'04 Jetta TDI auto trans slipping

Knuckledragger

TDI
2003 Jetta
Apologies if this has been covered before. Didn't find any threads when searching tho.
Friend brings over an '04 (BEW) TDI with an auto transmission. Says he just sunk $4k into it to have a tranny shop (out of state) rebuild it for him. The danged thing is slipping in every gear whenever a load is put on it. Sometimes so bad that it will jump up and down when shifting because the engine over-revs due to slipping.
I'm not familiar with these transmissions, though I've worked on BEW engines a few times. Tranny shop insists that it isn't the transmission or their work that is the problem. I'm doubtful.
I took it out on an empty road and romped on the pedal. The Tach was hitting 3000-4000 on shifts, and one time redlined with no acceleration (i.e. slipping to beat the band).
It this thing a "tip-tronic"? Mechtronic perhaps? Is there an external clutch that needs replacement or adjustment?
VIN: 3VWSR69M94M140703
Thanks!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
No mechatronic in this one...Typical torque converter tranny.

Can you check the fluid level?
The VW specs put the fluid change quantity at about 2.75 qrts, (or liters...don't remember).
It has been found that about 3.25-3.5 works better.

I wonder if the shift cable was adjusted properly. Could it be bordering on NEUTRAL when it is placed in DRIVE?

What happens when you drive it in tiptronic mode and select the gears yourself?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
definitely check the fluid level. Post above could be misleading as how much fluid is required for trans fill is alot more than the amount of fluid required for filling when empty such as after rebuild.

JETaah

TDI
definitely check the fluid level. Post above could be misleading as how much fluid is required for trans fill is alot more than the amount of fluid required for filling when empty such as after rebuild.
My bad...thanks for clearing that up. My reference was for pulling the plug and stand pipe and drain... then fill quantity.

Is it fair to say that once you fill the trans (whatever it takes) per the VW/Bentley spec of bringing the fluid up to temperature of 35-45*C and getting over flow from the inspection port, plug the port and add an additional 1/2 quart?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
My bad...thanks for clearing that up. My reference was for pulling the plug and stand pipe and drain... then fill quantity.

Is it fair to say that once you fill the trans (whatever it takes) per the VW/Bentley spec of bringing the fluid up to temperature of 35-45*C and getting over flow from the inspection port, plug the port and add an additional 1/2 quart?
Where did you come up with add an additional 1/2 quart?

JETaah

TDI
Where did you come up with add an additional 1/2 quart?
To tell you the truth, I read it on these here forums. Now, I can't seem to find any threads regarding this other than one second hand example that is recent...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5306875
and on Vortex
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3748902-DIY-Drain-Refill-on-09A-Tiptronic-Transmission

Purely word of mouth, I know. I've been doing it for a few years this way.
I don't know the science behind it but, it seems to not have done any harm in doing so. Some said it made a positive difference in the operation of the trans.

Being that you would have a more intimate knowledge of the 09A trans, can you think of how it may adversely affect things? other than to waste fluid?