www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old June 6th, 2020, 10:54   #1
Dwmccoy76

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default A/C question

06 Jetta TDI, put a new A/C compressor on. Pulled vacuum, well went to start adding the refrigerant and compressor never kicked on. Did notice that when the A/C button is one the accessory fan isnt on. Question is can that cause the compressor not to come on. I've read where some say it can an some say it won't. When car is up to temp both fans do come on. Haven't had a chance to run any diagnostic yet. Before when it worked it would take a while for the compressor to come on, then after this winter wouldn't come on at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dwmccoy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 10:57   #2
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

Do some search in the forums. The mkv didn't have a fan clutch, instead it has a control valve. Fan should come on when the ac is on too.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Old June 7th, 2020, 13:57   #3
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

Did you ever get the refrigerant added? I don't think it will come on until there is some refrigerant in the system.
MrBigTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2020, 14:39   #4
Dwmccoy76

I did, would say 3/4 of a can in
Old June 7th, 2020, 15:36   #5
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

So, the way the ac works on the mkv Jetta is different from many other vehicles, which often causes confusion and difficulty.
Most cars use a compressor which has a pulley that is constantly driven by the serpentine belt. Then when you turn on the ac, it will engage a clutch that then drives the compressor. The mkv uses a compressor that is constantly driven, and it has a control valve which controls the pressure and flow of the freon. If I remember right, one terminal is battery positive and the other one is a varying duty cycle dependant on how much flow is needed.
That valve can be quite problematic and many people will diagnose it that it has a bad compressor. But polar air has a new control valve which you can get which could be your problem. Do a search in this forum, there's a very helpful troubleshooting guide.

Old June 7th, 2020, 15:42   #6
Mozambiquer
Veteran Member

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

A5 Air Conditioning thread

Old June 7th, 2020, 16:34   #7
Dwmccoy76

Thanks for the info
Old June 10th, 2020, 00:56   #8
MrBigTruck
Veteran Member

I just replaced the RCV for the second time in one of my 06 Jettas. I had replaced it about 75,000 miles ago. The system is back up and working perfectly again in the 95 weather we had today.
MrBigTruck is offline   Reply With Quote