I'm I hosed?

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Hello Folks, just replaced the Timing belt in my 2015 MkVII GSW 2.0 CRUA/EA288. My assumption was I could use the tools from my 2006 BRM, but unfortunately they don't work. Had everything all torn apart so I decided to mark everything with a paint marker and tried my best to line everything up with the new belt the way the old one came off. Anyway, the new belt is on with no Crank, Cam, or Injection pump locks. What a pain, but everything lines up correctly now! Rotated crankshaft 6 complete rotations. Still looks good! The tensioner was giving me problems at first, but seems to be okay now. Thinking it's close? I have not tried to start it yet. Thinking it's okay, but do I need the locks, or do I dare try to start her. CAN NOT AFFORD A NEW ENGINE!!!! Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Crank lock doesn't work I suppose. I would just get the lock tool and wait until it arrives.

Borrow a car if necessary, but why risk it if you can't afford an engine. Even if you can afford it, why?

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
You are correct, all the lines match up, 10 rotations. Got to be close, my Draws are wet. Lol

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, she started right up. Crap did that scare me. Ran her for about a minute, need to put the Serpentine belt back on, and do a test drive. My pants are still spoiled! I marker her in 4 places and it took about 5 adjustments to get her square. I KNOW SHOOT ME NOW!!!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Changing Oil and Filter, seems to be running good. I know , shoot me now!!
No one gets off that easy. :eek:

To me if the engine was timed correctly at the factory and you are replacing the parts with exactly the same parts (diameters) it should be OK.

I did do my 3 belts with the correct lock tools.
My luck it would be out just enough to turn the engine over by hand, but running down the highway the belt would stretch just that tiny bit for the valves to touch the pistons.