www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 1st, 2019, 09:54   #1
roycheck99

Default VW B7: Coolant Flush / Heater Core Flush

Hi all, I'm pretty handy and can do basic car work but by no means am I comfortable working on cars. Its a known issue that the heater cores have a serious design flaw with the VW B7's. I've had my heater core replaced 3 times by VW while I was still under the extended warranty but I lost most my heat last winter. I'm trying to figure this out before the harsh New England winter hits.

Currently my car outputs 135F from the left vents, 110F from the Left Center, 100F from the Right Center and 90F from the Right side vents. My wife will no get in my car during the winter since its blowing cold air on her.

I called VW and was quoted about $800-$1000 to replace the heater core and to do a full system flush so I decided to take this repair on. I've been doing so digging and can't find good instructions how to properly flush the coolant system to full empty out all of the coolant from a 2013 Passat TDI.

First, I've pulled the lower radiator hose off and captured only about 1/3 of a gallon of coolant from the system. Most of it seems to be from the radiator and from the coolant reservoir. Obviously this wasn't close to the amount of coolant I expected so I filled up the reservoir with distilled water, ran it until it got up to temp and repeated to drain through the lower radiator hose. After 5 cycles, I was still getting a good concentration of coolant but had to stop for the moment.

I put some Prestone Radiator Flush and Cleaner into the system and been driving on it for the past few days. I'm now looking to drain the system again to get all the distilled water and the cleaning agent before pulling the heater core hoses and refilling with coolant.

My question, does anyone have a good procedure with pictures or video how to fully drain the coolant system for a 2013 Passat TDI. And does anyone have a good procedure (pictures/video) and tips about flushing the heater core for a 2013 Passat TDI?

Thanks in advance for the help fellow TDI drivers.
roycheck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 11:36   #2
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

read this... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxgazxO4YLZV0hyTm1OVm1tNE0/view
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 11:54   #3
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Also this... there is a tsb/warranty on heater core.. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...+core+warranty
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 13:39   #4
rustycat
Veteran Member

There was a great instruction here on using a shop vac to drain the system. Hopefully, someone bookmarked it.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:04   #5
steves96tdi
Veteran Member

Here you go: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=458814
Amsoil Dealer #206107
steves96tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 17:58   #6
roycheck99

I was able to find the coolant flush procedure using the shop vac. Worked way better than pulling the lower radiator hose. After flushing the system a few times and connecting a garden hose to the heater core inlet and outlet in attempt to unclog, I'm still getting poor heat on the passenger side.

Has anyone had good luck unclogging a heater core? I have 150k mile so I'm outside the warranty
roycheck99 is offline   Reply With Quote