www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 28th, 2002, 05:55   #1
days-like-this
Veteran Member

Default 36 mpg\'s on 2002 5 speed / tracking mpg\'s

I'm new to tdi's and just posted on the tdi101 section about mpg's to see what others were getting. I also read through some of the archives in this forum relating to venting, mpg's, etc.

I just got 36 mpg's on my third tank and I'm bummed, or at least worried that something could be wrong (as I've got a 5 speed)...my other two tanks were 47 and 41. Should I be concerned about this? Also, I want to try venting to get some consistency. When I filled up this last time it only went to 12.6 gallons. So if I'm understanding correctly, you'll always know you are full with venting, whereas if you don't, some pumps will shut off at different points and sensitivities?

Friends in California have also mentioned that Utah is supposed to have pretty crappy diesel compared to California...should I consider using an additive?

Lastly, could someone post a link to a great mileage spreadsheet...I read about those in the archives as well. Thanks
days-like-this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 11:42   #2
pkagel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02Jetta
Fuel Economy: 60hwy
Default Re: 36 mpg\'s on 2002 5 speed / tracking mpg\'s

i wouldn't worry about one tank, worry about the average over the long run.
pkagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 11:53   #3
days-like-this
Veteran Member

okay, I just thought that the window sticker says 41/50...you'd think that if there was a possibility you would get 36, they would list that as the low. I just need to get some more miles on it and I'm sure everything will evein out. Thanks-
Old June 28th, 2002, 11:57   #4
Old Navy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg on PU, 33 on Car

You might have the same problem I frequently have, torqueitis componded by 15D lead foot. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 14:49   #5
schnabba
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

average it over time - I get some strange ones occasionally, and unless you fill up at the same place every time, the pump may or may not shut off at the same point.

If the trend stays low, then there is a problem. ALSO, you can check your snow screen - my fuel mileage was dropping, since about 15,000 miles, and the snow screen was clogged up pretty good. Check that goofy thing, and then check the air cleaner too.

Also - do a quick check to see if there are any vacuum lines unplugged (this is a remote possibility, not real likely).

pump timing can do this as well.

now that I think about it..... the real problem is you have steel wheels and need to put some NICE alloys on.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 16:41   #6
days-like-this
Veteran Member

You know, I thought I might be driving a little hard, so this tank I backed off some...noticed the turbo again at low rpm's, which is what I noticed when I first drove the car [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So I should check the snow screen and air cleaner even though I only have 1600 miles on the car? I guess I'll break open my new Bentley and learn a thing or two...also, checking for unplugged hoses...

Yeah, I know, the alloys need to go on (not planned until Blizzaks get mounted on them in October...they really are in fantastic condition...thanks! I actually might get some 17" Long Beaches...that'll really kill my fuel efficiency [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old June 28th, 2002, 18:17   #7
schnabba
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally posted by days-like-this:
So I should check the snow screen and air cleaner even though I only have 1600 miles on the car? I guess I'll break open my new Bentley and learn a thing or two...also, checking for unplugged hoses...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">probably not, but it never hurts to check it - then you can see what it takes to get the thing off the car (it's really not that hard on a golf/jetta).
schnabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 20:40   #8
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Tell you a story...

When I first got mine, I got around 36 MPG on the first tank. Then I discovered 5th gear. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And shifting lower (say 2400 - 2500 RPMs).

After that I got (and still get) around 45 MPG.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 17:00   #9
lobsang

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

days-like-this
I have noticed significant milage differences with the type of fuel I use. The different brands and also the different times of the year and the different fuel stations; but what is most interesting is when I first put in Power Services Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive. I am only on my first tank with the additive but I am getting a little more than 300 miles with a half tank. Never used to get 300 miles at the half way point. In short, try out the fuel additive mentioned above. Incidentally, I will try out another additive after I finish my bottle of the Power Services; the Redline Diesel 85 plus.
Good luck on your milage.
lobsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 17:20   #10
days-like-this
Veteran Member

Yes, I am going to try the additives...also, there is a Texaco nearby that is advertising "premium diesel" so that is what I filled out with last time...I'm also driving very conservatively (shifting around 2200 rpm's) and am doing about 75% highway driving this tank, so we'll see how it all pans out. So far I'm just under half a tank and have about 340 miles, so that "appears" better than last time.
Also, the window sticker that came on the car says (in very fine print) that the 41/50 mpg can vary as much as 35 to 58...so, at 36, at least I'm not under 35 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old July 5th, 2002, 23:56   #11
tadc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/37

i'd bet your injection timing is retarded.

Do you smoke much?
tadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2002, 00:05   #12
lobsang

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

when I first got my car, I used Texaco exclusively. I got varying mpg from different Texaco stations, but normally in the high 30's to low 40's. I tried different brands of fuel to see if I would get any different results. To date, I am not using Texaco. I am adding the Power Service additive and on my first tank (still not empty), I am pretty sure I will get over 600 miles as my fuel gauge is reading 1/4 and I have travelled 525 miles already
lobsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2002, 00:34   #13
godlike242
Veteran Member

i have a couple spread sheets.. one that is a rough draft, and one that someone kindly worked on for me(sorry.. i forget his name) from that sheet.. both work though..

i would e-mail them, but your e-mail is not displayed.
godlike242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2002, 07:35   #14
days-like-this
Veteran Member

it doesn't appear that I smoke much. Some friends were visiting and wanted me to punch it to check for smoke (and compare against their Passat)...I did to about 4500-5000 rpm's and we got some smoke, but other than that, seems normal.

How else would I know if the injection timing was off?

Also, what should my engine idle at? It appears to be around 950 when the a/c is on...I'll have to check without a/c...could it be idling too fast?
Old July 6th, 2002, 08:32   #15
Zeedaddy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/40/32

Days-like-this, three words for you.....Break-In Period, i wouldnt worry too much about milage till about 5K when you have you're first service. I also have a five speed, and suffer from lead-footitis, and have gotten a couple of tanks at 36MPG in the city, but never been below 40 on the highway. To relieve lead foot-titis shifting between 2200-2600 RPM I have found makes a big difference(higher 2k to 3k) while running a/c to take advantage of the turbo. 950RPM at idle with the A/C sound right, that's where mine idles.

Enjoy the car....dont worry about the details [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
sometime I wish I could take my own advice [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

One thing I may add is that I think alltitude makes a difference in mileage, im at 4300ft here in the truckee meadows
down in the Central Valley of Cali I can go alot longer than here on a tank...just a theory

[ July 06, 2002, 08:37: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]
Zeedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote