Battery failed - can I replace it without VCDS?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
My battery has been getting weaker over the past week. Thinking that I was taking it for too short of trips because of the lock down - I put it on a trickle charger overnight and it started without hesitation. I tried starting it this AM and it barely turned over. This battery went down hill quickly.

I need to replace the battery but I don't have VCDS. I can get a ride to walmart/ auto zone and buy a replacement battery but I thought that you have to put the code of the battery into VCDS?

Options?

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I got my battery from the dealer thinking the same thing, that they would code it. They didn't, they just slapped it in. I found out later when I logged in with OBDeleven and I did it myself.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I’ve never heard of a TDI that has the battery management system. I believe you can just swap it without VCDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Subscribed.

I'm still learning about these newer models, but I just bought a new battery for my '04. No coding required, and the last one was VW that lasted 9 years!

Used to also have an '06 mk5, no coding required.

This new batt I paid around $150 at the dealer (including tax), I believe the guy said 1 year full warranty, 5 prorated.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i just swapped mines in 15 golf , never heard about coding

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
Some sub models do have a battery management system that require recoding for the new battery as the car will use a different charging strategy based on battery age. I do not believe any TDI has the battery management system.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I changed my battery and it does need coded with vcds. Will the car still work without vcds? Yes. Will this shorten the battery life due to altered charging patterns? Likely yes.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you code it because you changed it to AGM, like your signature says? ...that's different.

Neither of my 2015 have AGM batteries.

If you did have to code something, could you please let us know what you coded?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Did you code it because you changed it to AGM, like your signature says? ...that's different.

Neither of my 2015 have AGM batteries.

If you did have to code something, could you please let us know what you coded?
Yes I had to change the battery type. Word around the camp fire is as a battery ages the control modul changes how it charges the dying battery. In order to reset the system you go into the battery charging modul and change the serial number of the installed battery. This lets the system know to clear stored data on the old battery. Obviously this is just what I've read and how I choose to handle my car. Research the process and see what you wana do.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement

Also you can look at the Mk7 vw forums for other or more info.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My wife's 2015 TDI has a battery management system, and I did enter the code with VCDS when I swapped in a new one for her.

So yes, battery management does exist on a TDI. On a 2015 at least.

If you're swapping in a battery that is the same battery chemistry (AGM), and same Ah rating, it probably won't make any difference if you don't enter the code. The battery should behave roughly the way the computer expects it to. If anything is different, then coding is more important.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife's 2015 TDI has a battery management system, and I did enter the code with VCDS when I swapped in a new one for her.

So yes, battery management does exist on a TDI. On a 2015 at least.

If you're swapping in a battery that is the same battery chemistry (AGM), and same Ah rating, it probably won't make any difference if you don't enter the code. The battery should behave roughly the way the computer expects it to. If anything is different, then coding is more important.

My 15 Golf SEL doesn’t have it. Do you have the additional wiring coming off the negative battery cable? If not it doesn’t have BMS.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 15 Golf SEL doesn’t have it. Do you have the additional wiring coming off the negative battery cable? If not it doesn’t have BMS.
It appears to have it, meaning VCDS finds the battery management module and allows you to change the coding from the original battery to the new battery.

Before I changed it, the module did contain the coding from the original battery, so VW entered that information when the car was manufactured.

Maybe some cars have it, and some don't, depending on features. The car I did it on is a 2015 Golf TDI Comfortline with DSG and convenience package. It's a Canadian model.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
My understanding is that all cars have have the info in the computer and you can see it and change it, but unless you have start stop tech it doesn’t actually do anything. Either way I would also code mine when I replace it but I’m pretty sure on a TDI if you don’t have access to VCDS it wouldn’t actually matter.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My understanding is that all cars have have the info in the computer and you can see it and change it, but unless you have start stop tech it doesn’t actually do anything. Either way I would also code mine when I replace it but I’m pretty sure on a TDI if you don’t have access to VCDS it wouldn’t actually matter.

What do you mean by "start stop tech"?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
When I coded mine I just changed the number 1 digit, I don't think there was any more options so it probably doesn't do anything more than keep a record of battery replacement on mine anyway

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Mike and kdawg-
how were you able to tell if your '15 had the management system (or not)? Did you need VCDS to find out if you had the battery management system installed or is there something to look for under the hood?

I think this is where some of confusion is coming from.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
All 2015 TDI didn't come with start stop and come with standard FLA batteries.

If you "upgrade" to an AGM battery then you'd need coding.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike and kdawg-
how were you able to tell if your '15 had the management system (or not)? Did you need VCDS to find out if you had the battery management system installed or is there something to look for under the hood?
I think this is where some of confusion is coming from.
I used this guide to do the battery coding with VCDS.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Battery_Replacement

I was able to successfully do the coding, but whether or not it was strictly necessary on the 2015 TDI, I don’t know. I just did it because I have VCDS, and the internet says to do it.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I wouldn’t buy VCDS or OBDELEVEN just to replace the battery although it is worth owning one. I’m pretty confident you don’t need to worry about it as generally it is only cars with start stop tech the require battery coding, and the TDI doesn’t have the extra battery management wiring required. You can see a good explanation of it on this site.

https://www.samarins.com/glossary/battery-sensor.html

Bat basically the TDIs do not have the current sensor required for the car to do things like variable output charging. And variable output charging is exactly why you would code the battery to the car. It can then adjust charging voltage based on battery chemistry or put out more or less power to the battery depending on age of the battery, electrical load, battery charge state (which varies a lot on start stop cars because they run HVAC, radio, etc even with the engine off) and which is why these systems exist.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I was tracking something else using VCDS in my 2015 GSW, and went ahead and checked for the batt module...there is none, exactly like kdawg89 says.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I’ve never heard of a TDI that has the battery management system. I believe you can just swap it without VCDS.

I did. It had multiple dash lights come on. They went out after a few feet of movement. No codes, all good. Ive seen others state the same.