www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 16th, 2020, 20:32   #121
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Hey guys and girls, sorry its been awhile. I've been a little busy working on some of my friends vehicles. Anyway time to carry on, I really need to get this back log of pics posted! We are going all the way back to the fall of 2018 for this one. I insured the truck for the coming winter and took it for a little test drive. Just as I was pulling back into the driveway the coolant temp spiked right to the top of the gauge. I turned the truck off and popped the hood to find this lovely surprise!

The upper rad hose had come off because the plastic end tank cracked right around where the hose clamp was. I going to say it was because of old age and not because the hose clamp was too tight.

The solution of course.... is not to buy a new rad, but to go looking in my stash for something suitable to fix it with. Wouldn't you know it I had a damaged cummins intercooler!

Time to remove the plastic endtanks and make them out of aluminum like they should have been.

The bottom was quite clean.

And the top only had a little rusty residue that came of easy with water and a toothbrush.

Chopped one of the cummins endtanks off and started to compared it to the plastic tank. Almost good for lentgth, but its going to need some pretty good surgery.
J.Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 14:58   #122
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Here's all the pieces to make the bottom tank.

Welded up and ready for test fit on the rad

Test fit looks good. Time to make it all one piece.

The top tank is much the same except that I added a point where I can add coolant/ bleed air.

Mocking up the top tank.

It passed the leak test so I put it all back together, ready to go back into the truck.

Old May 18th, 2020, 07:02   #123
evguy1

Jason, I do enjoy seeing your fab work. I shipped another Nissan kit to a fellow near you last week, hopefully he will do a build thread as well.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 19:59   #124
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evguy1 View Post
Jason, I do enjoy seeing your fab work. I shipped another Nissan kit to a fellow near you last week, hopefully he will do a build thread as well.
Thanks! I hope it gives people ideas for solving problems that they come across. That's great that you sold another nissan kit. Gotta catch up to those toyotas and jeeps haha. I'd like to meet this guy sometime. Maybe you could send me an email if he is interested.
Old May 31st, 2020, 19:47   #125
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

After that winter was over I decided that the little diesel was shaking the truck a bit too much. The solution was to replace the gas engine mounts with hydraulic ones. The ones from a BHW would be good but were kind of expensive to get from vw. As far as I could tell all the aftermarket ones for a BHW look the same as oem but are not fluid filled like the original and won't do the same job. So I got some mounts form the local Jeep/Dodge dealer that were for a Jeep Liberty CRD.

Passenger side gas mount setup

CRD mounts. Turns out the one with the heat shield is cheaper so I just ordered two of them

Old frame mount location is going to have to go!

New frame mount tacked to the frame rail

Test fit CRD mount and now its time build between the mount and the engine block

Old May 31st, 2020, 19:51   #126
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Finish weld, paint and install.

It's tight in there but I can still get the starter out.
Old May 31st, 2020, 20:01   #127
J.Klassen
Veteran Member

Driver's side is more of the same

Only this time I had to make it so that the mount could be unbolted from above because with the front differential below it the would be no way to get at the bottom bolt.

Final test fit, then paint and install.