2014 BMW 328d Sedan A 3-series BMW with VW Jetta TDI Fuel Economy?

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
BMW confirms new Diesels for US market

Saw this last night. Including wagon!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766377

• F30 3 Series sedan diesel - first half 2013
• F31 3 Series touring - second half 2013
• F10 5 Series diesel - third quarter 2013
• X5d diesel - end of 2013
• 7 Series diesel - first half 2014
• X3d diesel - first half 2014

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW bringing more diesels

The two engines BMW will be bringing to our shores are a new 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel four and 3.0-liter turbo-diesel six. Our best guess is that the 3 Series, 5 Series and X3 will receive the smaller mill, estimated to produce roughly 255 horsepower and an unknown amount of torque. The 7 Series and X5 will likely rely on the larger 3.0-liter six for torque-tastic grunt. Expect eight-speed automatic transmissions to be on hand across the board, as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/06/future-us-bmw-diesel-plans-leaked/

If the X3 keeps the 8 speed auto and picks up the turbo 4 diesel I will have two of them.:D

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
BMW To Launch Six Diesel Models In Next Two Years

According to an article on GreenCarReports.com; First to hit the U.S. will be a diesel 3-Series sedan, arriving in the first half of 2013. A diesel 3-Series Sport Wagon will follow in the second half, and a 5-Series diesel in the third quarter of 2013.

Those will be joined by an X5 diesel in late 2013, and a 7-Series and X3 diesel in the first half of 2014.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080283_bmw-to-launch-six-diesel-models-in-next-two-years

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 2.0 is in Europe in the 3 and 5 series and makes 180/280, IIRC. Although I'd love to see both engines here in cars (not SUVs) I'm not holding my breath. Seems we've heard this before.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
The two engines BMW will be bringing to our shores are a new 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel four and 3.0-liter turbo-diesel six. Our best guess is that the 3 Series, 5 Series and X3 will receive the smaller mill, estimated to produce roughly 255 horsepower and an unknown amount of torque. The 7 Series and X5 will likely rely on the larger 3.0-liter six for torque-tastic grunt. Expect eight-speed automatic transmissions to be on hand across the board, as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/06/future-us-bmw-diesel-plans-leaked/

If the X3 keeps the 8 speed auto and picks up the turbo 4 diesel I will have two of them.:D
The info I've seen says the 3 sedan gets the 4, the 3 wagon and 5 sedan gets the 6 cyl. No way the 4 cyl will produce 255 hp. That is the output of the single turbo 6 cyl 3 liter.
I'm geeked about this :D

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
BMW Is About To Unleash Oodles Of Diesel Goodness On America

From Jalopnik:

BMW North America recently had a meeting to lay out some products that are earmarked for the United States through 2014, and thanks to a photo taken by a member of VW Vortex, it looks like a plethora of oil burners will be available for you fine folks.

The first two cars are 3-series based, and it includes a 3-series wagon. A 5-series diesel and X5d will follow soon after.
Now if only I had the money for a new bmw!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
They really need to bring a M1D with the m550D motor and smack the crap out of the diesel stereoype in the US. Offer it with a proper trans and I'd do bad things for that gem of engineering.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I won't let the lack of manual trans keep me from considering one. now just be able to afford one...

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
A 2.0L really is the right engine for the F30, either sedan or touring.

I had been hoping for the 535d to come along (although I'd love a 635d) so it looks like it may happen finally. If it does, then my 335d (has about 110,000km now...still rock solid) will take over from my trusty MkIV Jetta.

An 23d X3 would be a great vehicle too...VW should have made a 2.0TDI Tiggy.

Good to see BMW getting a larger diesel offering like M-B (and to a lesser degree VW...TDI CC would have rocked).

Cheers
D.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The two engines BMW will be bringing to our shores are a new 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel four and 3.0-liter turbo-diesel six. Our best guess is that the 3 Series, 5 Series and X3 will receive the smaller mill, estimated to produce roughly 255 horsepower and an unknown amount of torque.
255 horsepower for the four? Autoblog got that wrong, that would be the number for the single-turbo 3.0L six. The four makes around 180hp.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If it does, then my 335d (has about 110,000km now...still rock solid) will take over from my trusty MkIV Jetta.
Would like to talk about the 335d should it become for sale at some point (and my budget would allow for it at that time :) ).

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Would like to talk about the 335d should it become for sale at some point (and my budget would allow for it at that time :) ).
Depending on when(if?) the 535d comes out, the 335 may become available, TDIM. If it does, I'll definitely let you know. It's just so darn much fun though...it would be tough to let go... :D

Cheers
D.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm pumped about this:
BMW also plans to introduce three new diesel models to the U.S. in 2013, in addition to the highly successful BMW X5 35d, which reported a sales increase of 39% last year to over 10,000 vehicles (10,276). The 4-cylinder diesel will premiere in the 3 Series Sedan and Touring and the new 6-cylinder diesel will make its debut in the 5 Series. For the first time ever in the U.S., diesel AWD will be offered in the BMW 5 Series.
link

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
In regard to the small 4 banger in the 3 series sedan/wagon, any idea on some rough MPG numbers? Unless its over 40 on the highway, count me out, that's my new benchmark. Not just 40, OVER 40. I'm tired of this 40 MPG claim to only get 34 in the real world most car companies are making.

Now I need to research BMW it looks like. Is it a money pit or a reliable car for 200,000? :).

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No telling what the EPA ratings for the 320d will be, but using the Euro fuel economy numbers as a guide, it will equal the Passat tdi while providing more power and performance.

I am slightly concerned at this point about reliability of the 320d. An internet search on the N47 engine provides some concerning reports on timing chain issues.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
When I tested the then-new 335d a few years back I got 47 MPG on my mileage loop test and something around 45 MPG overall with the 6-cylinder diesel so I would expect the 4-cylinder to be 40+ MPG especially on the highway. It may suffer some in the city with less power to move the weight though...

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Oh, absolutely. My early 2008-built N47-powered 1-series has been perfectly reliable (134,000 km now), I have averaged 46 mpg over the last few tanks, with no hypermiling.

47 mpg out of a 335d is seriously astonishing. According to spritmonitor.de, the average German 335d driver gets 27.5 mpg....
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/6-BMW/37-3er.html?exactmodel=335d&powerunit=2

The average F30 320d driver gets:
Automatic: 37.2 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/6-BMW/37-3er.html?exactmodel=335d&powerunit=2

Manual: 40.1 mpg
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/ueber...r_e=184&gearing=1&exactmodel=320d&powerunit=2

Add a few mpg for no unlimited autobahns...

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I have heard of a few cases of failed chains in the 1-series forum I read. Most are from early N47s. Mine is an early N47, so I should listen to any chain noises I hear and maybe do a prophylactic chain change...

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
You know, there seems to be no middle ground with BMW vehicles, at least from my experience in the states. The feedback is either "it's been a nightmare of a car, one repair after another and the electrical system is a mess!", or "I've got 160,000 miles on my 3 series and never had one problem! It's been the most reliable car I've ever had".

I have never heard any middle ground type of replies. I like the 3 and 1 series and am very excited about a diesel in the 3, but I can't afford a car that starts out more expensive then say a loaded accord or mazda 6 that will also cost in repairs. Yes I'm aware you can't compare the driving experience of a Honda and a BMW, but I'm not a track guy or a speed demon. I want a nice car to commute and travel in with good power, great MPG's and above average reliability. I want to drive that car for 10+ years. What do I buy?!

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
Mazda diesel?
Funny you mention that car as it is at the top of my list.....BUT......I don't know if they have fixed the chronic rust issues. I realize there is no perfect car, and I realize things break. I am much more understanding of a flawed alternator, ball joint, something I can fix myself or have a mechanic fix for a reasonable fee. When I have to factor in body work that I cannot do and can cost a small fortune, it raises a big red flag. I have never owned nor had any family own mazdas. I LOVE the look of the new Mazda 6 and I live in Missouri so salted roads in my area isn't a major concern. I would suspect rust wouldn't be a major problem, but I think most buyers Thot that only to find rust bubbles 2 years into a new car. That's a deal breaker for me. I guess I've gotten spoiled with my 97 Honda. 235,000 miles and hardly any issues and those small issues only popped up as I got closer to 200,000 miles. Funny thing is, I don't want another Honda. Lmao. Decisions, decisions.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
Plus it's a first year model with a LOT of new technology......am I willing to be a guinie pig?