Gentex replacement rearview mirror

xmac81

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
Since my mirror is just a dimmer (no Homelink, Compass, or Temp), I attached the power wire to a GRAY wire on the blue plug. This wire is HOT only when the headlights are turned on (dash lighting). Since the mirror will only dim when it's dark outside anyway, it made sense to "activate" the mirror when the headlights are on...

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
This was my first mod to my 2014 JSW. Thanks to everyone who posted info, it was an easy 90 minute job. I used the red/blue wire for both power wires. The mirror shuts off after 15 minutes and turns on when the door is opened. I used a VW adapter I found on EBay, black anodized aluminum with set screws to hold it in place. Fits perfect. I also replaced the Torx bolt on the mirror with a longer Allen bolt as the OEM bolt is too short.

TEGBOY

TDI
Sportwagen
The adapter isn't perfect unless you shim it. I used about 5-6 layers of duct tape on it then trimmed it down with a razor so the adapter would fit snugly in the mount, then it was perfectly tight. No vibrations.
I know this is a bit of a stretch.. but does anyone have a pic of where I need to apply the duct tape? My mirror is rattling since install