Can't retract rear caliper with Autozone tool Help!!

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
I am doing my rear brakes for the first time and everything was going along smoothly until I tried to compress the caliper piston with the Autozone brake tool. I have it in place but it is so tight and hard to move the piston. It won't budge. Am I just weak? Do I need to open the bleeder valve or something. Watched You Tube video of Jetta M4 procedure and it did not look that hard. I have a Jetta 2000 TDI.

Help. What am I doing wrong.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it must rotate as it depresses. Here's what a proper tool looks like:

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
The tool turns the piston while at the same time compressing the piston. It is the same as the Metalnerd tool. My pads were really worn down and I could not get the adapter with the deep pins to fit. The pins that fit into the slots on the piston were not as deep as the Metalnerd tool, but I can't imagine that is the problem. Do calipers freeze. If it did would I have noticed it?

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
It is somewhat easier with the bleeder open, and does require a fair bit of effort, but should turn fairly smoothly once moving. I thought my rear calipers were seized once, but turned out to be seized parking brake cables. Might want to make sure they are released fully when you attempt to retract the piston.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
fwiw, the two tools are NOT identical. the autzone one is too thick to fit inside the caliper if the pads are worn down too much. i was in the exact same position and had to get the metalnerd tool. its fits like a glove.

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Lex,

I can get the Autozone tool to fit inside the caliper if I use the adapter with the shorter pins. Is this what you did and the shorter pinned adapter does not worK? Or you couldn't fit the Autozone tool at all? Want to make sure this is the problem before ordering Metalnerd tool.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
its been a while, but i was unable to fit the tool in there with any of the adapters.

if you dont want to get the metalnerd tool, get and extra pair of hands, a C-clamp and some needle nose pliers.

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Autotech,

I disconnected the parking brake cable from the caliper and my parking brake is released. If this is the case it can't be my parking brake cable, correct?

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Lex,

I would buy the Metalnerd tool if I knew that was the problem. How do you compress the piston with a c clamp and needle nose pliers? The clamp part I get, but how do you turn the piston with the pliers?

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
I went back out to the garage to try one more time. I was able to get the Autozone tool inserted with the correct adapter by tapping it in with a screwdriver and hammer. I set the caliper up on a stool supported by a two x four. I am 5'7" and 152 pounds. Holding the caliper down with all my weight I was able to turn the piston very slightly. I will keep working on it tomorrow and post my progress. If I was 250 pounds perhaps it would be easier. The old pads only had 1/16" of pad left. I wonder if the piston is out so far that it is harder to push it back in?

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Try turning prior to putting too much pressure on the piston... I'm twice your weight and had no problem pushing in the piston. But then again I had the dieselgeek tool and ahhemm alot more weight to put behind it.

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Caliper went in a bit but I can't get it to go in as far as it has to. It needs to go in another 1/2 inch. The rubber boot on the caliper is torn. I wonder if the caliper is shot? I'll put everything back together with the old pads and try the other side. If the piston goes in on other side, then the Autozone tool is OK.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I opened the bleeder screw when I did the same procedure. I didn't want to push in old fluid back up into the system - plus it relieves the pressure. It shouldn't take that much effort. I did it with just my hands using the Autozone tool.

Maybe you have some debris stuck within the piston and piston seal? If it were me I might consider putting the old pads back on and loosely mount the caliper in position. You dont need to put the bolts in. Then, have someone apply brake pressure to force the piston back out a little bit, not all the way. Screw back in.

The torn rubber boot should be replaced as it will let in dirt and moisture into the piston area. It won't immediately be a problem but it will be one later. Moisture and brake fluid are mutually attracted and the effects aren't too nice.

dkozikowski

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 VW Golf TDI
I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions on multiple vehicles (not only VW).

The piston is most likely not centered. You won't be able to see it with your eye but even the slightest tweak will mean your piston is not going to go back in.

Go in the car and VERY GENTLY depress the brake pedal ever so slightly. This will push the piston back out and square it up in the process. Just be careful to not press the pedal down so much the piston extends too far. You don't need to press the pedal all the way to the floor. Just a little will do. Have someone watch the piston while you do it.

Now, try setting the piston back in. Hopefully you can get your tool back in there. And make sure the tool is installed properly. It's very easy to tweak the piston.

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Gave up and put old pads back on. Did other side caliper retracted very easily. One Caliper must be bad. Now I have two new rotors one set of new pads and one old set with 1/16" on them.

Help. How much does a caliper cost?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
dkozikowski said:
I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions on multiple vehicles (not only VW).

The piston is most likely not centered. You won't be able to see it with your eye but even the slightest tweak will mean your piston is not going to go back in.

Go in the car and VERY GENTLY depress the brake pedal ever so slightly. This will push the piston back out and square it up in the process. Just be careful to not press the pedal down so much the piston extends too far. You don't need to press the pedal all the way to the floor. Just a little will do. Have someone watch the piston while you do it.

Now, try setting the piston back in. Hopefully you can get your tool back in there. And make sure the tool is installed properly. It's very easy to tweak the piston.
I thought of this possibility but it would be odd that he was able to retract the piston in as far as he did with it off center. He could have it off center and it dug into the piston wall but at that point the caliper is a toast. I thought there is a screw in the center keeping everything aligned anyway...

Rebuilding the caliper is an option but I don't know if that is worth it in comparison to a new caliper.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
refurbished calipers at your smaller local auto parts store should be about $75 with core charge. Autozone's and pepboys will be about 25 to 50 dollars more.

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
I put the old pads back in for now since I need the car for work tomorrow. Do you think that by driving it around it may have reset the piston? How do I know if it is the piston is off-center or if the caliper is frozen?

Thanks

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Jokila,

I really could only depress the piston not much more than 1/8" once I got the tool in. I used a lot of pressure. Do you think the caliper is ruined?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
volksman1950 said:
Jokila,

I really could only depress the piston not much more than 1/8" once I got the tool in. I used a lot of pressure. Do you think the caliper is ruined?
Doesn't sound like you did any compression of the piston back into the caliper. At least not much You should just try turning it in without putting pressure. You very well could have a misaligned piston given what you said.

andgosun

TDI
1999 Jetta
I had the same retract problem on another vehicle, and when I finally got it reassembled the brake would not release after braking. It seemed to drag. I finally took it to my mechanic and he found a collapsed brake hose - replaced it and it worked perfectly. The fluid should go back to the master brake cylinder or the brake can drag.

mj1053

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI DSG
Hey guys, where can I purchase the Metalnerd brake rest tool? Also how much does it cost? I have a 2003 Jetta TDI and i am having all kinda heck getting the piston to retract. I got the piston out, but it will not retract all the way. Am I suppsosed to remove the brake cable? Thanks!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
You need to pull the piston and replace the boot (yes it is available seperately). Once you repair the boot (invloves removing the piston) then you can resume pushing the piston back in.

DB