Vw may soon hit the 85% requirement.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So according to this news report (so take it with a grain of salt) Vw said in February it has fixed or repaired nearly 83% of all affected vehicles.

Obviously they havent FIXED or REPAIRED nearly 83%, but I would be more willing to bet fixed or bought back nearly 83%.

I would not be affected by this as I sold back my 2013 Passat and my 2015 Passat has already had the phase 2b repair.

But there are some who are waiting as long as they can for the buyback or the repair.

Would anything change with repairs or buybacks once they hit the 85% mark?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
There is a report from few weeks ago that they already hit 85%. Nothing changes. Just means that program will end as scheduled on December 31st for 2.0L cars and VW complied with court order.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Would anything change with repairs or buybacks once they hit the 85% mark?
Buybacks are already being reported as becoming increasingly difficult to complete. The issues so far include: lack of claims portal updates, lack of availability of scheduling appointments, dealers opting out from the buyback process, and corporate taking a much more hands-on and stricter evaluation of buyback vehicles.

In regards to fixes, I expect roughly the same responses from VW as they have demonstrated with the buybacks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We've started getting fixed resales in here now, which is pretty encouraging.... got one here this morning.

The DIScouraging part, more than a few of them have suffered poor workmanship on the fix, including the one here today. This one they mangled the rear band clamp that attaches the deNOx catalyst to the exhaust flap, and it is leaking.... and it is such an obvious leak, that as soon as you drive off you hear a FOOOOOOSH sound. How it actually left the dealer service department like that I will never know. They are also supposed to be making sure the readiness monitors are set, which is a pain I know, but they often neglect to do this.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm wondering about the Supply/Demand factors as the BB deadline approaches. A lot of people are doing their BB late and will be getting 5-figure checks and will be buying a replacement. While at the same time, some cars will be fixed and offered for sale.

Anyone want to take a guess whether it will become a seller's market or a buyer's market or stay about the same over the next few months?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I'm wondering about the Supply/Demand factors as the BB deadline approaches. A lot of people are doing their BB late and will be getting 5-figure checks and will be buying a replacement. While at the same time, some cars will be fixed and offered for sale.

Anyone want to take a guess whether it will become a seller's market or a buyer's market or stay about the same over the next few months?
Wholesale auction prices for fixed cars are decreasing as supply of them is increasing. Don't know how well they are doing on retail sales.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Considering the newest 2.0L TDI on the lot would be 4+ model years old at this point, and the number of vehicles that VW still has in storage; I can only guess prices are heading in one direction.

Buyer’s market.

That’s my guess.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Wholesale auction prices for fixed cars are decreasing as supply of them is increasing. Don't know how well they are doing on retail sales.

I don't know either, but I do think that those who would prefer a newer model year and/or lower mileage shouldn't hold out too long. Just going by the dealer where I bought mine, they continue to bring in TDI's to sell but they are definitely turning to higher mileage and older model years. I don't know if this is because the "best" buybacks are resold first or if its just their strategy to source cheaper cars.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI

I'm going to guess pretty slow since a customer of mine went to look at a '15 Golf TDI 6M listed at $14,995 and drove off the lot with it for $9500.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
We've started getting fixed resales in here now, which is pretty encouraging.... got one here this morning.
The DIScouraging part, more than a few of them have suffered poor workmanship on the fix, including the one here today. This one they mangled the rear band clamp that attaches the deNOx catalyst to the exhaust flap, and it is leaking.... and it is such an obvious leak, that as soon as you drive off you hear a FOOOOOOSH sound. How it actually left the dealer service department like that I will never know. They are also supposed to be making sure the readiness monitors are set, which is a pain I know, but they often neglect to do this.
Interesting, I had the emissions fix done last spring and my engine light came on weeks later p2002 code and VW installed a new DPF. Fast forward a couple of months to this last weekend and on a out of state trip the engine light came on. Took the TDI to a VW dealer in are vacation town and they did a full check and told us it was a bank 1 dpf problem and my TDI had did 12 dpf regens in one day. Have a appointment at the VW dealer, any clue what caused all this with my TDI?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm going to guess pretty slow since a customer of mine went to look at a '15 Golf TDI 6M listed at $14,995 and drove off the lot with it for $9500.
Now that's a deal I could go for. At this point, I think the only VWAG product I could get my wife to consider would be a Q7. Not sure they'd drop 30% sticker price for me to put one in my driveway though. I've found an 05 GSW in red with the cream interior and under 100 miles but she didn't even want to discuss it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The "fix" seems to be riddled with various problems. Good thing the tuners can unfix the fix. ;)
For some few maybe. The majority of those I have read about say they notice little to no change and have no reported issues at all. Of the ones that do have issues it seems the "fix" isn't as much of the issue as those "fixing" (VW mechanics) it are.

oilhammer

TDI
It certainly varies. I know I have personally already dealt with several issues on post-fix cars for customers that were in no way the fault of poor workmanship of the dealer technicians. The reluctance of the new software to set readiness is one of them. This has become so bad that the Missouri DNR (the governing authority for our OBD testing program) has a special condition case going for these cars. Because some folks have been driving around for OVER a THOUSAND MILES and the readiness is not yet been set. :rolleyes:

So they are given VIN-specific exemptions so people can get their plate renewals.

And then the random DTCs that are popping up, with no obvious reason for them to be there, and very limited (even worse than before, and it was already bad) information on the specific pass/fail criteria.

Most people notice, but not complain about, a slight difference in fuel economy, power, or general running characteristics. But some are rampantly complaining. I get a PM or email almost weekly now because of this. And my only answer is to go after a tune from an aftermarket source.

The CKRA (just DSGs, as no fix for manuals was ever approved) seems to be by far the worst. The 2015 cars seem to have no issues at all, but then again those cars were going to get the least bit changed and there are fewer of those out there anyway. Plus, a lot of those cars have been bought "new" in an already "fixed" state, so those owners often have nothing to compare to. Those cars also have some other unrelated teething problems that we could expect (water pumps come to mind), and certainly more will evolve going forward. Lots of quarter million mile CJAAs running around. Not too many CVCAs have even hit 50k yet.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
It was my understanding that the tune only changes the map the ECU uses and does not change the way the smog controls function.

Is this wrong?

The "map" the ECU uses IS the emission controls. You really cannot separate the two. So yes, it is wrong.

Any time you want to reduce NOx, you have to increase fuel. Any time you increase fuel, you decrease fuel mileage, and you create more soot. When you create more soot, you require more DPF regens.... which uses yet more fuel.

Remember, if a diesel engine was allowed to do what a diesel does best, and run VERY lean, you'd get better fuel economy, lower soot, less DPF regens, lower CO output, CO2 output, and of course zero smoke. Oh, and the oil stays cleaner longer too. After 20k miles, a deleted CR oil filter looks cleaner than a stock one after 200 miles. Seriously, it is crazy how clean the oil stays.

But rest assured, they are saving the planet.... oh, and you can still buy a 15 MPG Suburban. Those are perfectly fine. Your 50 MPG Jetta has been outlawed. :rolleyes:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Makes you wonder if VW hitting 85% is taking some EPA pressure off them. I took my '15 VW Passatt 6-speed in for Phase 2 and was told the parts required for the fix were on national backorder with no ETA on when the parts would be available.
Wonder at what point I should call my lawyer?

oilhammer

TDI
Makes you wonder if VW hitting 85% is taking some EPA pressure off them. I took my '15 VW Passatt 6-speed in for Phase 2 and was told the parts required for the fix were on national backorder with no ETA on when the parts would be available.
Wonder at what point I should call my lawyer?

Does your lawyer have the parts? :confused:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Does your lawyer have the parts? :confused:
Too funny hammer ;-)
But I did call the claims hotline and for the first time they wereon the ball. Placed me on hold and came back with there were no parts shortages. They were going to have someone reach out to my dealer and I would get a response in 24 hours. Kinda strange if ask me.
I think for the 2.0's you have to have an make an appointment by 12/31/18 so I did not want to put it off.
Let's see what the dealer comes back with.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Get rid of it. When are you EVER going to get that much money for that car. Plus, all the problems people have been reporting post fix is completely discouraging.

My experience has been positive with regards to the buyback process. All my paperwork is in and I'm just waiting for them to clear me to pick a return date. Then I have till Dec 31st to return. My biggest problem is finding my exact replacement. I might have to travel to get it.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Doesn't "took my '15 VW Passatt 6-speed in for Phase 2" imply that the OP has already had the Phase 1 fix done and been paid part of the restitution? If so, there's only limited circumstances that would allow classification of the fixed car as a lemon that qualifies for a buyback. OP pretty much made the decision to keep the fixed car when Phase 1 was done.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It only tells us the *vehicle* has had phase 1 performed on it, but no inference can be drawn regarding ownership during that fix period. That is, someone else could have fixed it before sohccammer427 took ownership of it. But in general I'd say you're correct that there is no buyback option at this point.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
My bad; you are correct. I assumed too much.

But the advice to sell the car back because the deal is too good to pass up is irrelevant. There is no buyback option unless the "fixed" vehicle fits the settlement definition of a "lemon."

TDI owners are a diverse group; there is no "one size fits all" decision.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
WOW so negative... What problems post fix? Please tell me? I got 4 years and 40K miles warranty, plus $1000 goodwill, fix, plus $5000 and a few hundred from Bosch. I have a great 2010 JSW paid for, with 102K on OD (50K on 2013 engine installed late 2013 VW paid for it in the end - long story.) I'm keeping her for duration of warranty at minimum and likely will not sell it after. So few diesels on the market, if I keep it nice, like it is now, I suspect my residual value will be decent. Why? It is a good car and you can't get a diesel.

Just drove 1500 mile round trip vacation last week. NOT ONE PROBLEM. What problems? The feel on the open highway, MPG, power to pass even at 70 MPH makes me love this ride. As far as a diesel car glut in the USA market, ha ha. How many small diesel high mileage cars are being marketed and sold in USA? When they sold the old/new stock fixed Gen 2 2015/16's they went fast, yes?

Go drive a cheap econ-O-box car with 4-banger gas. Oh gosh awful winding out and going no where, and mileage is no where near the TDI. People will buy used TDI's 4 years 10 years from now. Look at the early 90's and early 2000's TDI's, they still go for $6,000 or more. Why? They are good cars.

Last edited:

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Back from the dealer and looks like the replacement DPF was defected and they are going to replace it with a new one.