www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 6th, 2020, 14:44   #1
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Default Upper intercooler to hard pipe hose (BEW)

Recently my MKIV BEW has started to put out black smoke under 1/2 throttle to WOT and power has seemed slightly off above 3k RPM which isn't normal for the car. Scanned with vag-com and no codes. I checked all the intercooler plumbing as recommended here and found that the connection of the short collared c-clip hose that goes from the top of the intercooler to the hard pipe (just below the right headlight) is loose and probably the cause for the black smoke and slight loss of power (the other connections are tight).

I went to find a new one online and I can only find the hose that connect the pancake pipe to the lower intercooler inlet (https://www.idparts.com/lower-interc...07-p-6178.html). It looks almost identical to what's on the upper portion of the intercooler. I just want to make sure that my thinking is correct before buying or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2020, 14:52   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Message IDparts and they will answer your questions the best

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, Bosio DLC 1019's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 14:58   #3
drucifer
Veteran Member

The connectors on both ends of the intercooler are the same. I went through this when mine needed replacing. Just call IDparts to verify. That's where I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 15:08   #4
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

I will do that. Thank you gentleman!
Old June 7th, 2020, 04:35   #5
mjydrafter
Veteran Member

Don't replace that expensive hose! Get (or make) a "doggie collar" and motor on.
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2020, 05:51   #6
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

i grind the worn tabs flat, drill a small hole dead center of where the tabs used to reside and thread in a small allen bolt (around m3?, no tap required) . Then with a dremel or flap disc I reshape the allen head to emulate the previous ramp shape and height...this fix is just a few pennies, lasts forever, and let's you remove the pipe easily.

Last edited by jimbote; June 8th, 2020 at 01:53.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2020, 07:14   #7
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Follow-up/resolution: I heard back from ID Parts and indeed the lower pancake pipe to intercooler hose is the same as the upper intercooler to hard pipe hose.
Old June 10th, 2020, 13:43   #8
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcrnch View Post
Follow-up/resolution: I heard back from ID Parts and indeed the lower pancake pipe to intercooler hose is the same as the upper intercooler to hard pipe hose.
ah, i misread your post, thought it was the hose by the intake...never seen the short one by the intercooler fail.