What mods did you do while quarantined?

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Is there a noticeable difference? Did you do this for road noise or sound system? I think I'll have to add that to my future Quarantine 2021 projects. I'm interested in also adding deadening to the doors and under the carpeting.

It did! I sound deadened my rear doors also which I didn’t take any pics of but yes, deadening helped a lot for rear tire road noise and exhaust noise. Front doors are next.

Side note: I’ve sound deadened my last 2 cars as well (wrx and 350z) and the noise reduction was huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Side note: I’ve sound deadened my last 2 cars as well (wrx and 350z) and the noise reduction was huge.

What areas did you do on the WRX? Any advice on deadner selection?

Last edited:

mikec944

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech
What thickness Kilmat did you go with and how much did you have to buy? I see they have 50 and 80 mil. TIA.

It did! I sound deadened my rear doors also which I didn’t take any pics of but yes, deadening helped a lot for rear tire road noise and exhaust noise. Front doors are next.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
What areas did you do on the WRX? Any advice on deadner selection?
I deadened all is the doors and the trunk lid. I did as much as the rear trunk as I could before I ran out of kilmat. Pulling the rear seats on WRX’s is super easy to do though and looking back I wish I did that as well.

What thickness Kilmat did you go with and how much did you have to buy? I see they have 50 and 80 mil. TIA.
I used 50mil because it’s cheaper and the Q5 is already pretty quiet when it comes to road noise. I’m sure 80mil would be more effective but I couldn’t tell you to what degree. If keeping your car light isn’t a priority, I’d throw the 80mil in there. I also threw some Noico (more expensive though) sound deadening down on top of the kilmat on parts of my hatch. I will post more pictures when I do my front doors

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope to install my 1st tune this weekend.
Kerma non delete.
Give us your impression. I've got my eye on the same time.
Got it downloaded. A few self inflicted issues but otherwise smooth process. Kerma waas great to work with. Only driven once but smooth and stronger. More later
I finally took er' out for a 60 mile freeway stretch. The Polar showed I was JUST ready for another active regen with 150 miles since last one. The DPF is only 5k old and stock tune never passively keep soot level burnt off, even on 700* freeway runs. Here are a few things I noted:

First thing I noticed was it sounded different. Not bad, not good, just slightly different.

Started & idled just as good as it always has.

Slight power boost feel, havent put it to the giggle test yet but it always felt strong.

Normally a 50 mile freeway run leveled out @ around 45mpg ish... Today the lie-o-meter read 50.3 @ the returning offramp and "seemed" to be slowly adding mpg still. More trips needed though to see.

The soot load stayed @ 0.0 the whole freeway portion. It went up to 0.5 midtrip as I idled thru Wendys drivethru, but passively burnt soot off on return trip.

Joy meter hit a nice spot everytime the car idled by reading much lower EGT's. Probably 50*+. In the past I made it a practice to shut a/c off & idle to bring EGTs down below 400*. Normally would only take less than 30 seconds but the temperature would stay over 400* if the a/c was on! Now 375* ish with a/c, 315* with out.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the Kerma tune installed. So far so good.

UPDATE
after a few regens noted:
pre tune @ roughly 250-300 miles @ 15.0+- soot gr. load (loosely based on past input). NEew tune seems to set active regen sooner AND @ much lower soot loads. Around 200 miles & as low as 2.0...ish on the soot gr. It DOES seem to put out less soot to the point freeway driving actually tends to passively reduce soot to 0.0. Soooo

I talked to Mike @ Kerma about concern(?). He confirmed the tune basically is set to active regen more often, even at lower soot levels to keep the DPF soot build up burnt off. Stands to reason I guess. The economy seems improved slightly but I need to run a few more tanks thru.

Last edited: