No start after fuel filter change

vdub

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I changed the fuel filter on 2015 Golf TDI, filled filter with fuel, started and let it idle while I checked for leaks. None. Shut car off to change oil. Drained and refilled oil. Frustrated-Left old filter-no tool to get filter housing off. Tried to start, wouldn't. Attempted the key on procedure for about 10-15x.
Still won't start. Acts like it wants to run, fires a couple of times then stops.
Do I continue the key on procedure more? I've thought about the VCDS, but tripping over the cost as I only do filter changes and minor things, is that my best option at this point? Thanks for any help as you've helped me in the past when I started with diesels in 2000.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
It may takes a while to prime. Not great to run high pressure pump empty though.

I would order OBDEleven, and wait for it to properly prime. I believe it's like $80 on Amazon. Much cheaper that replacing HPFP and injectors.

Also filling with fuel can be risky, make sure you don't fill downstream of the filter.

Alternatively, if you are in a hurry and need the car, turning ignition ON (without starting) many many times without starting may do the trick.

vdub

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
thanks ticaf, I was drawn to the OBD11 because of price and my limited mechanical skill. Just wasn't sure if it would allow me to run the fuel pumps like in the VCDS to prime. I'll check it out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You won't hurt the pump trying to start the car. There's always enough fuel left in the pump to lubricate it for awhile unless you install a dry, brand new pump. Otherwise they'd drop like flies everytime somebody ran their car out of fuel.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Just wasn't sure if it would allow me to run the fuel pumps like in the VCDS to prime. I'll check it out.
Yes you can run the fuel pump with OBD11. Make sure you get the 'PRO' version. I think you should buy it anyway if you intend to keep the car. Even if your mechanical skills need improving, you can get a lot of help on this forum by posting the trouble codes.

wdp4377

TDI
Jetta Premium
What is the procedure to do a transfer fuel pump filter on an iOS obdeleven pro version. I have tried going to engine, basic setting, code 35 and keep getting an error. If any one has done a fuel filter change in a TDI jetta 2012-2014, would appreciate your help