Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
No, however you could modify the fuse/ safety part (forgot its name) to constantly supply power, however i would worry about doing this because:
(sorted by :eek: danger level as follows)

A. what if a coin or something similar were to fall into it- it might(however-unlikely...) Fry something VERY expensive in the Central Electronics Control Module instead of just blowing a fuse!:eek::eek::eek:

C. if you did this and a dealer CAUGHT you... kiss your warranty's a** goodbye:eek::eek:

B. it could allow a vampire load to kill your battery if you were to forget to unplug something:eek:(oops)

D. taking the tiny thing apart is also a ROYAL PITA!:(

Conclusion: so ask yourself is the 5-30 minutes of work really worth all the risks for such a tiny gain... it is your car NOT mine so think about what you are doing some before you do this mod...
Thanks for you answer sir and I will not be doing it. I did let VW know it was strange at least one port wasnt left on.

Learning about TDI's.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is a jumper mod that will enable the power sockets all the time.

Read this DIY thread and skip the part about modifying the relay and read the part about using just a jumper instead of the relay. 5 minutes tops and it is fused for those that can't keep their spare change out of the socket. Replace the relay whenever you feel the need. Don't leave things plugged in.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383356&highlight=12+socket

idesi1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My MFD show the current speed in km not miles. Is there a way to change it thru vcds?

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
My MFD show the current speed in km not miles. Is there a way to change it thru vcds?
You can change through the MFD, go to the settings menu that shows language, lights, ex... scroll down to units and change it to US,miles.

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
If you have a 12 it will not show up? I just had a DSG flash Malones Andrew and Mark are researching why? But the flash is incredible?

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
Yes, but it requires a DSG tune.

In drive it will display D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6

In sport it will display S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

In manual it will display 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Just had mine done 12 TDI Passat did not show up Mark and Andrew are researching why on my TDI it did not show up anyone else has a 12 TDI if its in your display please post to TDI club

diesel55

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I have a DTS cd collection that my old Acura MDX played, but my new SEL Premium will not. Any suggestions?

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
I have a DTS cd collection that my old Acura MDX played, but my new SEL Premium will not. Any suggestions?
You're SOL. Find software to convert to one of the formats accepted by the RNS-510.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Hi, I activated navigation voice command control via VCDS few weeks ago, but couldn't figure out why I can't "speak" to nav system with the button on the steering wheel. I was only able to voice control the nav system with the start button next to cd insert.
Did some research and found a 2 yr old thread in vwnavi forum. If you just go in VCDS, under telephone77, coding, long code helper, byte 1 bit 0, to turn on "Voice Operation inactive".
I tried afterwards and it works! Now I can control nav directly from steering wheel.
I don't recall seeing this instruction in this thread, hope it's not duplicated.
Thank you for reading.
I just wanted to do an update on this.

After the VCDS change, I realized the name recognition was awful. It couldn't recognize any names I speak. So I switched back to the default setting.

After the 4366 firmware update, i noticed the name recognition is much better, at least it understands what I speak.

For those who are wondering what I am talking about....

By default, the microphone button on steering wheel only controls bluetooth phone functions, and if you activated voice control on your RNS510 via VCDS, the star button (next to eject) will activate voice mode on the RNS510. If you do the VCDS tweak in my original post, you can control the RNS510 directly from your steering wheel (phone, nav, media, radio... etc)

DeadCatBounce

TDI
2013 SEL Passat TDI
After lurking around here for several months I just picked up a VCDS to use with my ’13 SEL Passat. I’ve made a number of the adjustments suggested around here but I’ve gotten stuck on a couple of the modifications and I’m hoping you guys can set me straight.

I’ve enabled the window/sunroof rain closure feature. It’s activated in the instrument cluster display. But while the windows close as expected, the sunroof always stops 2 inches short of full closure. This happens regardless of how wide open it was to begin with. Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

Also, the sound quality for anyone on the other end of a phone call from the car is terrible. In the Control Module I’ve gone into 77 – Telephone, then Adaption to enable the Developer Mode, as suggested. But I can’t find where to make the adjustments for voice and noise sensitivity. What’s my next step?

Can someone walk me through linking the heated side mirrors to the rear defroster?

Finally, my instrument cluster is a KOMBI H07 0705. I’ve read that this unit is capable of doing an instrument sweep on start up. But when I go into 17- Instruments... Adaptation...Staging and select Indicator Celebration, I get the following message: ERROR: Channel Not Available. Am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks for your help.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Maybe you need to train the sunroof on full open and close like the power windows adaption - open it fully and hold the knob for 2-3 seconds when it gets open. Repeat for close, hold for 2-3 seconds when closed to teach the roof the limits. I set mine for slide instead of tilt, and works fine.
As far as the BT mic, no problem here, but I read a post where the OP turned the mic upside down and improved its performance 100%. Something to try. It's under the little speaker grill looking cover that simply pries off in the overhead console.
Haven't done the mirror and rear window defroster - not much need to do that one!

As far as the staging - I have the 507 and get the same message. In other posts, the 705 was the one to do the staging. Interesting discovery. SOL is not a good place to be.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Norm, Question.

Playing in VCDS last night making several changes, one I wanted to make was to change the Footwell light output, and decrease it a bit.

In Module #9, Adaption 27, I decreased the output to 50%. That only affects the level that the footwells are at when you open the doors. The adaption even says that. I think I misunderstood your post that it might affect the output anytime they were on. I was hoping at least!

hudsonian

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Highline TDI
So I got the cable today from Ross tech. I did the heated seats and the rain sensor no problem, however when I did the window and roof auto close by the rain sensor other strange things happened and now it looks like the window lock button light will not go out (the button is pushed to stop the kids using the rear windows) once the car is locked.

I have a 2013 passat highline (sel?) when in VCDS bite 4 am I right to think that only bit 3 is ticked if you don't want this feature (I think I ticked bit 4,5,6 and 7 to turn it on but I am not sure)? When I turned the feature on I made it look like the instructional photograph however when it was all ticked the lock unlock feature by touching the door handle stopped working and the car alarm recognition bleep went twice as loud.

So the question, to restore VCDS back to how it was am I right that only bit 3 is checked, and why won't the light in my window button to disarm the rear windows go out when the car is turned off and locked, or is this normal?

hudsonian

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Highline TDI
PLEASE HELP - I read a post somewhere (and I have searched for hours trying to find it again without success) where the Ross Tech software keeps a log of changes made. I want to double check the change I made last night that has resulted in the above post, where do I find this log?

I did keep a screen grab of the long code before I made the change, if I type this back in will it revert all my settings to what they where from the factory?

hudsonian

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Highline TDI
taking an autoscan before making any changes is how one can do this
Matt, I did take an autoscan, so that has the long code, I also screen grabbed the long code. the question becomes, how do I use it, do I just type it into the module and it resets back to where it was? Your xpertiese on how to use it to reset would be welcome.

kruppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I Have read all posts in this thread in addition to doing a number of searches and have done a majority of these mods, but still looking to find a few or know if they're possible.

Speed Threshold for MFD Settings Menu - To change setting while moving? Found the one for the Nav unit message but not this one.

TearDrop front windsheild wiping - I have found a few posts for older cars but they don't seem to be in the longcode for the 2013 passat SEL, anyone find that?

Someone had mentioned seeing boost pressure in the MFD, is this possible? or seeing any other engine info like battery voltage, digital water temp, oil temp, oil level, other fluid levels, etc?

Like the idea of having homelink stay on for a minute or so after turning off (even just before opening door)

Can you make the floor lights adjust by an amount smaller then 10%?

Still waiting for the windows up/down via key fob to be found! Can't believe they did away with that one

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I've been looking for a way to turn off that annoying ding when the outside temp drops to 39.....

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I've been looking for a way to turn off that annoying ding when the outside temp drops to 39.....
*****ing Betty can be disabled by setting instrument cluster long coding to Australian(insert joke here)
but then you lose ALL nag beeps so you win some you lose some...

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
@Matt, are you saying that Australian will also get rid of the seat belt nag? That would be great as I don't need to be reminded to put mine on, I just don't do it prior to starting the engine most times.

Solved this one in my old B4 by pulling the relay that had the "la cucaracha" chime in it. I suspected that the NMS would not be this simple.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
@Matt, are you saying that Australian will also get rid of the seat belt nag? That would be great as I don't need to be reminded to put mine on, I just don't do it prior to starting the engine most times.
I am 95% sure that it would disable seat belt chimes but I am not totally sure as I have never actually run AU coding for an extended period of time

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I love my "la cucaracha" chime! Of course it has good manners and only goes for a moment the very first time the car starts, not every 30 seconds forever / as soon as I take my seat belt off at home while I'm letting my turbo cool off....

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
*****ing Betty can be disabled by setting instrument cluster long coding to Australian(insert joke here)
but then you lose ALL nag beeps so you win some you lose some...

Thanks for the advice, I'm willing to give this a shot. Forgive me for being rather new at this, how would I change the coding? Please type slow so I can understand :D Seriously though, what are the steps to changing this?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the advice, I'm willing to give this a shot. Forgive me for being rather new at this, how would I change the coding? Please type slow so I can understand :D Seriously though, what are the steps to changing this?
Select control module
17- instruments
Long coding
go to country setting dropdown box in log coding helper
change from USA to AU in box
hit ESC key on PC
hit DO IT
Done
exit VCDS

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Select control module
17- instruments
Long coding
go to country setting dropdown box in log coding helper
change from USA to AU in box
hit ESC key on PC
hit DO IT
Done
exit VCDS
Thanks for the info, just changed the settings on my car. Hopefully this will be less annoying :)

I'm not sure why, but my car has begun to ding again. I have the Australia coding. Should I have left the units displayed for fuel economy alone? After switching to Australia it changed them to metric, but I switched them back. Not sure if that would have made a difference or not.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
PLEASE HELP - I read a post somewhere (and I have searched for hours trying to find it again without success) where the Ross Tech software keeps a log of changes made. I want to double check the change I made last night that has resulted in the above post, where do I find this log?

I did keep a screen grab of the long code before I made the change, if I type this back in will it revert all my settings to what they where from the factory?
There is a file in the Ross-Tech folder. Look in C:\ross-tech\vcds\debug\codinglog.txt

C:\ being whatever drive your vcds is installed on. There is a running log of all changes made to each module with date and time and what the long coding was and what it was changed to. there is a similar one for adpations - adplog.txt in the same debug folder.