www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old June 1st, 2020, 22:21   #16
Zeitgeist
Veteran Member

The custom intake* was made to allow the run from the intercooler to be a straight shot. I'm currently completely re-configuring the intake and exhaust setups. The K14 from a Mercedes is out and is being replaced with a GT2052, and the K&N Apollo air cleaner is getting swapped out for a Donaldson. I'm trying to reduce/eliminate drone and other noises. This originally was probably one of the cheapest ALH swaps into a Vanagon ever, so now I'm having to go back and invest some funds into fixing all the problems that cheap made.

*Fun fact: That intake log is made from the crash protection tube behind the dash on the Mk4 donor Jetta.
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:11   #17
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
The custom intake* was made to allow the run from the intercooler to be a straight shot. I'm currently completely re-configuring the intake and exhaust setups. The K14 from a Mercedes is out and is being replaced with a GT2052, and the K&N Apollo air cleaner is getting swapped out for a Donaldson. I'm trying to reduce/eliminate drone and other noises. This originally was probably one of the cheapest ALH swaps into a Vanagon ever, so now I'm having to go back and invest some funds into fixing all the problems that cheap made.

*Fun fact: That intake log is made from the crash protection tube behind the dash on the Mk4 donor Jetta.
cool! repurposing at it's best ... would the stock intake have interfered with the lid? On my last 82' tdi swap i used a ford explorer 5.0 airbox ...nice round design that lends itself well to various mounting positions.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 04:22   #18
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Splash zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
Has anyone done this? i know the pickup would need to be modified to compensate. Would this put the crank in the splash zone?
I really don't believe the splash zone will be an issue, especially if you are concerned about foaming. I find it difficult to believe that foaming will be an issue. Keep in mind, the oil pump gear and chain are spinning in oil. Also, the oil sprayers to the bottom of the pistons and sling oil from the rod and main bearings are constantly being slapped by the spinning crankshaft.

I use 6 quarts of oil in the custom made Vanagon diesel style oil pan I am using. I've never seen a fluctuation in oil pressure due to aeration/foaming. Fully warmed up, the engine idles a 28 psi oil pressure. Out on the road at 70 mph, the oil pressure is above 50 psi constantly.

So, I believe the oil level will be fine with the 50* angle using the stock oil pan. Once the engine is fired up and puts oil in motion (galleys filled, surfaces covered, etc.) the level will be acceptable. As we recently discussed, I've considered doing what you've been speculating to do.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 05:26   #19
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I really don't believe the splash zone will be an issue, especially if you are concerned about foaming. I find it difficult to believe that foaming will be an issue. Keep in mind, the oil pump gear and chain are spinning in oil. Also, the oil sprayers to the bottom of the pistons and sling oil from the rod and main bearings are constantly being slapped by the spinning crankshaft.
I use 6 quarts of oil in the custom made Vanagon diesel style oil pan I am using. I've never seen a fluctuation in oil pressure due to aeration/foaming. Fully warmed up, the engine idles a 28 psi oil pressure. Out on the road at 70 mph, the oil pressure is above 50 psi constantly.
So, I believe the oil level will be fine with the 50* angle using the stock oil pan. Once the engine is fired up and puts oil in motion (galleys filled, surfaces covered, etc.) the level will be acceptable. As we recently discussed, I've considered doing what you've been speculating to do.
thanks Andy! another data point to consider ...my preference is to use an ALH @ 50 degrees in this new to me 2wd 1.6d westy ....just for giggles i would use the 575k mile ALH sitting in my field ;P

Last edited by jimbote; June 2nd, 2020 at 05:31.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote