www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old September 6th, 2010, 18:01   #1
Jetta18T

Default Raleigh to Asheville, NC

Hi all,

I've been in the looking in the background here for awhile, and am proud to be a newly converted 2010 TDI owner as of last week (Jetta Sedan, 6 Spd, Candy white, black interior...I'll get pictures up soon!)

I'll be taking my first road trip next weekend from Raleigh, NC to Asheville, NC. I should be able to post mileage when I get back. Anybody recommend taking a trip on the Blue Ridge Pkwy while I'm out there? I've heard good things.
Jetta18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 20:21   #2
tcp_ip_dude
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46@75mph/51@60mph/City 38mpg

The BRP is awesome IMO, driven the NC sections many many times, driven the whole length twice (Cherokee NC to Shenandoah VA) on motorcyle. Keep in mind the max speed is 45mph (35 in some places), it is Federal jurisdiction so if you get caught speeding the fines are very high and can even land you in jail if too excessive or considered reckless. The roads are very serpentine (i.e. fun twisty's) so the distances can be a little deceiving when viewing/planning on a map (i.e. much longer travel time than you think), you also will run into a lot of traffic during leaf season (personally I avoid the parkway during this time, although it is gorgeous at peak color).
Old September 11th, 2010, 18:42   #3
Jetta18T

Thanks, appreciate the update! I was planning on taking a cruise on this while I'm out there. Hopefully it is just as amazing as everybody makes it out to be.
Jetta18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:58   #4
skinnyb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 JSW TDI
Fuel Economy: Slightly north of 40 MPG

I have lived in Asheville all my life. The BRP is absolutely amazing. Right thru town there is what they call the commuter stretch which can link different major highways in Asheville. I use it frequently to get from one part of town to another as an alternative to the highway. Very beautiful, but as said above, you can't be in a hurry and watch out for rubber neckers and bicycles. I have rounded a bend many times and about run all over a group of cyclists..

As far as fuel mileage, you will get slightly better mileage on the way back generally as you will be climbing coming into Asheville and going more down hill on the way back. When you are almost there (on I-40 that is) you will hit Old Fort Mountain. Lots of fun in a TDI. Several miles and fun with the diesel torque, but bad for fuel economy...
Old September 13th, 2010, 21:39   #5
Aquaticmind
Veteran Member

Location: Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is. Wa, via Carbondale IL, via Asheville NC
Fuel Economy: good

Take the BRP and enjoy the drive. Just watch out for folks on bikes. It's a really popular place for people to ride, just make sure you share the road. North of AVL will take you to Craggy Mnt, then on to Mt Mitchell, south is pretty and will take you into some beautifully views also.

Aquaticmind is offline   Reply With Quote