The Bluetooth debate comes to an end! Hello 9W7!

askaVWsalesGuy

Deactivated Account
TDI
2010 Golf 2.0 TDI
VW has just updated the order guides with a new option: 9W7 Voice‐controlled Bluetooth w/ audio streaming and phonebook download.

More at 11

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
askaVWsalesGuy said:
VW has just updated the order guides with a new option: 9W7 Voice‐controlled Bluetooth w/ audio streaming and phonebook download.

More at 11
Thanks for the update. It's about time :)

Is it an extra cost item?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
people who shelled out for the 9W3 could have had best of both worlds if they waited for this, but oh well.

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
People who shelled out for Vista must feel silly now that they could have had Windows 7! Whatever, tech toys are outdated a month after you buy them (if you're lucky). I didn't really care about A2DP anyways, so that's why I got 9W3. We still don't have any pricing or info (compatibility, ease of install, etc) about the 9W3, and it'll probably be a while before it's available and at a reasonable price.

740GLE said:
people who shelled out for the 9W3 could have had best of both worlds if they waited for this, but oh well.

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Hoping the 9W7 is as easy as a swap as 9W3 is and of course that it is compatible. If not I'd still be happy upgrading to the 9W3. I prefer the voice/touchscreen enhanced BT over A2DP, but both would be a nice luxury.

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
740GLE said:
I shelled out for the 9W3 module and have no regrets as I've had use of it for almost six months now. We don't know for sure yet if 9W7 will be backwards compatible given other changes such as the RNS-315 navigation downgrade. Does the RNS-315 use the same connector as the RNS-510? Is the 9W7 module connector the same? Hopefully but uncertain. The 2011 models are not due until August I believe and then how long after that before the 9W7 module is available as a service part? I might consider upgrading once that happens but by then I will have almost a year's worth use out of the 9W3 module.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I'm hoping for 9W7 if it's compatible-my car has 9W2, which is all but useless-I'd like to be able to make calls if I need to w/o fumbling with my phone. I really miss Sync like my Ford had.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Thunderstruck said:
Not available yet, but the local dealer said it looked like it was going to be $625.
For a BT solution? VW is insane!! :eek:

I thought the 9W3 upgrade I did for $450 was stretching it a bit but $625 is crazy considering in many states and Canada it is the law.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm very happy to see that they are finally going to have a "complete" solution. I was (along with everyone else) very disappointed to find that I did not have the Phone functions in my car, and was going to upgrade to the 9W3, but have found streaming audio to be very nice. I get more use out of the 9W2 than I would from the 9W3.
Of course I'd much rather see the cost around $200 for the upgrade, but maybe with time it will happen.

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
GetMore said:
I'm very happy to see that they are finally going to have a "complete" solution. I was (along with everyone else) very disappointed to find that I did not have the Phone functions in my car, and was going to upgrade to the 9W3, but have found streaming audio to be very nice. I get more use out of the 9W2 than I would from the 9W3.
Of course I'd much rather see the cost around $200 for the upgrade, but maybe with time it will happen.
VWoA called me today to followup on my recent purchase of my 2010 JSW TDI as part of their customer satisfaction survey. When they asked me if there was anything else that they can help me with, I mentioned how I was unsatisfied with the BT not working as the manual states it should. He said that it's been well documented due to a large number of the same complaint. No hesitation, he knew exactly what I was talking about. I asked him if there would be any solution soon. He said not at this time, but he would log my complaint in also.

It's questionable if in the future they will replace the BT modules on our cars, but there is the thought that if they choose to swap out the 9w2 on my own, I might be out hundreds of dollars for something that they might end up resolving to appease the many irate customers.

In reality, I'm not all that bothered by the lack of voice command, since my Blackberry has a very good voice command for dialing any number in its phonebook anyhow (it recognizes your speech, rather than needing for you to record your voice for each voice dial). I do miss caller ID however.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
9W7 module

Here are some pictures of the MFD+ and RNS-510 with my 9W7 which replaced the 9W2 in my 2010 Jetta 2.5L SE gasser. Click on any image to link to a larger image and an album of 19 pictures.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
So other than the MFD menu changes and the A2DP capability, it doesn't seem too different from the 9W3 in my car. It is nice that you can initiate voice tags and such right from the MFD, but you can do the same from the voice commands on the 9W3.

Tweak3D

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Mr. Timewise said:
Here are some pictures of the MFD+ and RNS-510 with my 9W7 which replaced the 9W2 in my 2010 Jetta SE. Click on any image to link to a larger image and an album of 19 pictures.

Do you by chance know if the coding is the same as the 9w3?

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
The fact that this works in a Jetta 2010 mean we can retro fit no issues. I think I might throw a fit at the dealership and muscle their asses into upgrading my part. At least get me the part and I will swap it out myself. Also Timewise get us some costs, appreciate the pictures but we need to know the damage on this thing.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Not as convenient, but I bought another cable for my Media interface, so if I'm hot for streaming, I unplug the iPod and plug in the MyTouch.

I couldn't wait 6 months to actually use my phone in the car. 9w3 is a Godsend.

P.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry...forgot to check back to follow-up

I paid approximately $480 including shipping for the 9W7. I got it from a VW dealer who gives VW employee prices to forum members. List price is $625, IIRC. I also bought a highline instrument cluster at the same time...that is what you see in the pictures I took. Note the 0 miles on the odometer! The new cluster was not yet adapted to the car (immobilizer/key thingy) when the pictures were taken.
EDIT 7/1/2010 I finally got around to going to the dealer and having them install the new "hi-Line" instrument cluster. Everything works just perfect. The phonebook, voice tags, direct dial via the MFSW of a random number, etc. all work as expected.
It is EXACTLY the same form and fit factor as the 9W2. Easiest install ever! Bluetooth antenna is built-in just as with the 9W2.

I felt like I was Scotty on the Enterprise: Snick! and the Velcro'd Styrofoam holder for the module is out from under the passenger seat. Then release the electrical connector and pop out 9W2 module from the Styrofoam (you need to be a bit careful so you don't break the Styrofoam). Then plug in the 9W7 (don't mix up the 9W2 and 9W7 - they really look identical) and fit it into the Styrofoam holder. Then lay the Styrofoam back onto the carpet and the Velcro holds it in place! And finally link your phone.

If the "microphone" button on a MFSW is coded to just mute the Radio you need to re-code it to add PTT (Push-To-Talk). The radio will still mute, but now the voice control becomes active.

The coding in the 9W7 was already correct, apparently, because none was needed. I did take delivery from a US VW dealer. The module was sent to them by VW expecting it was for a US car.

Here's the VCDS scan of the 9W7:
Address 77: Telephone (J412) Labels: None
Part No SW: 7P6 035 730 C HW: 7P6 035 730 C
Component: TELEFON H05 0440
Revision: 1B001001 Serial number: 00007667973972
Coding: 0A00000000010100
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: UHVNA A01007
ROD: N/A

No ASAM data for: "UHVNA" (VW36)
1 Fault Found:
13636352 - ROD - Unknown Error Code

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 41
Mileage: 7538 km
Date: 2008.14.12
Time: 18:50:43
The fault is because Ross-Tech's 10.3 beta software does not yet recognize the module. I assume the "UHVNA" means UHV North America.

The coding is a completely different format in the 9W2 that was replaced. Here's the 9W2 scan before it was removed from the car:
Address 77: Telephone (J738) Labels: None
Part No SW: 1K8 035 730 C HW: 1K8 035 730 C
Component: Telefon H08 6600
Revision: 00008000 Serial number: 20389520162475
Coding: 412100
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000

No fault code found.

Everything works fine, although I have not tried an iPhone or any streaming music source (rSAP or A2DP). But the voice control includes a "MUSIC" command to access a Bluetooth source...I'll borrow a source and give it a try.
Edit 6/10/2010: I have linked to a 6 month old iPhone and the phonebook transferred without a problem. Although the iPhone could store and play music, the owner of the iPhone had not yet done so. As a result, I still have not tried the A2DP link for streaming music.
Note that as of now, voice control for the RNS-510 navigation system does not function. The European RNS-510 software allows this, but the US software does not. We're all waiting for the next release of RNS-510 software (SW1100 ???) that might add this feature.

Last edited:

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Mr. Timewise,

Thanks for the update!

Is it one of the vendors on vortex? Can you post or PM his info?

I'm wondering if this model will keep the function of the buttons on the roof control panel? I doubt these are the same as the sedan, so I don't think you can answer that... just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Mr. Timewise said:
I paid approximately $480 including shipping for the 9W7. I got it from a VW dealer who gives VW employee prices to forum members. List price is $625, IIRC. I also bought a highline instrument cluster at the same time...that is what you see in the pictures I took. Note the 0 miles on the odometer! The new cluster was not yet adapted to the car (immobilizer/key thingy) when the pictures were taken.

It is EXACTLY the same form and fit factor as the 9W2. Easiest install ever! Bluetooth antenna is built-in just as with the 9W2.

I felt like I was Scotty on the Enterprise: Snick! and the Velcro'd Styrofoam holder for the module is out from under the passenger seat. Then release the electrical connector and pop out 9W2 module from the Styrofoam (you need to be a bit careful so you don't break the Styrofoam). Then plug in the 9W7 (don't mix up the 9W2 and 9W7 - they really are identical) and fit it into Styrofoam holder. Then lay the Styrofoam back onto the carpet and the Velcro holds it in place! And finally link your phone.

If the "microphone" button on a MFSW is coded to just mute the Radio you need to re-code it to add PTT (Push-To-Talk). The radio will still mute, but now the voice control becomes active.

The coding in the 9W7 was already correct, apparently, because none was needed. I did take delivery from a US VW dealer. The module was sent to them by VW expecting it was for a US car.

Here's the VCDS scan of the 9W7:
Address 77: Telephone (J412) Labels: None
Part No SW: 7P6 035 730 C HW: 7P6 035 730 C
Component: TELEFON H05 0440
Revision: 1B001001 Serial number: 00007667973792
Coding: 0A00000000010100
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: UHVNA A01007
ROD: N/A

No ASAM data for: "UHVNA" (VW36)
1 Fault Found:
13636352 - ROD - Unknown Error Code

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 41
Mileage: 7538 km
Date: 2008.14.12
Time: 18:50:43

The fault is because Ross-Tech's 10.3 beta software does not yet recognize the module. I assume the "UHVNA" means UHV North America.

The coding is a completely different format in the 9W2 that was replaced. Here's the 9W2 scan before it was removed from the car:
Address 77: Telephone (J738) Labels: None
Part No SW: 1K8 035 730 C HW: 1K8 035 730 C
Component: Telefon H08 6600
Revision: 00008000 Serial number: 20389520162475
Coding: 412100
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000

No fault code found.

Everything works fine, although I have not tried an iPhone or any streaming music source (rSAP or A2DP). But the voice control includes a "MUSIC" command to access a Bluetooth source...I'll borrow a source and give it a try.

Note that as of now, voice control for the RNS-510 navigation system does not function. The European RNS-510 software allows this, but the US software does not. We're all waiting for the next release of RNS-510 software (SW1100 ???) that might add this feature.
Can I ask what car you retrofit the highline white pixel cluster into?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Mr. Timewise said:
Everything works fine, although I have not tried an iPhone or any streaming music source (rSAP or A2DP).
rSAP is a completely different beast and it is not implemented in ANY US available BT module. Reason is rSAP capable BT module is virtually a separate GSM cell phone that just borrows your cell phone identity. GSM technology is only used by AT&T and T-Mobile in US, so these rSAP BT modules are useless with Verizon and Sprint. On the other hand you get the ability to read text messages on MFA+, save phone battery and better reception as the module has external GSM antenna.

I am playing with rSAP modules.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Maloosheck, for keeping me in line with the whole rSAP thing.

------

I bought the 9W7 from Paul Barret at Keffer VW in Huntersville, NC.

------

The 2010 Jetta SE 2.5L sedan "gasser" comes with a full size white low-line MFD in the instrument cluster and without a multi-function steering wheel (MFSW). The low-line MFD initially looks like a hi-line MFD+ display, however without an MFSW installed the low-line MFD only shows:
  • Time of day
  • Gear selection
  • Outside temperature - temporarily changes to Range (distance remaining) when fuel is very low
  • Odometer
  • Trip odometer
  • Cruise Control set speed when active
There is no compass heading at all. The electronic compass module is not in the car trunk. Even if you install an RNS-510, which does have an electronic compass internally, the compass heading still does not show in the MFD (although a compass heading is shown in the RNS-510 itself).

To show the full selection of trip computer parameters in the MFD you must upgrade the Steering Wheel Control Module (SWCM) from the low-line version which comes with the car to a hi-line version, and install an MFSW or a wiper stalk which has the Trip/OK/Reset buttons. The SWCM resides below the steering column immediately behind the steering wheel under the plastic shroud there.

Here's the trip computer parameter list:

• Single and total trip odometers (This is in addition to the normal trip and overall odometers the MFD always shows)
  • Single and total average fuel consumption
  • Instantaneous fuel consumption
  • Single and total travel time
  • Range ("distance remaining")
  • Single and total average speed
  • Instantaneous speed
  • Speed Warning
Note that a compass heading is still not shown. And even though an MFSW (or a wiper stalk with trip computer buttons) and an RNS-510 is installed, a low-line MFD instrument cluster will still not show any of these parameters:
  • Navigation turn info
  • Compass (heading and pictogram)
  • Radio info
  • Phone info
  • MFD selection
  • Lights & Vision selection
  • Snow tire correction/speed warning
  • Units selection
  • Language selection
  • Service interval info
  • Convenience settings
  • Vehicle Status (door open image)
To get the items in RED, a hi-line MFD+ instrument cluster must be installed. And to get every choice in each of the RED items you need the hi-line ECU. With a low-line ECU some of the Lights & Vision selections are missing. (For example, the Leaving Home and Footwell light selection are missing when the low-line ECU is in the vehicle. (Edit 7/5/2010: I have a low-line ECU in my 2010 Jetta SE 2.5L with a Hi-Line MFD+ which I installed after purchasing the car. I do not miss any feature of interest to me.)

Note: The SEL version of the 2010 Jetta sedan was to have been outfitted with the hi-line MFD+ instrument cluster. But VW has never supplied a 2010 Jetta SEL sedan to the US market even though that trim package is discussed on the VW website and described in their printed Jetta brochures.

Last edited: