www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 20th, 2019, 15:35   #1
PilotPat24

TDI(s): 2002 Golf
Default Battery Covered Under CPO Buyback Warranty?

Hi Guys,

My battery just died on my 2014 TDI JSW. Is the battery Covered under the CPO warranty? If it is, do I have to get the car there or can I just bring the battery to the dealership?

Thanks,

Pat
PilotPat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2019, 20:59   #2
JesseTDI
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt it. Batteries wear out. I could easily see them being treated as a wear item. Most lead acid car batteries dont last much longer than 5 years. Your best bet is to see when the battery you have was put in (there is usually a sticker with month and year of installation on it) if the date was within the last 3 years you MAY have some sort of pro rated warranty left but you certainly wont get one for free. Word of advice though do your research and dont go cheap when you replace your battery if you cheap out you will likely find yourself replacing it again very soon as diesels aren't kind to batteries. In this instance you really do get what you pay for...
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 12:56   #3
06bluebeetletdi
Veteran Member

Batteries are not covered under cpo, you can try checking the date to see if the dealer dealer you bought it from replaced it.
06bluebeetletdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 17:32   #4
PatrickPresti
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06bluebeetletdi View Post
Batteries are not covered under cpo, you can try checking the date to see if the dealer dealer you bought it from replaced it.
Okay thanks. Do you know what size battery is in the Jetta Sportwagen?

Thanks,

Pat
PatrickPresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2019, 23:39   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Maybe I am wrong but it was my impression that the batteries were one of the required items to be replaced before resale of the car. I would check that first, you may just get a new one or short prorated one out of the deal. How long have you owned the car?
Old December 22nd, 2019, 09:50   #6
JesseTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Maybe I am wrong but it was my impression that the batteries were one of the required items to be replaced before resale of the car. I would check that first, you may just get a new one or short prorated one out of the deal. How long have you owned the car?
Tested and replaced IF it falls below a certain threshold on the test.
JesseTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2019, 04:50   #7
PatrickPresti
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseTDI View Post
Tested and replaced IF it falls below a certain threshold on the test.
I just called a second VW Dealer and they said the battery is not covered under the CPO warranty...
PatrickPresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2019, 07:42   #8
Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I you aren't wrong, somebody owes me a battery! I bought my 2015 in January of 2017 and the battery date lines up close to when it rolled of the assembly line in late 2014.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2019, 07:56   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well I am a nobody, so don't take my word for it. Check it out.