www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 30th, 2020, 17:06   #1
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Default Ď14 Passat wierd issues no start 2 days later no drive

Drove my Ď14 sel Premium to work today, everything was fine. Locked the car with kessy, worked for 7.5 hours, come out to the car, unlock the door with kessy, put all the windows down with the driver front window switch (it didnít tilt the sunroof). Try to put it in accessory mode, nothing. The cluster is dark, not showing the door open/mileage/etc. go get a jump box to check voltage/jump it. Hook the jump box up, battery shows 12.7 volts (it was replaced Oct Ď17). Still nothing. Try swapping key batteries from my bugís key nothing. The car will lock/unlock the doors, windows go up and down, radio turns on, but nothing on the cluster, tried opening multiple doors and the trunk. Close up the car and lock it (disconnect the jump box and put it away). Go get a new key battery, tried to remote start it from a distance, it flashes the orange parking light with the lock button and the remote start, then flashes the DRL bulbs (iíve never seen it do that). It doesnít start (i have 3/4 tank and no error lights). Get to the car and open the door, now the mfi lights up and says key not in range and the car starts. I do have a polar fis on it, itís been there since November 2018. I do not have vagcom. My job is viewed essential, weíve been doing 7 on/7off (thurs-wed, closed sunday) from 3/23 - 5/23. Iíve been driving the passat 2/3 of the days iíve worked plus running to the grocery store.

I didnít drive the passat sunday, drove it to work and back yesterday 65 miles. Drove to work this morning 33 miles. Did the window trick, dropped the windows and tilted the sunroof. Started the car, drove it to the stop sign to pull out of the parking lot. Pull out of the parking lot and go maybe 50 feet it pops up airbag on the dash then esc and will not move forward despite being in drive, all it does is roll backwards down hill. It also has a flashing glow plug light. I get it back into the parking lot by coasting backwards. Shut it off restart, still had the traction light and maybe airbag. Backed it up then drove it forward in drive and the lights turned off the dash. Luckily im right by the vw dealer so i left it there. Didnít feel safe trying to drive it home. Any ideas?

Last edited by 06bluebeetletdi; June 2nd, 2020 at 17:05.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2020, 09:58   #2
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member

Did you load test the 2017 battery? Also, I'd have disconnected the battery for the required time for a total reset and then reconnected to see if it would operate properly, but since it's at dealer not an option. Hopefully they are thorough and their diagnostic tools will isolate the problem.
Also you mention the "window trick". Can you explain just what that entails and what it is used for?

Good luck!
Ex SpoolinJim 06 one owner Jetta TDI w/Malone Stage 2. Love the suspension change to TDI Cup. Getting double the mileage of the C70 I sold. Happy Happy. Photo is of my Yamaha halo bike, a 94 GTS 1000 w/James Parker designed RADD front end. Can you say STABLE??

ApriliaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2020, 17:55   #3
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Window trick is open drivers door, push and hold drivers front window switch, it will drop all the windows and tilt the sunroof if equipped. I do it in the afternoon while i take down my sunshade and get ready to drive. Max out the ac and itís cooling really well by the time i hit the main road 1/2 mile away.

They scanned the car late today and there are several intermittent no communication faults (powertrain, steering, abs etc.) as well as can bus faults. At the moment i am updating the polar fis at home and driving another car. I have a good relationship with some vw service folks, so weíre going to see where tests lead us. I drive 65 miles a day, most of that at 70 mph, so I definitely want a resolution of some sort, i do have extended warranty in addition to the tdi warranty.
Old June 4th, 2020, 05:42   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

my guess is a weak battery, and possibly the Polar FIS is taxing the battery as it may not allow the BCM to go to sleep.

A load test will prove if the battery is weak.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2020, 14:29   #5
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Battery tests good. No low voltage faults. All faults are related to normal communication or the canbus.
Old June 8th, 2020, 17:54   #6
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

I have the list of faults:
Engine electronics
High speed CAN communication bus (00100000 passive /sporadic)

Transmission electronics
Powertrain data bus faulty (intermittent)

Driver's door electronics
Function restriction due to missing message

Brake electronics
Power steering control module (no signal/communication intermittent)
Drive train data bus (faulty intermittent)
Drive train data bus (no signal/communication intermittent)
Steering angle sensor (no signal/communication intermittent)

Radio
Navigation antenna (short circuit to ground intermittent)

Sound system
Function limitation due to excessive temperature (00001000 passive / sporadic)

Electronic central electric
Steering column electronic systems control module (no signal / communication intermittent)
Lock unit for central locking left rear (implausible signal intermittent)
Data bus on board diagnostic interface (no signal/communication intermittent)
Terminal 75 emergency running active (intermittent)

Data bus obd interface
Infotainment data bus in single wire (electrical error in circuit intermittent)

Steering column lock
Function restriction due to missing message (00001000 passive/sporadic) this one appears three times
Old June 10th, 2020, 03:20   #7
thundershorts
Veteran Member

This still sound like a battery related voltage drop or possibly ground fault, B+ connection.Too many codes at same time. I suspect dealer shop didn't spend much time tracking it down. A weak cell, usually the one at the positive end of the battery can sometimes elude the chip based load test. An old fashioned resistor load tester might be good way to rule this out. It can also be used to expose grounding faults.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:24   #8
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Thundershorts, i added a but more info on the polar fis thread in the golf / jetta forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
I missed a page of faults. Also can bus / no communication.
Tpms control module
Abs module
Power steering (drive train data bus)
Airbag (high speed can communication bus)
Seat adjustment, driver’s seat (data bus onboard diagnostic interface)
Yellowsubmarine, i updated the pilar fis last Wednesday at home outside of the car. I thought about it on the way home and since it has been a week with no issues, im going to discuss it with my friend who is a vw Tech that’s helping me with the car. Maybe we will reinstall it tomorrow.
Old June 10th, 2020, 10:07   #9
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

too bad you werent closer to Las Vegas. Id offer to swap my PF03 for your PF04 and see if it affects your car the same or vice versa if your PF04 affected my car the same.
Old June 10th, 2020, 16:37   #10
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
too bad you werent closer to Las Vegas. Id offer to swap my PF03 for your PF04 and see if it affects your car the same or vice versa if your PF04 affected my car the same.
That would be nice . Game plan is to reinstall the polar fis tomorrow morning, try it tomorrow and friday. If all is good pick it up early Saturday, probably disconnect the polar fis for the ride home.
Old June 11th, 2020, 05:16   #11
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Since you didn't post any scan related voltage info, I was making an assumption. Polar was removed when car was at dealer? and they found no faults? Easy enough to do a load test yourself if you have a good voltmeter(Fluke or equivalent) take a voltage reading at the battery, turn car on, not start, turn headlights on for 2 minutes,turn headlights and car off, take another battery voltage reading. Post the readings here.
Old June 11th, 2020, 06:06   #12
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Car was scanned at the dealer, 4 pages of faults found. All faults were no communication or can bus. Polar was removed, faults cleated. Car has been driven every day at least twice a day since Wednesday of last week with no issues. I updated the polar last week, it was reinstalled this morning and instantly a repeat of last Saturdayís issue. My tech friend and i are condemning the polar as faulty and the cause of the dramatic failure of the car.