www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 18:52   #1
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)
Default Requiescat in Pace, John Jackson

Thanks to Facebook algorithms, I did not see this until many days after the fact. But friend and regular here on TDIClub, John Jackson, has passed away.

Early on in my foray into business as a mobile TDI repair technician here in California, John had me come to his house and stay while I repaired and upgraded his old B4 Passat a few times. He also even made it to the occasional, and now defunct but legendary Bay Area GTGs.

Never shy of sharing his opinion and straightforward, but also gracious, I appreciated the man a lot. More than I ever told him.

This now has me thinking back to when I did the Eurotuning 6 speed conversion on his B4V along with the shift linkage upgrade, almost think he was happier with the shift linkage improvement than he was the 6 speed. Always a joy to see someone pleasantly surprised at how much more enjoyable their car was just made with help from my work. But that's besides the point.

Most memorable to me was after we completed the test drive, he asked if I wanted a beer. We stopped at a brewpub not far from his house and had a couple, took a growler to go. Unbeknownst to me, he was ignoring his cell phone, apparently his equally fiery wife Anita had been repeatedly trying to get ahold of him so she could plan dinner accordingly.

That didn't go over so well... we both got kicked out of the house that night... The growler then also got consumed at the hotel between us and generally just enjoyed the conversation.

John was a good man and I will certainly miss him and the memory of that trip in particular will always stand out in my mind. Maybe it's a little too much to share and not exactly the proudest moment for either of us I'm sure, but it's just what stands out the most to me. I enjoyed his company.

Requiescat in Pace, John.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 19:09   #2
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I am very sad to hear this news. I had the pleasure to meet John at a number of TDIFests and share a room with him at TDIFest 2013 in Maine. I echo everything you said about John. He was exceptionally friendly, gracious, generous, and man -- did he love his B4V and TDIClub.

My sincere condolences to Anita, whom I only heard by name but felt I knew much better from the many times John mentioned her.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2020, 19:35   #3
deegingerkid
Beware the Ginger! Vendor

Fuel Economy: 38-44 depending on lead-footed-ness and highway/city proportion

I too was a victim of the crap FB algorithm and didn't see this until today. All the times I met John, he was the best. I too am a fiery personality and I think he liked that. He has been so good to Matt and everyone in the TDI community. He will be greatly missed.

</3
deegingerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2020, 20:09   #4
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fair winds on your next journey, John.
Old June 4th, 2020, 06:28   #5
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Shoot, this is sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting John, but felt like I knew him from his many posts. There are a handful or two of members whose thoughtful posts pull me into threads magnetically. He was one of them. R.I.P. John, you are missed.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2020, 16:21   #6
temporaptor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 MPG

Rest In Peace John. He was a great guy, the best! I have many great memories of John. He helped organize many TDI get togethers and maintained a great sense of humor. Prayers go out to his family.
SSBMWO 2012 X5 xdrive35d
15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Z71 LML - Duramaxtuner
temporaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2020, 17:29   #7
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Such sad news. I remember John making the cross country trek to a few Fests. He will be missed.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2020, 17:48   #8
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Surprising and sad news. John and I shared some B4 stories (and issues), and we met in Maine and Sturgeon Bay at the last Fest. I like to deceive myself by thinking time isn't marching on, but news like this shows it is. Diesel on, John.
Old June 5th, 2020, 15:21   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

I will miss my fellow Corvair enthusiast's passion for those oldies, among other things.
Godspeed, John.
Old June 5th, 2020, 17:50   #10
kooyajerms
grocery getter

John was a good friend. We setup many a GTG back in the day to do what we could to build up the SoCal TDI community. We even spent many hours together in the middle of the night traveling to other folks GTGs. It was definitely nice to have another b4 owner who liked to spend silly money on these old things.

I remember the first time we met and touched our white bumpers together to make a trade. Drove up from San Diego to deliver a trailer hitch and try out an Alligator Tune.

Once he let go of his B4V to continue to drive his Volt, we lost touch. I never did get a chance to see that Comanche. I do blame him not getting an iPhone and joining our local group iMessage texts. Damn MMS =P
I'm glad he got to meet my son one in one of the last GTG's for the SoCal tdiclub members.

You will be missed John Jackson.

kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 20:02   #11
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Sad to read. While I never met John, he was always a trusted source for B4 info. May he rest in peace.
\
Old June 7th, 2020, 04:31   #12
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

That is too bad, I enjoyed John's conversation and knowledge on here. I met him once when he showed up at my house prior to a Fest here in Maine (2013 or 2015). I was able to help him with some minor issues he had on his B4V, which made me feel like a rockstar because there is little John didn't know about them. I am sorry for his passing.

I miss all the old crew from the B4 board. Time certainly is marching on. Rest is peace, John, you did a lot of good in this world and I am appreciative for the part I witnessed.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2020, 04:45   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

There aren't a lot of B4s left around, nor people like John who were willing to invest in and preserve what is a unique vehicle. Folks move on, although newer cars aren't necessarily better, as many learn.
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:00   #14
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

John's B4V lives on in good hands, it is in the rust belt, however.

Matt Whitbread has had it for a couple years now.
Old June 7th, 2020, 18:50   #15
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

Very sorry to hear......too much of great people Passing lately...got to meet on several occasions! Great guy RIP!
Sadly......this site has a Gone but not Forgoten Page.....But it is not maintained...l
I volunteered......but nothing ever came of it....lots of us been here 20+ years and getting older and the inevitable does happen......
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!

Last edited by tomo366; June 12th, 2020 at 10:48.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote