www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 11th, 2015, 20:59   #1
INISLDR

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47-49
Default hacked odometer

Well I had my MK4 up for sale and the buyer pulled a carfax. Apparently the PO had rolled back 100K off the odometer. Is there anyway to verify this? Could the carfax be mistaken?
Old June 11th, 2015, 22:06   #2
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Thr Carfax could be mistaken, all it takes is one of the reporting shops to have a Freudian slip and BAM there's an extra 100k miles. Is there a big jump in odometer readings in a short period of time? Also some states, like Michigan, don't report mileage on a vehicle over ten years old. The slot is simply blank.

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 22:11   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Find somebody with VCDS. Your mileage is stored in the instrument panel and in the ECU. VCDS can read the ECU mileage and you can compare it to the instrument panel. If they are the same, your odometer has not been rolled back. If they are different, it could be several things, but if it is off by 100k miles, somebody rolled the odometer back by 100k.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 22:25   #4
Wankel7
Veteran Member

Can you alter ECU mileage?

Wouldn't you need a VagTacho to alter cluster miles?
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available
Wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 22:46   #5
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel7 View Post
Can you alter ECU mileage?
Anything can be hacked (altered). However, changing the mileage in the ECU would require different tools and different knowledge than just the instrument panel. Therefore it is unlikely (but not impossible) that they bothered to change both locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel7 View Post
Wouldn't you need a VagTacho to alter cluster miles?
Yes, or some other similar tool. I have no idea what kinds of nefarious tools are out there for chop shops and other automotive bottom feeders.

Have Fun!

Don

Old June 12th, 2015, 04:33   #6
INISLDR

Unless of. Course somebody swapped out the dash and the ecu from the same car. Then they would match. I guess I would need to see the report.
Old June 12th, 2015, 05:31   #7
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

Carfax can be wrong.

Recently I got interested in a Corolla for sale at a dealer. Went in, and there was a big discrepancy between what their computer said and what the odo said. No biggie, and walked on the car due to price. Later I checked their website, and the error still existed. And Carfax took note of that, listing a discrepancy.

Two weeks later, the discrepancy was fixed at Carfax and the dealer.

Speaking of which, I once claimed an accident on my Jetta. Minor accident, no police report. But an insurance payout. Not listed on the Carfax for my car. I don't think the dates for when I got emissions testing lined up properly either on their list.

Not saying I'd ignore a Carfax, just that it's easy to goof.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:00   #8
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Probably easier to hack CarFax than the cluster.
I bought a 2003 Jetta 1.8T wagon w/124K miles on it. CarFax shows dealer maintained regularly. Dealer has no records of ever having the car in the shop, or any of their branches other than front fender and rear hatch replacement under corrosion recall.
Question is, is the VW service dept wrong or has the independent low life seller/dealer fabricated an elaborate CarFax report??
I don't put much faith in CarFax.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:36   #9
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettawreck View Post
Probably easier to hack CarFax than the cluster...................
I don't put much faith in CarFax.
smart
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 13:17   #10
fxk
Veteran Member

BMW also stores the mileage in a second place - the Lighting Control Module.
The odometer shows a dot in the lower left corner of the odometer if there is a discrepancy of the two.
That also means that if you have the instrument cluster out of the car (for repair) and one drives it x miles, the dot will show up. Basically, no one will touch the car with the dot showing.
Does VW have a similar "alerting" system?
frank
fxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 15:50   #11
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1175 record tank

ecu if original will show true. cluster may have been changed out with no on the wiser an owner ago or previous owner not revealing. a cluster swap needs a dealer to make it work i think due to immobilizer. i can sell you a 134k cluster if you want even less miles:.)
Old June 12th, 2015, 16:04   #12
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

OK here's a slightly relevant question, if someone runs 5000 miles on the non original ECU, does that 5000 miles get "burned" onto the original ECU when it is re installed? I'm asking about the issues swapping ECU's with different tunes could cause in regards to mileageon the odometer/ecu...
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 16:20   #13
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure that each ECU keeps it's own data, it does not get it from the cluster or anywhere else in the car. Therefore any replacement of either ECU or Instrument cluster will cause the 2 to disagree about mileage. The only exception I am aware of to this rule is a new cluster. A new cluster can have the mileage set to whatever you want (or need), but this only works for clusters with under 100km (IIRC) on the odometer.

Have Fun!

Don

Old June 12th, 2015, 16:36   #14
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Seems the VAG Tacho shows Kilometers ,,,, I do remember seeing like 120k more on a 2002 Jetta Gasser that I was helping with key programming. Then I noticed the number was in Kilometer as opposed to miles...

Just saying!
Old June 12th, 2015, 18:25   #15
INISLDR

I am interested in searching the ecu for mileage info. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I have a VAG-COM cable and VCDS. Just need to know where to look...

Also after looking at the Carfax it appears that the owner before me rolled back the odo 100k. They only owned it for 4 months and they had it smogged right before they sold it to me. I'm actually surprised at the condition of the car for almost 300k miles. Very simple and robust vehicle. Of course now I have to deal with this mess trying to sell it because I cannot pass on the lie to the next buyer.

I would also like to roll the odo forward ( if possible ) to the correct reading if I can in fact pull the mileage from the ecu...

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Last edited by INISLDR; June 12th, 2015 at 19:21.
INISLDR is offline   Reply With Quote