AC & Cabin Fan Turning Off

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
I have an intermittent problem in which the cabin fan stops blowing and the AC light turns off. So it seems like power to the whole circuit is being dropped. I've swapped fuses in the fuse box by the door but it did it after that too.

It's been working for a while now so I haven't been able to track anything down. Wondering if this is a problem with a common cause that someone can tell me about.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Sounds like the resistor for the fan motor

Let me guess, you get no fan in position 1-3 and the AC light is on and in position 4 you get fan with no AC right?

I replaced the resistor and motor since something caused the resistor to fail...mine was cracked so repairing it wasn't a possibility

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting...I'm wondering if it still could be the resistor and yours failed in a slightly different manner than mine did...any salvage yards close by, grab a used one for a few bucks and see if that changes your symptoms

Phrankentruk

Veteran Member
TDI
None (yet)
Possible I guess, though I would expect the resister to only affect the fan like it did with yours. On mine something seems to be cutting power to both.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine affected the AC as well, I had to hold the switch between 3 and 4 to get a blast of cold air as it died at the start of summer

In the first 3 positions I had AC light with no fan and position 4 gave me full blast fan but no AC

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If it's manual AC check fuses 5, 16, and 25 inside the car.
Also check all 3 have power to them with the car running.

Also check fuses 3 and 8 in the above the battery fuse box.
Should have power all the time.