www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old March 17th, 2020, 11:05   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Looks kinda cooked to me.
Are you looking at the clutch disc in the background of the last picture? I don't see anything burnt. Looks fine to me.
Old March 17th, 2020, 15:09   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Are you looking at the clutch disc in the background of the last picture? I don't see anything burnt. Looks fine to me.
Mostly based off the pressure plate contact surface. There isn't a very good shot of the disc, though it looks like there may be some damage near the circumference in one area.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2020, 12:57   #18
740GLE
Veteran Member

i think it's the blueing on the springs/forks fingers, is that normal?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 13:13   #19
iowaparrish

Thanks for the replies. I should have requested preservation of the parts, but didn't, and these were the only pictures I received, so I don't know that I can really provide any additional answers to advance any warranty claim.

I don't feel I got a fully raw deal as the clutch is a bit of a gamble on a used vehicle, even one that got a CPO endorsement from VW. The final bill was $1250 after comping half the labor and inflated parts. Again, couldn't have gotten it done cheaper outside the dealer. So all the evidence I have is a work order saying the pressure plate failed - no specifics, and the four pictures I was provided. I'm doubtful I could pursue a warranty claim on this alone.

I think I'll count my blessings given the present state of things and let this go.

Thanks again.

David
iowaparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 14:33   #20
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Consider it good in my opinion. You could have just been blown off completely! No one likes getting hit for an unexpected repair bill but paying some is better than paying all of it, and you have a completely new unused clutch installed now. Should last quite some time if you drive right.
Old March 25th, 2020, 03:33   #21
740GLE
Veteran Member

Now lets just hope the shops torqued everything down and you have many happy miles ahead.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 08:29   #22
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk7 Golf TDI

I know I'm a bit late to this but i had a pressure plate fail on my mk4 after 2 years and it was similar in that you couldn't see anything obvious once it came out. Turns out there's some sort of wire by those pivot pins that snapped (single wire welded into a circle) and it presented very similar symptoms: clutch pedal became soft and would not disengage fully. It was very hard to see anything wrong with anything in the clutch system until i looked at pressure plate very closely
Victor Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 12:02   #23
iowaparrish

Default VW comes through with extra $$

Thought I'd update this a little further - the dealer called me this weekend out of the blue to inform me that VW came through with extra $$ against this repair. Initially they went in for half parts half labor, and I had $1250 out of pocket. I guess the warranty department made some kind of determination based on the photographs??, or some argument I may have made in discussing this with their corporate rep??, but for whatever reason they ponied up an additional $730, and refunded it to my credit card.

So a new clutch installed for $520 on my end. I figured I would highlight when a company does right.
iowaparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 19:47   #24
wonneber
Veteran Member

It's great they took care of you with this one.
They must have checked it & realized they had a weak part (or such) and possibly they have to upgrade it.
wonneber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 06:30   #25
pedroYUL
Veteran Member

Basically you paid for parts, and by that I mean LUK parts bought somewhere else, not from the dealer...not bad at all.
pedroYUL is offline   Reply With Quote