willing to take a leave of absence to do an apprenticeship under him just so I can fix my own damn cars. There's gotta be someone with the magic skills tucked away somewhere in our fair city.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Well, I can do A3/B4 timing belts, water pumps, and some other stuff. I don't have a lap-top or Vag-Com. My location is about 100 miles SW of Chicago so I'm not exactly close, but I'm not too far away either.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI