Help needed 11mm pump

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Hi guys I was going to install my 11mm pump today but noticed a couple issues with it. First off, I can only rotate the shaft by hand a quarter turn each way. Second issue, there is no nut on the shaft so I can’t even try turning it with a wrench. Not sure what to think about these things. Before I go any further I’d like some opinions. Thanks

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It is normal to only turn it 1/4 of a turn at a time, as you are pushing past springs for each injection stroke.

If the nut is missing, send the pump out to get rebuilt, you need to follow a strict procedure to time the pump correctly to the sprocket bracket.

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon

That sucks to hear. It doesn’t look like it moved but I’m certainly not taking any chances. So basically this pump is junk as is.

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Also, I wasn’t able to rotate the sprocket bracket far enough to get the lock pin in. It’s hard to see in the picture but the hole is off by like an 1/8th inch.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well someone did do a thread on pump alignment, off car. I took a quick look, but all the old posts have dead photo links (folks refuse to learn pics.tdiclub). If it's a known Good Pump it may be worth the effort.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Also, I wasn’t able to rotate the sprocket bracket far enough to get the lock pin in. It’s hard to see in the picture but the hole is off by like an 1/8th inch.
That's normal. I'd look at getting it rebuilt, DFIS usually can do it in the range of $650, and then it'd be good to go for a long time, so long as you run good fuel in it.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
My personal opinion is to throw a nut back on it and see what happens. Its normal for it to be hard to turn at the lock position because the cam plate is fully on cam that that position. With a nut on it, you should be able to use a wrench to move it.

If the pulley isn't popped off the shaft then there is a good chance the timing is still correct.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If that sprocket flange moved, which Would mean it had to come loose from the Morse taper, it would only affect static timing by having the slot in the flange not correspond with the hole in the casting where the pin is inserted. Won’t affect pump operation. You can put it in and try it, worse that can happen is it won’t start if the flange did move

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Also stick it in a vise and fill it with diesel purge. Then rotate by the nut after it is torqued, if it is gummed up you will feel it loosen and smooth out. As mentioned above, it will take some force to rotate it past the spring pressure on the camplate. And watch your eyes and such as it spits out fluid from the fittings on the head

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
SO the hub is still stuck to the shaft.
You just need a nut right?
Even with a sprocket on there it should be easy enough to turn it all the way around.
Would suck to break the hub loose from the shaft,.. since no one seems to know how to put it back to it's original place using a dial gauge.

When it's dry inside it can be hard to turn.
If it was filled with diesel it would turn easier.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Just the fact the the flange is still attached makes me think it was never removed. If it had been it would be with the nut..

Also it appears to be sitting in about the right place. The notch is a little before the hole. Otherwise known as the sucker hole position.

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Thanks for all the responses. I’m currently waiting for a response from the seller before I decide to continue. Where can I source a washer and nut?

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
At this point I’ve decided to move on from this pump. I bought this thinking it would be a simple swap. But I feel It’s too risky to blindly install as I rely on this car daily and I can’t have any down time.

Last edited:

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I think so too.
Find a nut. Dealership should be able to find a nut and washer for you
that's not too spendy.
Torque it down.
And see if you can turn it by hand with the sprocket on.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you don't want to use the nut you have maybe you could grab one in a pick & pull or order it from VW.

I would be inclined not to remove the nut and get a new one.

With the tapered shaft and gear it should be as tight as the cam gear.