www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old October 26th, 2019, 20:09   #16
Paulman
Veteran Member

So, after parting with $150, I now have showroom quality paint courtesy of a professional detailer. It was indeed thick tree sap (I wonder where was it stored in NC).

I'm now due for my 60,000 maintenance and I will also have a list of things for VW to fix: whistling sunroof (I have no experience with this), both dead 12V outlets, odor when using the AC, dangerously outdated navigation maps and SiriusXM dropping out likes it's trying to keep buffering the data.
It sounds like I'm complaining but with this warranty and a little patience, they'll probably all be sorted out.
I'm going to get to know the Service department quite well! I might bring some chocolates on my first visit. LOL.
Paul
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 22:19   #17
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world_jb View Post
The warranty on the CPO buybacks should calm the worst of your fears. I picked up a CPO 12 JSW in January and have been thrilled...especially since lifting it, as you know!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Did lifting it change your fuel mileage?
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 15:35   #18
toytech

TDI(s): 2000 jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I bought a 13 JSW last February. 61k and have had no issues yet. Have 2 year CPO warranty. I did not want one with the panoramic sunroof due to sunshade can break, drain tubes can leak and sunroof frame can crack and leak also. I work as a tech at a VW dealer and have repaired the sunroof issues and they are a pain to do. One thing to realize is these cars have been sitting a while and in most cases will have issues. I tell our Salesmen to explain to customers this and not to be surprised if an issue comes up shortly after purchase. This is why VW gives such a good CPO warranty. If you are considering buying one I strongly urge to get one that is a CPO. Or buy a warranty that covers none drivetrain items since the extended emissions warranty will cover the drivetrain.
toytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2019, 16:19   #19
TDI Kovács
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech View Post
One thing to realize is these cars have been sitting a while and in most cases will have issues.
Anyone have any idea what VW did to the cars while they sat so long?
I have been starting my JSW once a week with the a/c running to keep things working while I try to figure out how to get the dang alternator out.

2012 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2DR 6MT United Grey
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG Platinum Grey
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG Reflex Silver
TDI Kovács is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2019, 16:20   #20
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

my first one (totaled because of deer) had the dpf go bad. My replacement hasnt had any trouble. I plan to get a malone 0.5 and dsg tune with x-mas bonus then delete and stage 2 after warranty expires. if your state used b20 diesel your hpfp has a less likely chance of failing. Can always use aditives if you have straight diesel. A co-worker has 180k on his mk6 jsw tdi with no problems. hes had it stage 2 tuned and kept all emissions equipment. His wife even mis-fueled it once (2 yrs ago) and has had no issues. Starts in our MN winters.
Keep up on maintance. Fuel filter change every fall, oil 10k, dsg oil every 40k (dont listed to your dealorship if they say 80k), coolant every 5 yr/150k timing belt 120k. i think brake fluid is every 3 years? Check your engine and cabin air filter EVERY oil change. Rotate tires during oil change. Everything im saying i learned from this forum and my owners manual.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2019, 23:10   #21
Paulman
Veteran Member

I had the 60,000 mile service done at the dealer. This CPO that I bought came with free oil changes at 7,500 miles. I didn't need to do the oil change for another 7,000 miles but these filters needed to be changed since I'm not sure there was a 50,000 mile service done on this vehicle. The DSG service was recorded at 40,000 so that's good.
The 60,000 service is all filters and that certainly solved the AC smell. The pollen filter change seemed to correct the "turn on AC and smell mold" smell.
I'm putting a lot of PowerService +cetane in the first few tanks but everything is smooth but the DSG, as I remember, is pretty jerky around town.
Paul
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 12:06   #22
LabGuy

I purchased a CPO 2014 Passat with 47k miles from a VW dealer near Tampa, FL. We have put a few thousand miles on it with no issues!
LabGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2019, 10:10   #23
Mofoliar

Fuel Economy: 30 city 45/50 Highway

I purchased 11’ Jetta TDI Se w/122,000 about 3 months back besides my transmission Died 3 wks after purchase, covered under Vw extended warranty
Mofoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 09:49   #24
foxracer1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Low34/Avg40/best54

Bought a CPO 15 Passat SEL june of 17 with 33K on it. It has been mostly trouble free for the 28K miles we've put on it. Had a DEF line leak and a glow plug harness that needed fixed, both covered under warranty.

The local dealer(not the one where we purchased it), called and wanted to make us an offer on it. Offered us like $12k for it. We paid double that 2 yrs prior. I feel we over paid but we needed a car and they just started selling the TDi's.

Just recently the radio quit working, the trunk wont open, and driver's seat memory has been acting up. I'm concerned its a BCM issue. Obviously prob not covered under the extended warranty.
Vag-Com owner
foxracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:37   #25
Joe Romas
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1 mpg bringing it home

I've had my CPO NC 2014 JSW, mid range I didn't want the trouble sum sun roof, for 2 months and two thousand miles with 13k miles on it when I got it. It had been sitting for 22 months in a NC field somewhere also under a tree but the dealer, Hall VW Mazda in Milwaukee WI, cleaned it really well and shined it up real nice and as far as I can tell did all necessary service. I'm getting used to the DSG transmission and am liking it more and more. Fantastic car, can't wait to get some good tires on it, the OEM Chinese tires slip like crazy.

As far as what VW did while they were in storage I understand they were started and warmed up once a month.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:55   #26
ranger pete
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Bought my ‘11 bone stock JSW last April. No troubles to this point. Bought with 55k, currently at 88k. Fantastic car, so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ranger pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 14:44   #27
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
As far as what VW did while they were in storage I understand they were started and warmed up once a month.
I don't think they were touched while in storage. Dealers said they started up the new cars that were part of the stop sale, but I'm pretty confident the buyback cars just sat.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 20:26   #28
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There were some pictures posted that showed some buyback cars on the lot with their hoods up and doors open. Looked like they were doing something with them. At least some.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 03:12   #29
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The left the hoods up in some locations (like Texas) to try and keep rodents out, I was told. Don't know about the open doors, haven't seen that. One of the lots was near my work and I went past it a number of times when it was full. Never saw any activity at the cars, just a guard sitting near the entrance to the lot.
Old June 30th, 2020, 19:09   #30
mydecember1985
Veteran Member

My DPF died on me. It was so young.... so innocent

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

Within a few weeks of buying the car in October, I noticed regens were happening about every 210-240 miles. Almost twice the frequency of our '11 that we turned in during buyback. Just assumed it was part of the software patch. I am religious about letting them complete. Maybe 1 in 10 I cut off after only a few minutes of cycling. Other times, I just pass by the house and drive an extra 15 miles til I hear the fans quiet down. Service rep says so many people have no idea what a regen is and even less know not to interrupt them so it's odd that mine failed.

Light came on 2 weeks ago. Made appointment. Dealer did a forced regen. Reset light. Drive home. comes back on next day. appointment to ditch it overnight 2 days later. Got news yesterday that they found excess soot in the DPF. No cracks. Deemed it needed to be replaced. I asked if technician pressure tested the charge side. Said no but might try it next time it's in.

Backorder for DPFs is currently 4-6 weeks. I will park it as much as possible but drive it ~2 days a week when the wife needs her car.

Technician didn't put it back together very well. I can easily hear the turbo dumping pressure out of the exhaust/DPF. Video here
https://youtu.be/W2IQ7kFHsKY

awaiting response if dealer wants to investigate leak

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.

First time that light comes on out of warranty, that DPF's gonna disappear.

mydecember1985 is offline   Reply With Quote