ASV after EGR delete

olboyowl

TDI
04 Jetta TDI BEW
first tdi so im new to all this. i just deleted my egr and cooler last night on my 2004 bew jetta. everything went smoothly. car started fine and didnt throw a cel (yet). my question is, should i leave the ASV alone as is, or should i remove the plate/disc inside the ASV? not sure how it all works, but i dont want it to close all of a sudden on me as im doing 70 on the interstate. thanks in advance.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Leave it in there. It doesn't close until you turn the key off. It helps the engine shut down smoother and it is your best friend if you were to have a run away.

damac

Veteran Member
TDI
none
im curious about the same thing. im doing an alh mtdi swap and got a race pipe thing to take place of all the egr stuff and i blindly did it so i had less parts.
of course i already did the custom intercooler piping with the new parts.
if i got into a runaway i see people mention putting it in fifth gear and slamming on the brakes?
what if it was at idle and it ranaway could i put a piece of plywood over the air filter opening would that stop it i have seen youtube videos of people doing that. i have also seen people put shirts in there and have the engine eat them :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
A piece of wood will stop the air and should shut the engine -IF- you get the air tube off in a VERY few seconds.
If the clutch holds the torque it may stall the engine.
I wouldn't trust it with my clutch at 260K miles.