My '12 sedan Lemon Law buyback experience

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
In 14 months of ownership since new, my Jetta was in the shop over 50 days.

First was an electrical short under the dash at day 1 causing the cigarette lighters not to work. Dash removed and repaired.

Then a water leak getting in the trunk. This took over 6 visits and 5 months to resolve with everything being replaced in the rear of the car. Turned out to be a pinhole on the back of the taillight that only sucked in water when the vacuum of driving pulled it in.

Then the grand finale. EGR broke, as in had to be replaced altogether. The next week, intercooler icing. The car goes in on a flatbed twice. While it's in there they replace the DPF because it kept throwing an exhaust code.

Multiples boost leaks and CEL's and visits later I contact VW corporate. The process took about a month and the transaction was completed smoothly.

VW bought the car back this morning for what I paid for it and I moved on to another vehicle that I replaced it with this afternoon. The timing worked well and I was surprised it went with no hitches. (I know how it works on this board so I'll refrain from saying what I got. It's not a Prius ;) or fuel efficient at all but fun and simple.)

I can't have a new car strand me that many times (Once when it was 6 degrees outside). I lost confidence in doing anything more than a 5 mile trip. I paid $23k for a black TDI 6 speed Jetta and yet there I am driving a canary yellow loaner 2.5 automatic NB for 3 weeks.

My post is just to put it out there that if your car is a lemon, check the laws. This isn't a complaining post. It's not a brand bashing post. Not a CR TDI bashing post. But I was a fan, I got 2 friends to buy 2013 TDIs for their commute because they heard me brag about mine and I hope they are doing fine with theirs for a loooong time. I used PS white bottle every fillup hoping my HPFP wouldn't break, turns out everything else did instead. I learned so much about the car here and the site continues to grow with knowledge as time goes on. Good luck to you all!

Appropriate poster they had in the customer waiting area. I had to laugh!

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Can I have your HPFP as a back up. : )

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
..... I learned so much about the car here and the site continues to grow with knowledge as time goes on. Good luck to you all! .....
Best of luck to you also.

This is a great forum and hard to leave but think of all the extra time you will now have. I'm not sure what I would do with my spare time instead of hanging out on this forum if I moved on to a non-CR-TDI vehicle, maybe more and better sleep at night.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
did they buy it back after you lemoned it or did they buy it back before so the title wouldn't get lemon tagged????

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
did they buy it back after you lemoned it or did they buy it back before so the title wouldn't get lemon tagged????
Is there such a thing? I thought that cars returned under the lemon law couldn't be sold again? I just checked Connecticut's law. It requires full disclosure of all problems and repair attempts including all paperwork. Notice of repurchase has to be attached to the windshield.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Is there such a thing? I thought that cars returned under the lemon law couldn't be sold again? I just checked Connecticut's law. It requires full disclosure of all problems and repair attempts including all paperwork. Notice of repurchase has to be attached to the windshield.
It isn't a lemon unless the paperwork is filed. Dealers have been known to purchase the car back knowing if they didn't buy it back the lemon law paperwork would be filed. If they do it isn't a lemon and they can re-sell without the lemon attachment on the title.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
Too bad you got a lemon... It's nice to know that you were treated appropriately. Thank you for the objective post. Whining, ranting, crying and exaggerating don't help anyone.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI

No I went through VW corporate and sent paper through the Governors office address for state of GA. All the paperwork was handled by VW corporate and they fedexed some papers and a check to the dealership. The service manager looked it over, i turned in both keys, signed the papers and he gave me the check sent by VW corporate.

Very smooth transaction. They initally offered me a replacement with a '14 Jetta TDI. Since not much has changed in hardware I passed on that deal.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
It isn't a lemon unless the paperwork is filed. Dealers have been known to purchase the car back knowing if they didn't buy it back the lemon law paperwork would be filed. If they do it isn't a lemon and they can re-sell without the lemon attachment on the title.

This was not bought back by a dealer. This was from VW corporate just did the transaction at the dealer. They mentioned the car will likely get auctioned cheap. I think they have to disclose it was a lemon buyback.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Sorry to hear of your problems. Sad fact of life is every now and again something just refuses to work the way it's suppose to.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
This is unethical at the least and probably illegal. Can you provide real examples rather than just passing on stories? Anyway, the purchasing is done by the importer, not the dealer.

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I did the lemon law thing with a Dodge Dakota back in 1994, before it got to the "lemon" stage Dodge made me a deal where they gave me a check for $4000 and told me to trade the truck in after a year of ownership, basically I ended up with about $3000 more than I paid for it and the truck went right out on the lot and was sold as a used vehicle and not as a "lemon"

In that case the issues were mostly with my servicing dealer and not really the truck but I wouldn't have wanted to buy that truck.

So there you go, not a passed on story but real world experience, happens all the time:cool:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I did the lemon law thing with a Dodge Dakota back in 1994, before it got to the "lemon" stage Dodge made me a deal where they gave me a check for $4000 and told me to trade the truck in after a year of ownership, basically I ended up with about $3000 more than I paid for it and the truck went right out on the lot and was sold as a used vehicle and not as a "lemon"

In that case the issues were mostly with my servicing dealer and not really the truck but I wouldn't have wanted to buy that truck.

So there you go, not a passed on story but real world experience, happens all the time:cool:
So 20 years ago you had a transaction that matches your claim. I stand by my earlier statement that importers buy the car back on a lemon law claim, not the dealer.

Bigwhitebeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Actually if it doesn't go to "lemon law" then the dealer is buying it, not an importer or a corporation.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
Just for the sake of clarity, mine was directly through VWoA through Lemon Law.