TDI conversion on a '91 Golf Gti

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
TDI conversion on a \'91 Golf Gti

TDI from an A3-chassis into an A2-chassis? It can be done and it HAS been done, but don't underestimate what's involved to do it right. You need the entire driveline including the tranny, you need to figure out how to make the TDI's cable shifter work, you need to figure out how to make the TDI's hydraulic clutch and drive-by-wire accelerator work, you need to make all the electronics work, you need to find a place for the intercooler and make the intake and exhaust systems work, AND since you are working with a vehicle that originally had a gasoline engine, you need to change a bunch of stuff in the fuel system, AND figure out how to make the tachometer work since a TDI doesn't have ignition coils to operate a tach with. And that's not even including all the nitty-gritty details that you'll run into.

Search the forums, it's been discussed before. I REPEAT ... it can be done and it HAS been done several times, but it's neither easy nor inexpensive.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

The A3/B4 engine fits a lot easier than one from an A4.

Blades

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI

I'll be working on a TDI into an A2 Jetta this winter.

Converting from 1.8 8v to Mecanical TDI. It's an A4 engine (that is going to get ported) that we're mating to a modified 1.9TD fuel pump , 1.9TD intake and exhaust manifold (ported) and some big ass diesel turbo.

No need for a chip but we might get some injectors after the break-in period /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's my friend project car.

The swap is pretty much starit forward like any other if you use a A3/B4 engine except that you also need a fuel tank, either from an A3 TDI or a A2 Diesel or Turbo diesel.