How Can I Tell What TB I Have? (2001 mk4)

xcmer

TDI
Jetta MK4
I'm out on a roadtrip and, on a whim, wondered if i need to replace my TB.
Turns out it's got at least 50k on it! Anyway, I'm not sure if I have the 60K belt or the 100k belt- I understand that the tensioners are different and the belt looks different, but I haven't been able to find out how to tell them apart.
(Any advice on work to have done while doing the TB appreciated- currently thinking water pump and thermostat?)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I would hope that on a 2001 the belt has been replaced at least a couple of times, just because of age. (5 years) As far as 60 or 100 thousand that probably depends on where it has been serviced, at a dealer (60k) , independently or by the owner (100k).

Replacing the water pump and all rollers and the tensioner is an absolute must. Check the cam and crank seals for weepage. Thermostat if your engine is running cool, if not then you're probably good.

It sounds like you don't know the history behind this car which would mean it's new(er) to you. If you don't know when the timing belt was changed or what type it was or how long ago I'd get it done immediately.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
How Can I Tell What TB I Have? (2001 mk4)
You have the type that needs to be changed.:)

(Any advice on work to have done while doing the TB appreciated- currently thinking water pump and thermostat?)
Water pump yes...you should buy a TB kit that comes with the water pump, tensioner, rollers, etc. Yes on the thermostat.

xcmer

TDI
Jetta MK4
Ah, thanks. My memory is hazy, but I think it was last replaced 3-4 years ago by a tdiclub recommend mech. (Aided my tdi enthusiast friend- it was mother's car at the time) right now I'm debating going to exklusive in AZ asap, or making the ~5k return trip to the mechanic I know. (Also, should I buy the kit if I'm going to a mechanic? I vaguely recall being told no shop would use parts you bought but I've found otherwise)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You're asking questions that really cannot be answered until "after the fact." Will the car go another 5k miles? Will the world end tomorrow? Who knows.

Ask the mechanic about whether it's OK to bring a TB kit. BUT, you'd need to specify where it's coming from. One shop near me said that they got their TB kits from Diesel Geek: Diesel Geek is where I'd gotten my kits from. Point being is that it's quite possible that a particular shop/mechanic is getting a TB kit from a reputable place.

Replacing the WP isn't a requirement, but it's a good idea. I say this because I've got a car that a dealer did a TB job on and didn't do the WP (yeah, dealers...); knock on wood, it's still working after an additional 65k miles. Although it's a low probability, new WPs have been known to fail prematurely. It's kind of a "devil you know" kind of deal on WPs. All said, however, I will always look to replace the WP with the TB.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Replacing the water pump IS a requirement. I have to say at least 8 of 10 are leaking by the belt change. I've done thousands of them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Ah, thanks. My memory is hazy, but I think it was last replaced 3-4 years ago by a tdiclub recommend mech. (Aided my tdi enthusiast friend- it was mother's car at the time) right now I'm debating going to exklusive in AZ asap, or making the ~5k return trip to the mechanic I know. (Also, should I buy the kit if I'm going to a mechanic? I vaguely recall being told no shop would use parts you bought but I've found otherwise)
If this is true you should be good to 80 or 90k.
Some mechanics will let you supply your own kit, some not.
Do avoid AZ and the like, use one of the vendors here, get the complete kit.
If you get in a pinch and must source parts locally, you'll need to identify the parts needed and know the sufficient brands for each bit (or buy at VW).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Who did the change? And where did you buy the kit? If you can remember either of those bits of info you might be able to find out whether or not you're due for another. If you bought in the last 4-5 years it's probably a 100K mile kit. I haven't seen a 60K mile belt around for a long time.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replacing the water pump IS a requirement. I have to say at least 8 of 10 are leaking by the belt change. I've done thousands of them.
Yes, a "requirement" per TDI gurus (which I agree with), but not a "requirement" from VW (VW has no interval defined):

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2003_All.pdf

Trivial, I know, but if someone (a newbie) looks it up and doesn't see it then folks making the "requirement" claim/statement might be seen as being less knowledgeable. This is a clarification for any "new" folks (folks that have been around the block know the difference- and those folks aren't going to be asking the question of whether they should change their TB [and or WP]).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW also states that burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is "normal". :rolleyes:
I suppose that if it's documented than it a fact. Isn't this for gassers though? (I was flabbergased to hear this when a mechanic I know mentioned this [in reference to a gasser].)

Anyway, I'm just looking to set the record straight as pertains to the facts. Statements of absolutism ought to have an attribution: in the WP case the information is cast out is as though it's attributable to VW, which is factually wrong.