Just changed clutch, now clutch pedal is on the floor. Help! stuck

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Im beyond frustrated with this job. Hahaha. This is the second time I had the transmission off in the last 3 days trying to figure out this problem.

First, I had absolutely no clutch problems before doing this job, I just wanted to upgrade as I am about to purchase a tune and bought a 17/22. After finishing the first time around, The clutch pedal was super soft, engagement was near the floor, and I could almost shift without pressing in the clutch.

I decided to take off the transmission and check the clutch fork and throw out bearing. Nothing looked off, but I made sure to order a new clip and made sure the throw out bearing was still attached.

I just finished tossing it on for the second time, now the clutch pedal is all the way on the floor and doesnt leave. I dont have the axles in, but I notice the transmission flanges turn slowly even when the car is in Neutral. Is this normal?

I took out the slave cylinder checking for leaks. With the clutch pedal on the floor the rod does not depress. When I pull up the clutch pedal, I can get the rod to depress which in turn sends the fluid back into the master, and when i let go of the rod the slave fills back up with fluid. It seems like the slave is working fine.

I stuck a small screw driver in the slave cylinder hole inside the tranny and I cant get anything to move . Should I be able to move the fork? I seriously dont want to take this thing out a 3rd time! I checked for leaks everywhere and dont see any.

To bleed the clutch do I need to undo the nipple on the slave, depress the clutch pedal, tighten the nipple, lift up on clutch pedal, then repeat? I just dont see if being the clutch fork this time around. Ive searched, but the transmission flanges moving slowly in neutral has me somewhat concerned. Almost like the clutch isnt disengaged.

Please help as Im stranded and my boss will eat me alive if I cant figure this out tonight.

Best.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I'm not the expert you need, but... just some food for thought

reply 15 in this thread discusses a trick you may like:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=175647

[the 'hack' proposed in that reply is to connect a bleed hose from the left front brake bleeder to the clutch slave cylinder and use the brakes (both bleeders open) to push fluid to the slave cylinder and up to the master cylinder reservoir.] ...use at your own risk!.. and only if you have clean fluid in your system... and honestly it 's not something I would ever do.

I've twice had my clutch pedal go completely 'dead' while working on the brakes. In both cases I suppose I let the reservoir get too low while bleeding. The nipple that feeds the clutch is higher than the bottom of the reservoir so I guess...well I don't really know how is happened but I know what I've done to solve it.

I have a Motive pressure bleeder and I will use that to bleed the clutch slave cylinder while slowly moving the clutch pedal back and forth. it's a bit tough to get the air out but it will work.

I'm guessing you don't have a pressure bleeder and that's why I let you know about the hack.

or - start calling for rides to work or a rental? ... or time-travel? ; )

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
To bleed the clutch do I need to undo the nipple on the slave, depress the clutch pedal, tighten the nipple, lift up on clutch pedal, then repeat?

Basically yes, it's just air in the system, always happens when you pull the slave fitting a clutch. I've tried a few ways to stop it happening but have never been successful lol

As above though, pressure bleeder, vacuum bleeder or the brake nipple to the clutch slave nipple method, any should do the trick.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I hope it's just air. I can't help but laugh at mk3's cheesyness��

Can someone tell me if the trans flanges should move with the car in neutral? That's the only reason I believe it to be the throw out bearing/ and or fork.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
They can do, usually the brake pads sitting against the disc is enough to stop it though, like you should be able to hold them from turning while in neutral.

Just bleed it, it's free and there's a 99.9% chance it'll fix it :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did a manual to auto conversion (edit: oops! meant to say that it was the usual auto-->manual conversion....although, wouldn't the degree of difficulty be quite a bit higher to go the other way for once? :D) a little while ago, installing a LUK 17-050 clutch...pressure bled the clutch line once everything was back together, and 20 pumps later...clutch feels great.

BUT...just did a clutch swap on another car...putting in the LUK 17-050 repset. Held the shift lever in place with a bolt as I got the transmission in the car. Got in to start the car once everything was back together and...clutch pedal engagement reeeeally low to the floor, but at least it sprang back.

So - got out the pressure bleeder, put some pressure behind it, pumped the pedal a few times and now it sticks to the floor.

I've probably pumped it at least 100x by now - with pressure, without pressure, bleed screw open, bleed screw closed...nothing.

Help?

Edit: Extenuating symptom...how much "moisture" around the clutch master cylinder behind the clutch pedal is "too much"?

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Did a manual to auto conversion a little while ago, installing a LUK 17-050 clutch...
??????????? Manual to auto?

I know what you meant haha
I had a similar thing happen to my car. Was fine with the tired clutch in my car, as soon as I replaced it with a new clutch setup, pedal stuck to floor. Turns out the slave cylinder blew out. Try replacing it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Turns out the slave cylinder blew out. Try replacing it.
The *slave* cylinder blew out (?). What's that look like? My slave looks fine (the green rubber, etc.)....I think, although I do have another one kicking around.

The fluid seepage around the piston of the master cylinder makes me think I'm in for futzing with the most inaccessible / finicky R&R on the car.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
When my slave cylinder went out, I couldn't tell it was bad externally, it still looked okay. When disconnected from the transmission, it still would move in and out with the clutch pedal, but wouldn't push against a force, like the throw out fork.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After more tinkering, there's nothing I can do to get hydraulic fluid to bleed out now....the master cylinder obviously isn't able to push fluid.

It's been a while, but I now realize that this happened to me before: The clutch worked based on fluid that was trapped in the line between the slave and master cylinders. Once that got upset by the slave moving around while doing the clutch swap and the master had to draw more fluid in from the brake fluid reservoir....no can do.

So....time to hunt down a master cylinder (not to mention the $30 o-rings :rolleyes: ) and go through the "fun" of that install.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Doood! Take the old O-rings, and get a cup of hot water boiling in the microwave and drop 'em in and let it cool.

Now the connection sealing is not all the same...I went through this stuff with my son's project. An '00 with some donor '02 parts when we needed 'em.
cheers,
Douglas

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got a good price on aftermarket master cylinder and - added bonus - it came with o-ring and the little U-clip. :D

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...and just to follow up: Indeed, the issue was the failed master cylinder. Put a new one in there, pushed some fluid through, and all's good.

Jetta2005TDI

TDI
Jetta 2005 TDI (old version)
Also it is normal for pedal to be softer in the beginning. Be patient for some reason gets back to normal after several days. It happened to me and after several days all back to normal. Thanks to forum info.