www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 4th, 2014, 04:53   #1
50harleyrider
Veteran Member
Default ALH engine swap-things to do while it's out

Got what appears to be a good engine out of an '01 250k donor. I drove it home 350 miles and it has plenty of power. It's an automatic and some motor oil is dripping out of it-appears to be main seal. Here's my path forward and wanted comments/recommendations: Flywheel is coming off as it's going in a manual car so I plan a rear main seal, oil pan reseal, check rod bearings,check cam and lifters. Is there anything else I should do or look for? Maybe oil pump? TB is only 5k old and looks great but unfortunately I don't know if the water pump was replaced. Quarter of a million miles concerns me so I'm a little antsy. It didn't use any oil or coolant and the head gasket isn't seeping. Don't see any other seeps.

Last edited by 50harleyrider; November 4th, 2014 at 04:56.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:04   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

At that mileage, if you are going to do the timing belt and water pump and oil pan reseal anyways, go ahead and replace the oil pump chain and tensioner. It is quick and easy at that point.

You'll just need a front crank seal, crank bolt (one-time use), the chain, and tensioner. It is right under the front sealing flange.

The rear crankshaft seal will be integral with the flange.

I'd not worry about the cam and lifters myself, beyond just a quick visual peak. And I certainly wouldn't mess with the actual oil pump itself, or any of the bearings.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:11   #3
Kraiger
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 45mpg Jetta, 65mpg Cruze....oopps

I second oilhammer. but just my .02 is for the price of a stock cam and lifters from idparts, id replace them. I mean the timing belt will already be loose and then you will not have any worries for at least 100k.
Lima, OH VCDS/TDI service.
Kraiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:50   #4
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

Is there any way to inspect the water pump to see if there are any signs it may be fairly new? I hadn't planned on wp replacement if I didn't have to. I figured with only 5k on the new tb, wp was replaced then too. Maybe a risky assumption?
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:19   #5
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

A visual inspection of the WP is a good idea. A new pump 5K ago should still look pretty new. More than half of pumps I change during TB jobs are leaking at least a little through their weep hole.

Then again, with the engine out a TB job sure would be easy.

With the age and mileage, I would consider an IP pump reseal while it is out too. Even pumps that are not leaking fuel externally can leak air into the pump allowing a loss of prime in extreme cases.

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 19:33   #6
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

Thanks all-great advice.
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:01   #7
CourierGuy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57.65/41.70/32.76; 80%+ City mileage

Im a fan of changing the motor mounts... while an engine is all the way out. Nice suddle improvement.
GOLF:OMI, BV39@22psi, 2.5" Plumbing, 4Slice Toaster SMIC, Kerma IM, P&P Head, Colt Stage2, DLC1019s, Buzzken 2.5 Exhaust, Malone Stg4, Custom Oil Catch Can, Shine Springs/RSB, Koni FSBs, TT LCAs, SB Stg3 Endurance, Peloquin LSD, TT SS, Evo skidplate, 205/65r15, GLI Leathers, Boost/EGT/Oil PSI/temp gauges, mild ice, !DRL/EGR/IC Vent Grill. GOLF(Winter car): UNITronic tune, .216s A Corolla story for every day
CourierGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 17:52   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

I agree with Oilhammer about the bearings... if you inspect, you're going to need new bolts. Many ALH engines are pushing toward 500k miles with the OE rod bearings!

Only 5k miles on the water pump, I'd not worry about it at all! Of course, you are there, take a look for a leak!.......... seriously doubt you will see any evidence of a leak!

Once the engine is ready to set in, I'd pressure wash it!
Old November 6th, 2014, 18:11   #9
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

I'd do as much engine work as is possible BEFORE pulling it from the donor. That way you won't be searching for a swap related issue when it could be a replacement related issue. Keep it simple and get the replacement stuff done and sorted while it's still drivable as an auto, then you'll be able to eliminate any engine internal components when you sort out a post-swap issue.
Yeah, the rear main and other stuff should be done during the swap, but stuff at the other end of the crank should be done now before yanking it out.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote