www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 23rd, 2014, 13:32   #841
94cobra2615
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99 jetta tdi

I just went to advance auto parts and ordered one there. That one looks like josh's stat and I went ahead and did the modification to it and installed it.

The thermostat that doesn't look the same that I got initially I ordered from Rockauto. Aparently there are two versions of the same part number from stant. I'm not sure if rockautos is a newer version or older.

Car stays around 203 degrees. I tried to push it out on the road and I never got it above 204.8 degrees, so it seems to be working according to Ultragauge.

My previous thermostat was an oem one replaced last year and it usually hovered around 180.
94cobra2615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:45   #842
G3TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra2615 View Post
I just went to advance auto parts and ordered one there. That one looks like josh's stat and I went ahead and did the modification to it and installed it.

The thermostat that doesn't look the same that I got initially I ordered from Rockauto. Aparently there are two versions of the same part number from stant. I'm not sure if rockautos is a newer version or older.

Car stays around 203 degrees. I tried to push it out on the road and I never got it above 204.8 degrees, so it seems to be working according to Ultragauge.

My previous thermostat was an oem one replaced last year and it usually hovered around 180.
OK great, do you have pics of the two boxes and all the numbers and labeling on them?
G3TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 22:26   #843
hardint
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 gl
Fuel Economy: 40-44/

I purchased the stant also only to find that it isn't made the same as described ,I did that last winter and it's still laying in tool box I will look at it and recheck this post, hopefully the 94cobra will post pictures also to help find the correct part with same part numbers.
I have several gallons of Evans around also hadn't thought of the higher temp helping keep me warm in the cold,I hate the warm up time of the TDI in winter !!!
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:22   #844
94cobra2615
Veteran Member

Old November 26th, 2014, 00:43   #845
hardint
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 gl
Fuel Economy: 40-44/

Thanks 94cobra, I will compare to my box tomorrow if I don't forget but reasonably sure it looks like the wrong one box on the right !!!
Are they both USA made or one Mexico or China ??

Last edited by hardint; November 26th, 2014 at 00:48.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:18   #846
G3TDI
Veteran Member

So I've been loving my hybrid thermostat & evans coolant setup now for some time, so much so that I plan to use it on a TDI swap into a larger vehicle

This vehicle I also plan to tow with on occasion, whereby I have considered using an external oil cooler also but not sure if that's a good idea at all, even if I used a sandwich that has a thermostat builtin I am thinking it could work "against" this higher temp thermostat? Thoughts?
Old June 7th, 2015, 09:55   #847
clyde
Veteran Member

The oil temp affects coolant temp only indirectly.

In November I towed a 2300 pound load 500 miles with a Mk3 TDI, which had the factory oil cooler. Temps didn't exceed 230°F going uphill. Of course, with that load I wasn't driving 80 mph—55 was more like it.

You might have to try it and see.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:00   #848
G3TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The oil temp affects coolant temp only indirectly.

In November I towed a 2300 pound load 500 miles with a Mk3 TDI, which had the factory oil cooler. Temps didn't exceed 230°F going uphill. Of course, with that load I wasn't driving 80 mph—55 was more like it.

You might have to try it and see.
Well it depends on how "indirectly" you mean

As long as you have the factory ("oil cooler" as they call them) heat exchanger, the coolant will be heating up the oil when engine is cold, and vice versa when the engine is warm.

The factory "oil cooler" is not really an "oil cooler" in the same sense as an external one would indeed be a cooler, hence the question.

P.S. Where exactly are you measuring the oil temp? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3585250
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:47   #849
clyde
Veteran Member

Installed a VW sensor "at the engine inlet (post oil filter/heat exchanger)," which is atop the filter adapter on a Mk3 AHU engine.
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:50   #850
G3TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Installed a VW sensor "at the engine inlet (post oil filter/heat exchanger)," which is atop the filter adapter on a Mk3 AHU engine.
Ok that's where I was considering putting one too, what gauge are you using? I am also using the AHU engines btw.

Interesting question, have you ever measured (as in followed during driving) the coolant temp vs oil temp? The factory coolant gauge is very inaccurate, I can say this because I barely notice my factory coolant gauge being higher than straight up even with my 205F/96C thermostat which according to to my scanguage gives me a coolant temp of 105-112c (221-233F)

Last edited by G3TDI; June 7th, 2015 at 10:57.
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:24   #851
clyde
Veteran Member

As an experiment I put VW temp sensors in both the filter adapter flange, for oil temp, and in the coolant outlet flange for coolant temp. Ran the outputs of both sensors to a single-pole, double throw switch. Output of the switch went to the input of the MFA of a Mk2 instrument cluster. By selecting the MFA Oil Temp function the readout would show oil temp or coolant temp, depending on the setting of the SPDT switch.

As you said, at engine start the coolant heats much more rapidly than does the oil, and the small oil-coolant heat exchanger warms the oil—good for a cold engine.

After heat stabilizes, coolant and oil temps weren't much different.

I agree about the crummy coolant temp gauges on the Mk3. Mine will show a temp decline on a long downhill run, but it doesn't show an increase on a long uphill climb.

On my Mk3 I also use the MFA readout to monitor oil temp. Have a modified cluster from a V6 car…
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:29   #852
G3TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
As an experiment I put VW temp sensors in both the filter adapter flange, for oil temp, and in the coolant outlet flange for coolant temp. Ran the outputs of both sensors to a single-pole, double throw switch. Output of the switch went to the input of the MFA of a Mk2 instrument cluster. By selecting the MFA Oil Temp function the readout would show oil temp or coolant temp, depending on the setting of the SPDT switch.

As you said, at engine start the coolant heats much more rapidly than does the oil, and the small oil-coolant heat exchanger warms the oil—good for a cold engine.

After heat stabilizes, coolant and oil temps weren't much different.

I agree about the crummy coolant temp gauges on the Mk3. Mine will show a temp decline on a long downhill run, but it doesn't show an increase on a long uphill climb.

On my Mk3 I also use the MFA readout to monitor oil temp. Have a modified cluster from a V6 car…
Cool, thanks!

Do you have any of the mods discussed in this thread also? "Hybrid" thermostat and/or waterless coolant?
Old June 10th, 2015, 16:59   #853
94cobra2615
Veteran Member

Just an update on my hybrid thermostat. With the hotter temps of summer I've seen a temp as high as 217.8 degrees in a traffic jam with the air on.

Normal temps have been around 206 to 212 with the summer temps.

Car runs great regardless of the temps!

Last edited by 94cobra2615; June 10th, 2015 at 17:01.
Old June 10th, 2015, 19:39   #854
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Any MPG gain?

Mine with a new OEM stat runs at 93 deg C with the a/c on, driving at 75 mph and 25 deg outside temp.

I found Evan's made my Minivan run colder in the winter.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 18:30   #855
minis2003
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg

Any update if there was an increase of MPGs?
minis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote