www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old August 6th, 2018, 08:40   #796
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

Yes, I have seen the same information on Bimmerfest. Very disappointing. My 535d is a lease, which is up in Nov '19. I guess I could consider buying it out, if it makes financial sense. Not sure what I'll do. We are being led to electrification, more and more. I'm not totally against electric, but it's going to be hard to match the range I have with the 535d. I'll need to get as much life out my Q5 TDI as possible.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 17:21   #797
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

I just got the August 2018 Roundel and there is an article by an X5 diesel owner about being at the SC test track to look at the new X5 models. He says that BMW has given a strong indication that we will get the diesel X5 eventually, but no mention is made of the recent tariff kerfuffle so I'll reserve judgement.

TM
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 17:28   #798
aircooledkid

I love my F31 wagon and want to pick up another another before they are gone. The G21 is not coming to the US so the last days of getting a diesel wagon are numbered. Reality is I don't need another wagon, I need a tow vehicle. I'm moving towards a X535D instead.
aircooledkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2018, 19:41   #799
aircooledkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooledkid View Post
I love my F31 wagon and want to pick up another another before they are gone. The G21 is not coming to the US so the last days of getting a diesel wagon are numbered. Reality is I don't need another wagon, I need a tow vehicle. I'm moving towards a X535D instead.
Side note my 2014 328d wagon lost its transfer case at 40860 two weeks ago on my road trip from Montana to New Mexico. It's currently at dealer in SLC. It was six months out of warranty. BMW is covering 75%.
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:35   #800
kooyajerms
grocery getter

Is there anything folks can do to prevent these xdrive’s from taking a poop so quickly? I haven’t read much on the 328d’s transfer cases other than the failures.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:20   #801
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

JasonTDI says if you change the gear oil in the case every 40K they last fine. The correct oil is $90 a liter but it only takes about 4-6 oz. So it's not really that expensive. There's no service interval for the case but, like the transmissions, they benefit from a fluid change.
Old August 7th, 2018, 16:48   #802
aircooledkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
JasonTDI says if you change the gear oil in the case every 40K they last fine. The correct oil is $90 a liter but it only takes about 4-6 oz. So it's not really that expensive. There's no service interval for the case but, like the transmissions, they benefit from a fluid change.
I believed this too when I bought mine, but not anymore. Too many tc's have failed with way less than 40k on them. The spines on the rear yoke spun on mine. Thier has to be a hardness or tolerance issue with the rear yoke and mainshaft.That looks to be the failure point in the f31 tc. It seems to be 14s that have more failures. Mine was built dec13. I changed the oil in mine when I bought it @26k. I have been told the tansfer case part number has changed. I'm wondering if any updates have been made to it.
Old August 7th, 2018, 17:35   #803
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTDI View Post
Yes, I have seen the same information on Bimmerfest. Very disappointing. My 535d is a lease, which is up in Nov '19. I guess I could consider buying it out, if it makes financial sense. Not sure what I'll do. We are being led to electrification, more and more. I'm not totally against electric, but it's going to be hard to match the range I have with the 535d. I'll need to get as much life out my Q5 TDI as possible.
BMW not returning with diesels means I won't be returning as a customer and I'm committed to keeping my 14 535d and 12 X5 35d as long as possible. VW already lost me as a customer due to no more TDIs.

I'm becoming more of a truck guy too so if I add another diesel vehicle to my all diesel fleet, it likely will be a diesel pickup truck. I miss the 08 Ford F-350 SuperDuty 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel truck I had a few years ago. The truck was too damn useful for those times when I needed a truck. At the time it was hard to justify owning 3 vehicles when I'm the only driver of them. That means I probably will have another one again someday. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all and is expanding. Diesel pickup truck owners are our friends when it comes to keeping diesel alive.

No gassers or electric for me. Whatever I own and drive HAS to be DIESEL powered.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; August 7th, 2018 at 17:39.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:12   #804
dmanb2b
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooledkid View Post
Side note my 2014 328d wagon lost its transfer case at 40860 two weeks ago on my road trip from Montana to New Mexico. It's currently at dealer in SLC. It was six months out of warranty. BMW is covering 75%.
I really wanted a 328d wagon, but they only make it in x-drive. The transfer case is a known weakness unfortunately.
Old August 8th, 2018, 19:38   #805
aircooledkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
I really wanted a 328d wagon, but they only make it in x-drive. The transfer case is a known weakness unfortunately.
Im not fond of the Xdrive at all. The transfer case issue is my only complaint, but I still love this car more than any of my tdi's I've had. I'm not getting rid of this car. Especially since the new G21 is not coming to the US. If it happens again I will fix it myself.
Old August 10th, 2018, 14:42   #806
TOCleanDieselWag

Question Powering an external air pump?

Hi folks! I have a question: I have a tire pump that I use mainly to pump up bicycle tires. It needs to be connected to a battery, as the leads have battery clamps. The cord has an in-line fuse as protection. I've used this pump with other cars, but cannot figure out how to get it to work with the Bimmer. I get no power from the positive post under the hood. Does anyone know how to get power from the battery on these cars? Can't find anything in the owner's manual.
I also have a battery maintainer for periods when the car is parked, but it too doesn't work with this car. Maybe the same issue.
Any ideas? The car is a 2017 328d Touring...
Thanks!!
TOCleanDieselWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 15:45   #807
TOCleanDieselWag

OK, so I've solved my own problem! I didn't know that there is in fact a "negative battery post" under the hood on the right side of the car (left as you open the hood - over the wheel well). I tried that and it worked! All the other metal under the hood didn't complete the circuit. What an intricate beast this car is :-)
TOCleanDieselWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 17:49   #808
jstn
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none, now.

made a couple mods to my '12 x5d over the past 2 weeks:
  • ATM catted dp (dpf delete) and midpipe
  • EGR delete
  • JR 2.8 tune via odb
did the work myself. first off, if you haven't done a dpf delete on an x5d before, it's a lot of work. accessing several nuts and bolts is very difficult. removal of the dpf is a complete *****, to say the least. you need to drop the passenger subframe until there is literally 2 threads left on each of the 3 bolts... even then, i had to rotate the DPF in place, 180 degrees, after an hour or two of messing with it, before i could find the right angle for it to barely squeeze out.
work left:
  • delete primary egr cooler
  • delete egr
  • swirl flap delete
  • ATM fmic install
  • fluidampr + pulley install
  • t-stat
  • full tranny service
so another day or so worth of work, just waiting on a few parts, but i'll say, this thing hauls ass and gets amazing mileage for the power! similar setups have dyno'd at 315awhp / 500 awtq. butt dyno feels that way! it just pulls and pulls and pulls and before you know it you're at 90-100mph in a 5200lb SUV (i mean, SAV ).
exhaust smell is very minimal. at most, it smells like my alh did with no cat, which i actually enjoy (you get it). more sound would be nice, but the cat really prevents any loud turbo whistle and exhaust bark (sad face).
i'm considering an xhp trans tune. has anyone done this yet? i've read stage 2 is ideal but others have said stage 3 is also decent for daily driving.
justin

"Hey guys. Woah, Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later!"
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:14   #809
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

Congrats on being able to perform those mods yourself. Any concerns about passing emissions testing in MA?
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 17:55   #810
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
made a couple mods to my '12 x5d over the past 2 weeks:
  • ATM catted dp (dpf delete) and midpipe
  • EGR delete
  • JR 2.8 tune via odb
did the work myself. first off, if you haven't done a dpf delete on an x5d before, it's a lot of work. accessing several nuts and bolts is very difficult. removal of the dpf is a complete *****, to say the least. you need to drop the passenger subframe until there is literally 2 threads left on each of the 3 bolts... even then, i had to rotate the DPF in place, 180 degrees, after an hour or two of messing with it, before i could find the right angle for it to barely squeeze out.
work left:
  • delete primary egr cooler
  • delete egr
  • swirl flap delete
  • ATM fmic install
  • fluidampr + pulley install
  • t-stat
  • full tranny service
so another day or so worth of work, just waiting on a few parts, but i'll say, this thing hauls ass and gets amazing mileage for the power! similar setups have dyno'd at 315awhp / 500 awtq. butt dyno feels that way! it just pulls and pulls and pulls and before you know it you're at 90-100mph in a 5200lb SUV (i mean, SAV ).
exhaust smell is very minimal. at most, it smells like my alh did with no cat, which i actually enjoy (you get it). more sound would be nice, but the cat really prevents any loud turbo whistle and exhaust bark (sad face).
i'm considering an xhp trans tune. has anyone done this yet? i've read stage 2 is ideal but others have said stage 3 is also decent for daily driving.
justin
Nice!

I'm getting all of that done to my 335d by AARodriguez on Columbus Day. Can't wait.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote