Just bought a 2014 Passat SE TDI

Heavy_D

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Good morning all,

I'm new to the forum and don't know all the etiquette and acronyms just yet, so please be forgiving.

I just bought into the emissions panic and got a great deal on a 2104 Passat TDI SE with sunroof, NAV, and premium sound. It has 23,000 miles and I got it for $18,250. The car is absolutely amazing! It rides and drives like a dream. I've read some negative reviews about the interior being cheap. I disagree. Everything about the car exudes quality.

It's not a fast car, but faster than my 2004 Jetta and pickup truck. Acceleration is not what I bought this car for. I bought a Corvette for that.

After reading in the forums, I know I'm about to get flamed by the purists that these numbers are inaccurate and don't count. I'm going to share anyway as I want to see if this is what other members are seeing on fuel economy.

On the drive home, I reset the trip computer fuel economy average. Yes, I'm well aware that does not give me a tank of fuel average, but only an average for that distance. I believe the distance was fair enough to not skew the data. From Toledo to an hour past Detroit, I averaged 56 MPG with the cruise set at 75 MPH, no AC, and one minor traffic jam.

The ride to work this morning (mix of highway and city) yielded an average of 47 MPG.

These numbers are amazing to me. I was not "hyper-miling" as I don't know what that is or how to do it.

TDIEQNY

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Congratulations on your new purchase.

These cars do indeed get excellent mileage and beat the # quoted on the sticker.

Enjoy.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
$18.2 k? That's a great price.
Welcome to the club. If you're interested, spend some time reading the appropriate "stickies" at the top of each section. Lots of valuable information.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Welcome, and let me add you are like a breath of fresh aire, after reading all the whining, sniveling drama over the last few weeks.
At last a Happy Camper.
It's a great car, enjoy it!!!!!
If your eyes are a bit on the old side, you might find chaning out the low beam bulbs a great "mod".

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^or even simpler...make certain the low beams are adjusted properly. Factory setting is too low, giving the illusion of weak headlights. A very slight adjustment is all it takes.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Also remember that the indicated reading of your fuel mileage is most likely high. Mine varies about 3-5 mpg higher indicated than actual, that seems to be commonplace in these cars.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
glad to see im not the only one that stole one of these great cars ( i won't say what i paid but it was far less than you paid )
2 weeks with the car and i AVG mid 40's around town.

Heavy_D

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Thank you all for the kind words!

DEAD-BROKE, Darn! I thought I got a good deal. I've always heard the time to buy is when everyone else is selling. I think I may have done it right for the first time...

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Good morning all,
I'm new to the forum and don't know all the etiquette and acronyms just yet, so please be forgiving.
I just bought into the emissions panic and got a great deal on a 2104 Passat TDI SE with sunroof, NAV, and premium sound. It has 23,000 miles and I got it for $18,250. The car is absolutely amazing! It rides and drives like a dream. I've read some negative reviews about the interior being cheap. I disagree. Everything about the car exudes quality.
It's not a fast car, but faster than my 2004 Jetta and pickup truck. Acceleration is not what I bought this car for. I bought a Corvette for that.
After reading in the forums, I know I'm about to get flamed by the purists that these numbers are inaccurate and don't count. I'm going to share anyway as I want to see if this is what other members are seeing on fuel economy.
On the drive home, I reset the trip computer fuel economy average. Yes, I'm well aware that does not give me a tank of fuel average, but only an average for that distance. I believe the distance was fair enough to not skew the data. From Toledo to an hour past Detroit, I averaged 56 MPG with the cruise set at 75 MPH, no AC, and one minor traffic jam.
The ride to work this morning (mix of highway and city) yielded an average of 47 MPG.
These numbers are amazing to me. I was not "hyper-miling" as I don't know what that is or how to do it.
Congrats. I have the same car, except a 2012. I'm very happy with it.

I don't go by the MFI quote of mileage. I find that it tends to claim higher numbers than I think I am really getting. Instead, I use the iPhone app RoadTrip (www.darrensoft.ca/roadtrip/). Over time, it gives me a very accurate picture of my fuel consumption, patterns, and operating expenses.

We will see what happens when VW installs their fix next year. Since I've used RoadTrip since mile 1, I will be able to measure the impact within a couple of months.

You will love the trunk space. Your friends and family will love the rear seat space. You wallet will love the fuel savings. Your butt will love getting from point A to point B quickly and comfortably.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Holy crap! At that price, I'd buy five if I could. Can't imagine Dead-Broke paying even less. Someone else's panic is your gain, I'd say. Welcome!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I don't go by the MFI quote of mileage. I find that it tends to claim higher numbers than I think I am really getting. Instead, I use the iPhone app RoadTrip (www.darrensoft.ca/roadtrip/). Over time, it gives me a very accurate picture of my fuel consumption, patterns, and operating expenses.

With VCDS you can make the MFD fairly accurate. I've tweaked mine and right now it's slightly low, so I need to bring it back up a hair. It will show 37 for the tank but my Fuelly tracking will show over 38. It would be interesting if the car maintained a running total since new buried somewhere in the CANBUS and compare it to what I have recorded. Mine had a couple hundred miles on it when I bought it (it came from a different dealer), but I have it all since I drove it home.

Heavy_D

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Thanks

Thanks to all for your kind words!

I will be checking calculated fuel economy and reporting back. I just filled up and reset the trip odo.

Regardless of the fuel economy it is a great car! An adult can fit in the back seat comfortably! I haven't seen a car like that since the 1970's. The trunk is cavernous. You could fit people in there!

I love this car so much, I may dump the Jetta and get another if I run across a better deal.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
Holy crap! At that price, I'd buy five if I could. Can't imagine Dead-Broke paying even less. Someone else's panic is your gain, I'd say. Welcome!

AGREED Wow welcome to the forums and if you want to polite the asir as much as power plants check out Malone Tuning .......;)

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Thanks to all for your kind words!
I will be checking calculated fuel economy and reporting back. I just filled up and reset the trip odo.
Regardless of the fuel economy it is a great car! An adult can fit in the back seat comfortably! I haven't seen a car like that since the 1970's. The trunk is cavernous. You could fit people in there!
I love this car so much, I may dump the Jetta and get another if I run across a better deal.
In the words of Mitch Weaver (Dirty Work - 1988) "You can fit 3 dead hookers in that trunk!".:)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Welcome to TDI Club! We are only two years into our first diesel, and we really like the car.
(And I agree with "rustycat." You are a refreshing read after a certain other thread, currently at 9200 posts.....)

riddleyo

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Good morning all,
I just bought into the emissions panic and got a great deal on a 2104 Passat TDI SE with sunroof, NAV, and premium sound.
Wow a 2104 Passat. Does it fly? Pics or it didn't happen.

Congrats btw!

After reading in the forums, I know I'm about to get flamed by the purists
You know what they say about assuming...