www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old September 28th, 2018, 14:00   #1
Homerjj

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg ( canadian) highway
Default Phase 2 Fix Question

Hey,

Just picked up my 2015 Sportwagen from the dealership after some service. In the summer I was put on a waiting list for the phase 2 fix, but hadn't heard back from them.

When I asked the service adviser today about when they were going to get it done, she suggested that it was optional. To clarify I bought my rig "new" last year, as it was one of the held back cars that couldn't be sold until VW gave the dealers the ok. Phase 1 was done when I bought the car.

So, I guess is there any reason not to get the phase 2 done? I realize that there have been some issues on some tdi's with error codes popping up post fix.

But I assumed the warranty extension (& $4000 dollars of installed parts - her words not mine) that comes with the phase 2 fix was worth it?

Thanks

Aivars.

ps the car has 24,000 kms on it.
Homerjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 17:22   #2
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Canada may be different than the U.S. for warranty and fix, not sure....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 27k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 160hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 426k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 20:55   #3
CrazyMonkey

I can't comment on the warranty language for Canada. But, I can say that I did get several codes after the Phase 2 fix, but it was due to the dealership not having one of the exhaust clamps (pretty sure it was the one upstream of the oxidation catalyst) completely tight. They tightened it down, cleared the codes, and it's been running fine since.
Old September 29th, 2018, 22:31   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

In the US the fix is optionable. You can leave it as is or get it done. If you don't get the fix you lose the extended warranty. If you don't get the fix and have issues you may have to get the fix anyway due to parts issues. Probably won't have the old parts available anymore. I would read up on Canada's version. Probably better to get the fix and be covered. The 2015's seemed to be fairly problem free with few issues from my reading.
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:02   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

In the US it's an EPA emissions recall, it's up to your state to implement rules, if anything drive for another year or so then get the service done. May do our Passat around 40K which should be next summer/fall.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2018, 17:05   #6
pdh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/49 VW, 38/42 BMW

I had my Phase 2 upgrade performed in May after owning the car far a year.
It may have been my imagination, but I felt the car was "quicker" as soon as I left the dealership.
I have seen no change in mileage, and DEF refills are still at 10,000 mile service intervals.

IMO, there is no reason not to do the upgrade, other than the inconvenience of losing the car for a day or two.
pdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2018, 19:56   #7
CrazyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdh View Post
I had my Phase 2 upgrade performed in May after owning the car far a year.
It may have been my imagination, but I felt the car was "quicker" as soon as I left the dealership.
I have seen no change in mileage, and DEF refills are still at 10,000 mile service intervals.

IMO, there is no reason not to do the upgrade, other than the inconvenience of losing the car for a day or two.
It felt to me like the low end was significantly stronger than original after Phase 1, then the low end got slightly softer (but still good) and the top end got stronger after Phase 2.
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:19   #8
CruisingWagon

I had my fix completed in July on my '15 6spd manual. I feel the car is peppier off the line and has a more linear and smooth throttle response in lower gears. Unlike many others I have noticed a slight decrease in fuel mileage. That may be attributed to many other reasons and my particular driving habits. But it's a tradeoff the VW money, the extended warranty and what I perceive as better performance more than make up for.

From an irrational and emotional point of view I already loved this car before the fix but now that it's done I love it even more. Not a day goes buy that I regret the decision to keep it and complete the fix.
CruisingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 20:09   #9
CrazyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingWagon View Post
From an irrational and emotional point of view I already loved this car before the fix but now that it's done I love it even more. Not a day goes buy that I regret the decision to keep it and complete the fix.
Same here. I figured even if the fuel economy decreased slightly and/or urea consumption increased slightly, a person would still need to get a hybrid to get similar fuel economy, but with a less enjoyable driving experience.

Of course, our next car will likely be electric (while keeping the TDI)... I want to see what these VW ID cars end up really looking like and how they perform compared to the Tesla Model 3 and some others on their way to market.
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:11   #10
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Post phase 2 fix I think the transmission shifts weird and stupidly, like they're trying to make the car as boring as possible. Attempts at spirited driving results in clunking and banging like the transmission is freaking out trying not to do anything that makes any kind of sense. Most people wouldn't notice anything wrong, because it does shift normally if you don't try to confuse it. Was a lot better before the update.

$7000 settlement (for my wife, the owner) was worth it.

Without the settlement money, I wouldn't do it. Will they give you money?
Old October 11th, 2018, 11:51   #11
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

Those of us who bought new old stock don't get settlement money. So I guess the question becomes would you get it done to maintain your warranty?

Does sport mode change the odd behaviour?
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 13:44   #12
Homerjj

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg ( canadian) highway

In my case, I really want to own the car for a while, so I guess the warranty extension is pretty important.

And as suggested by The Tortoise I didn't get any settlement money.

I love the Sportwagen, am not overally impressed by the DSG shifting patterns, and recognize the benefits of a Malone Tune - as it was the best $500 spent on my 2005 Tdi wagon.

So I'm thinking Phase 2 fix for sure, and maybe considering a tune at some pt, as the engine clearly has a lot more untapped potential. Or just no tune, lowering springs, VCDS mods and drive it.

Lol... the options are staggering and endless.
Homerjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 13:53   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There is also a stand alone DSG tune you could get. Might like the shifting better.

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/dsg
Old October 11th, 2018, 22:49   #14
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
Does sport mode change the odd behaviour?
Sport mode is better in some circumstances. I think this is mainly because it holds gears longer, and the less it shifts, the less opportunity there is for it to shift badly. It was better before the update.

Normal mode just seems to want to get you into high gear as soon as possible. I found this to be a real problem on damp roads. Because the TDI has a lot of torque, you canít press the accelerator too much right off the line or youíll just spin the wheels and traction control will interfere. So if you give it light throttle to get moving, and then increase throttle when youíre going fast enough to do so, you find that the transmission has already made its way into third gear or something and then it needs to downshift because youíve increased the throttle. Or if you do spin the wheels a bit, which is very easy to do on a wet road, the transmission may shift while the wheels are spinning which makes such an awful clunk you almost expect parts to be littering the road. It upshifts because you arenít giving it much throttle, I guess.

Sport mode does mitigate some of that behavior, simply because it doesnít try to shift too soon.

So the transmission issues are more of a wet road problem. On a dry road itís less of a problem because you donít have to modify your throttle input to avoid spinning wheels.

I guess Iím just too accustomed to a manual transmission which allows me to do exactly what I want. The automatic just doesnít understand what Iím trying to do, I guess. Itís great if you drive it like an appliance.
Old October 11th, 2018, 23:18   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Didn't your Golf come with paddle shifters? If I want mine to do something special I shift it over to manual mode and paddle shift it. I have a base Beetle and was surprised it came with the extra dash gauges and paddle shifters.