www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Beetle 2012+

VW Beetle 2012+ Discussion area for the 2012+ Beetle TDI (sometimes call the New New Beetle) based on the PQ35 platform.

Old May 31st, 2020, 21:07   #1
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Default Just purchased '15 Beetle Convertible TDI

Quite slow in here, so I'll share the news that we've added to our TDI stable.
Finally pulled the trigger on a Black TDI Beetle Convertible DSG, 32,500 miles, CPO status that's been sitting at a dealer for nearly a year, and going through auction, etc for a year before that.
Combination of lowered price, timing, 0%/60 month financing, and the amount of deferred work piling up on our '03 NB TDI finally did it.
It's in near-new condition cosmetically and has the back-up camera, but not the Nav or Fender audio.
First mod might be finding a CarPlay capable unit while keeping the slick OE badge pop-up backup camera. Then finding Heritage wheels with the chrome center caps/rings.
Have only driven it home, but impressed with the performance/economy of the EA288/DSG combo so far.
Originally we were going to sell the '03 NB TDI AND the '94 Audi Cabriolet, which is still awaiting a longitundinal AFN transplant. The wife has nixed that idea for the moment, she wants to keep them all!
'94 Audi Cabriolet: 80k miles still awaiting its AFN swap

Last edited by Baumeister; May 31st, 2020 at 22:25. Reason: fix image.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 15:35   #2
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Congratulations!
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 17:38   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

RNS315 works really well. Cheaper too! Plug and play for the most part.
Old June 1st, 2020, 18:45   #4
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Thanks Lightflyer1,
I've been researching for several hours yesterday and today! I'm concluding that I'm not gonna easily get both CarPlay and a good OE RVC image in the same unit. That is, unless there's an easy way to replace the RGB camera with an AV one?

So right now I'm thinking about just mounting an iPad mini for the CarPlay functionality(SiriusXM via streaming, Google Maps, etc.) with the stock unit.
But you're right, maybe just go ahead with the RNS315, and plug in an iPhone/iPad for longer trips. I didn't care for the CarPlay at first in our Chevy truck. Once Google Maps became available for it, it became quite handy and quick to work with while driving.

The price savings of the RNS315 will take the sting out of having to buy a new Ross-Tech interface, my old HEX-USB just won't cut it! I don't want to even start thinking about my original FlashZilla..., gonna work on getting some black Heritage wheels first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
RNS315 works really well. Cheaper too! Plug and play for the most part.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 07:33   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Bought a new unit ready to go for about $200 IIRC. They also preprogrammed it for me and furnished an oem puck as well as an OEM bumper mounted camera. I connect my Android phone via BT and do everything from there. I use Google maps and nav on the phone along with streaming music and such. I only use the 315 for the larger map display view and sound primarily. The phone does most of the work and connectivity and can be kept put away if wanted. I also use Torque and VAGDPF when needed as well.

From my reading you have to really want Car Play bad and be willing to pay a substantial amount and do the work yourself more than likely. The 315 was several hundred tops and pretty straight forward to do as it was an OEM option IIRC..
Old June 2nd, 2020, 13:07   #6
GTOguy

Welcome. It will be nice to see a little more travel in here.
Old June 5th, 2020, 23:02   #7
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Default Sticking with the RCD-510 for now...

Thank you!

Coming out of a sewing store today a woman in her 80s stopped me and asked if that was our bug. She told me she and her husband have an '18 Beetle in black, then lamented that they've only put 6k on it. Then, like older people do, she started telling me the story of when they were first married, her husband bought a new beetle that's stayed in their family all these years, that was 1957! They like the new one!

There's a few family VWs I wish were still in our family: the '67 white beetle, the '76 Beetle with a '69 block engine, a '67 Karmann Ghia, all the 60s Transporters my parents looked at before buying a brand new '79(wouldn't mind having that one back either). My wife's side of the family has a few, most notably a beat-up '58 Ghia convertible that rusted out past repair, at least to repair in those days. I'm sure in any shape that one's worth at least 5 grand, just for the VIN and title. Just saw a nice one for sale for $60k.

Now that I've driven our '15 a bit (not as much as my wife), I'm really liking the OE rear view camera, enough to convince me not to mess with the RCD-510 for now. An off-brand MDI cord arrived a few days ago, it connects to the iPhone just fine but doesn't charge the phone so its going back. Thinking maybe an MDI cable is not worth bothering with? The Bluetooth works great. Haven't used a phone mount in at least 15 years but we're gonna try some out, maybe with wireless charging.

The DSG is behaving so far. Looking at the average consumption I can see my wife's been using the gas pedal as an on-off switch, she's having a lot of fun. She works nights, she likes the 'light-up' speaker rings, and the quality of the bluetooth connectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Welcome. It will be nice to see a little more travel in here.
Old June 21st, 2020, 17:53   #8
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Happy Father's Day, everyone!

Today, I added Adblue/DEF for the first time, then figured out how easy it was to remove the locking band on the Kruse bottles. Pried that 1/4" locking ring(similar to a 2-litre soda bottle cap) in a few spots by misusing a flathead screwdriver, then used my network cable snips(they were handy to neatly pinch off the locking ring.

Was hoping to drain the tank first since the car had been mostly sitting for 19 months, but didn't see an easy way to do that so I decided just to fill up for now. to dilute the old stuff.
Also just filled up with 100% Propel HPR for the second time: 12.2gallons each time.

Dosed with Stanadyne Lubricity(purple bottle) on both fill-ups, but thinking that might be redundant while running 100% HPR? I've got PowerService on the shelf too, might try that next fill-up.
Finally got an owner's manual via eBay and Monster Mats are still on the way.
We decided to stick with the stock radio for now, the bluetooth works great and I don't want to mess with swapping out the rear view camera at the moment. I also listen to HD-Radio quite a bit so don't want to lose that.

I did buy a fancy phone holder/ wireless charger. Tried the CD mount which wasn't sturdy enough for my wife's iPhone plus. I then removed one of the switch blanks and clamped it on there: nice and SOLID. My wife loves that, works great for Google Maps/streaming SiriusXM(much better quality than satellite).

Still on the lookout for a set of Heritage wheels and center covers, might go with the SoCal place that refurbishes them. I'll be driving down that way in a few weeks, but if they're still not doing FTF business I'd just as soon have them ship them so I can drive this TDI instead of my pickup. Might be a wash on the shipping vs. additional fuel cost anyways.
For tires, I usually splurge on Michelins on the stickier side but thinking about the General Altimax RT 43 for this stock suspension car. It's got brand-new Ohtsu's on it,(haven't checked the manufacture date yet). Doesn't make sense to me to unmount/remount such a cheap tire, and then pay again to mount decent tires in the next year or so, right? I'm thinking the stock wheels with the full tread Ohtsu's ready to go would get snapped up pretty quick on Craigslist or FB Marketplace.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 18:30   #9
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Beetle-5...AAAOSwz0Be6-Tc

Not perfect, and horrid color. Easily painted, and maybe defer some cost by selling the snow tires to someone in PNW.
Old June 23rd, 2020, 23:27   #10
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Beetle-5...AAAOSwz0Be6-Tc

Not perfect, and horrid color. Easily painted, and maybe defer some cost by selling the snow tires to someone in PNW.
Wow! you aren't kidding about the color!! Not a horrible deal, but i think I'm gonna go with a reconditioned set like these: https://www.stockwheels.com/Volkswag...937A-Wheel-Rim

Especially if I can pick them up next month when I'm down that way.
I'll still need the center caps.
Old June 26th, 2020, 17:37   #11
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
I'll still need the center caps.
Lots of those and beauty rings on ebay. New/genuine stock. Maybe you can find a deal.