www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 3rd, 2018, 12:39   #31
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

Hi Jason! No progress to speak of. I've been driving the taco quite a bit. I'm building my house now, so its been awesome to have a truck for home depot runs. I plan to start the swap this winter, and hopefully be able to use it by next summer.

It did recently start making some noises that I think are the pilot bearing, so I may be forced to start taking it apart sooner than later.
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:01   #32
vtpsd
Veteran Member

I've been using this truck all summer. The pilot bearing in the flywheel is going very bad, so its definitely time to get serious about the ALH swap.

I got my donor ALH mk4 jetta running well. It would start fine, but stumble a fair amount and make smoke that smelled like fuel. I suspected bad injectors or a failing pump. I bottle fed it some diesel purge, and it immediately improved. I think the fuel filter or fuel pickup is restricted in the car.

Tested the group 13 numbers, they were decent. It still looks like the injectors are somewhat worn, but the car runs smooth and no smoke.

I tested compression, I got 500 470 505 480. Not the closest numbers I have ever seen, but good enough to consider things healthy in my book. I suspect this engine is highly sooted up. I will be pulling the head and cleaning all the ports and valves before putting it in my truck.

I also got the adapter from Randy at TD Conversions and test fitted it. I also got his new heavy 22re flywheel that is machined to fit the larger 10" tacoma clutch. I have a centerforce 10" clutch in there. The clutch has centrifugal weights that apply more clamping force as RPMs rise. Interesting setup. I am a little concerned about those weights rattling around at idle. We shall see.
Below is the adapter setup fitted to an AHU block I happened to have in the shop. Everything looks good!

Scrapping a MK3 that I parted to use the cylinder head on my TDI audi. Towing weight with the 4 cylinder tacoma is pretty funny. Pinned all the time.

Last edited by vtpsd; October 1st, 2018 at 09:18.
vtpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 13:53   #33
Sugarkryptonite

TDI(s): None

Cool swap buddy. I was just curious how the stock gearing is going to be with the TDI motor, have you done any calculations? I was planning on doing something similar with a GMC Canyon w/ an automatic trans (not really interested in a manual), but I'm worried about the 4x4 gearing, and how hard it would be to change to accomodate the TDI motor gearing.
Sugarkryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:21   #34
vtpsd
Veteran Member

I haven't done much gearing calculation. Honestly, my trucks gearing is way too high currently for the gasser, and feels like it could even be a little high for the TDI. I havent bothered to check, but I think it has 3.88's, plus 31" tires.

5th gear is basically useless below 70MPH.

I know others have used stock toyota gearing without issues.

In a perfect world, i might even want to lower my final drive on both axles, but I hope I dont need to.

Last edited by vtpsd; October 3rd, 2018 at 06:37.
vtpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:07   #35
Runninwild

You more then likely have 4.10 diff gears. I'm planning on 4.56 or 4.88 in my taco with 35's.
Runninwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:24   #36
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
I haven't done much gearing calculation. Honestly, my trucks gearing is way too high currently for the gasser, and feels like it could even be a little high for the TDI. I havent bothered to check, but I think it has 3.88's, plus 31" tires.

5th gear is basically useless below 70MPH.

I know others have used stock toyota gearing without issues.

In a perfect world, i might even want to lower my final drive on both axles, but I hope I dont need to.
your stock gearing is 3:59, which is why i swapped to 4:10 in my rig... used gears are cheap, all first gen sequoias have 4:10 and the drop out will bolt right in your 8.4 as will 1st gen tundra, though not many tundras were 4:10 ... you can use any third gen 4runner or first gen tacoma front diff (4:10 of course) and sequoia/tundra front diffs may also work
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:26   #37
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninwild View Post
You more then likely have 4.10 diff gears. I'm planning on 4.56 or 4.88 in my taco with 35's.
nope, all the 3rz 4x4 manual tacomas with stock 235's had 3:59's
Old October 9th, 2018, 07:33   #38
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input Jim. I verified the truck does have the 3.59 gears. I will try it with those, but I'm guessing I will want to regear.

I have the Non-ADD front diff, which I like. I have regeared a toyota rear end before, but never an IFS front diff. Do parts like gears swap between ADD and non ADD diff housings?
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:03   #39
jimbote

Quote:
Thanks for the input Jim. I verified the truck does have the 3.59 gears. I will try it with those, but I'm guessing I will want to regear.

I have the Non-ADD front diff, which I like. I have regeared a toyota rear end before, but never an IFS front diff. Do parts like gears swap between ADD and non ADD diff housings?
you can use the diff from an ADD truck by unbolting all the ADD parts and bolting on your non-ADD axle and tube, it's what i'm running on my truck ....my diff came from a third gen runner with ADD
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:28   #40
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Perfect! Good info.

A friend down the road has a v6 parts truck, dont remember if its a 5-speed, but if it is, it sounds like it would be a 4.10 truck.

I should be able to use front diff and rear 3rd member from that right?
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:59   #41
jimbote

Quote:
Perfect! Good info.

A friend down the road has a v6 parts truck, dont remember if its a 5-speed, but if it is, it sounds like it would be a 4.10 truck.

I should be able to use front diff and rear 3rd member from that right?
If it's a Tacoma without e-locker, yes, if it's a 4Runner only the front diff will work... all 3rd gen 4Runners had 8in rear axles... Tacomas have 8.4 rear axles except the ones that have e Locker
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:53   #42
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
If it's a Tacoma without e-locker, yes, if it's a 4Runner only the front diff will work... all 3rd gen 4Runners had 8in rear axles... Tacomas have 8.4 rear axles except the ones that have e Locker
It is a v6, 5-speed 4x4 tundra. I dont know the year. I dont think it can be an elocker?

According to this, it basically has to be a 4.10 truck, I think.
https://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...f-gear-ratios/